Linking to a lesson saved on the PC

JeffreyS

You are never to old to learn something new.
I always download Griff's videos to my PC whether purchased or his email videos. Has anyone found a way to link to a lesson on the PC rather than to an internet source?

I think it would be helpful for example to link directly to the MP3 for a lesson backing track that I have already completed the lesson on and just want to go directly to practicing the piece.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Depending on what you're talking about, there may be a number of ways to do it or it might not be doable. The big question would be from what you're trying to link. Personally, rather than trying to link to them, I'd do what I do. Once a lesson is downloaded, copy it over to a folder structure that you've got categorized. That way, when I need a particular lesson or jam track, I just hit the appropriate folder.

Give us a little more information on what you're wanting (link from a table of contents style doc or something?) and someone may be able to give you a better idea of how to accomplish it. However, and this is definitely an imho thing, trying to create links to everything would be more cumbersome and time consuming than it's worth.

JeffreyS

Depending on what you're talking about, there may be a number of ways to do it or it might not be doable. The big question would be from what you're trying to link. Personally, rather than trying to link to them, I'd do what I do. Once a lesson is downloaded, copy it over to a folder structure that you've got categorized. That way, when I need a particular lesson or jam track, I just hit the appropriate folder.

Give us a little more information on what you're wanting (link from a table of contents style doc or something?) and someone may be able to give you a better idea of how to accomplish it. However, and this is definitely an imho thing, trying to create links to everything would be more cumbersome and time consuming than it's worth.

Thanks for the response. I do something similar to what you do. I just thought it would be cool to be able to link directly to a file residing on my PC. Save a few steps not a big deal.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I don't have the practice generator tool and I don't know if it will allow it, but the form of a URL to a local file is like this: file:///C:/Users/Doug%20Shick/Documents/localfile.htm

That would link to a file called "localfile.htm" in Doug Shick's Documents folder on the C: drive (Windows). The triple forward-slash is not a typo.

JeffreyS

I don't have the practice generator tool and I don't know if it will allow it, but the form of a URL to a local file is like this: file:///C:/Users/Doug%20Shick/Documents/localfile.htm

That would link to a file called "localfile.htm" in Doug Shick's Documents folder on the C: drive (Windows). The triple forward-slash is not a typo.

So would Half Basie ending .mp4 have to be renamed to Half Basie Ending.htm? and if so how would Windows know how to play the file?

file:///C:/Users/Doug%20Shick/Documents/Half Basie Ending.htm

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
No, leave the .mp4 suffix as is. You'd want to replace each space in the file name with %20 and of course the rest of the path needs to match the file location on your computer, not mine, but that's what I would try. Your browser should be able to open the appropriate application to play the MP4 file, provided the practice tool and security settings allow it.

JeffreyS

///C:/Users/Jeff/Documents/Guitar/GriffHamlin/BluesGuitarUnleashed2.0/Lesson4/BGU2%20Lesson%20Jam%20Track.mp3

The above gives me this error.
This site can’t be reached
c’s server DNS address could not be found.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Looks like you omitted the file: at the start of the link.

file:///C:/Users/Jeff/Documents/Guitar/GriffHamlin/BluesGuitarUnleashed2.0/Lesson4/BGU2%20Lesson%20Jam%20Track.mp3

JeffreyS

Omitted it when I pasted it here but I did include it in the path for the Practice Log, it didn't wotk

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
First, it helps to have a file structure that is organized. You can then create a page using a number of different applications.

I used Open Office Writer and then exported it as a PDF.

Create a page

Link files -

Insert

Hyperlink (choose Document)

Document Path (select folder icon and click on desired file – then choose Open and then click Apply)

Do this for each file of interest.

To open the file from the page, use Ctrl and Click once using your Mouse

The page can be in one of the files or on your desktop.

An example:

Blues Stuff

Lesson 1

PDF

MP4

MP3 Normal Speed

MP3 Slow Speed

MP3 Backing Track

Tom

JeffreyS

Tom that would work but I was trying to link from the practice generator itself. I too am very picky about the file structure this is how I do it C:/Users/Jeff/Documents/Guitar/GriffHamlin/BluesGuitarUnleashed2.0/BGU2_Lesson_4_Jam_Track.mp3

DannyB

2 miles from Jim Beam. Oh! Pleasent Hope!
Still revenant.

You all proved the OPs point. It would benefit members to “easily” point to a resident mp4.

I just want it to work, and not be a techno geek to make it work. I doubt I’m the only one.

But, I’m not a coder, so easier said than done!
:Beer:

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
Yes I would still like to able to do this.
Maybe if you could explain better what you mean by "link to a lesson on the PC".

First off, are you running an Apple or Windows? Then are you talking about having link on your desktop so that when you double-click on it it will start up your video player with a particular Griff lesson (mp4) loaded?

I have my system set up (I'm running Windows) so that MP4 files are registered to VLC Video player. If I double click on any MP4 file it will call up VLC to play it.

If you go to the mp4 video you want to link to you can right click on it and "Create a Shortcut". Do that. Then in the same directory will now be a file called "Name of the File in Question"- Shortcut.lnk

I just reread your post and see where you are talking about a backing track. This still applies. Right click on your mp3 file, your backing track, and create the shortcut. Rename your shortcut to something like "My Backing Track.lnk". Leave the file extension "lnk". Now move this file to where ever you want it. When you double click it, it will start your audio player which will start playing your backing track.

JeffreyS

Maybe if you could explain better what you mean by "link to a lesson on the PC".

First off, are you running an Apple or Windows? Then are you talking about having link on your desktop so that when you double-click on it it will start up your video player with a particular Griff lesson (mp4) loaded?

I have my system set up (I'm running Windows) so that MP4 files are registered to VLC Video player. If I double click on any MP4 file it will call up VLC to play it.

If you go to the mp4 video you want to link to you can right click on it and "Create a Shortcut". Do that. Then in the same directory will now be a file called "Name of the File in Question"- Shortcut.lnk

I just reread your post and see where you are talking about a backing track. This still applies. Right click on your mp3 file, your backing track, and create the shortcut. Rename your shortcut to something like "My Backing Track.lnk". Leave the file extension "lnk". Now move this file to where ever you want it. When you double click it, it will start your audio player which will start playing your backing track.

Thanks for your response by link I mean add a lesson to the Practice generator that resides on my HD rather than on the internet. At the moment it can't be done regardless of the platform. This would be helpful when you have completed a lesson and just want to practice playing to the backing track. It isn't a big deal.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I have little doubt that there are some substantial security issues and I'd have to have the Practice Generator run on something other than just a web browser to do that (Java or some such platform.)

It's pretty hard to allow a browser window to interact directly with your computer's files - again, it's a HUGE security hole so most browsers simply don't allow it. And your computer's anti-malware protection stuff would probably light up like a Christmas tree.

But you bring up a good point about being able to go to the backing track directly for a lesson - I'll have to see if there's a way that maybe I could make that work.