Finally found my way Down to the Station

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Man! [and woman], this acoustic guitar stuff is kicking my butt! I figured it would be a little more difficult to play, but this is really gonna take awhile. After so many years on the electric, this feels like going back to the gym and working out with heavy weights! I think a lot more finger strength (both hands!) is required. Oh well, lower expectations, more patience!
I got a little bogged down on the first song, but I wanted to spend more time to try to develop some kind of finger-picking ability. (It's new to me). When I saw glynnd's post about "fingers or pick" it made me think about how bad I am at finger-picking, so I really want that to improve during this ABGU course. I got ambitious and recorded both the finger-picking and a pick version. On to lesson 15!

Down to the Station (jmin-fingers)
Down to the Station (jmin-pick)

I recorded this on my Fender Sonoran, directly into an apogee jam interface, and into a Mac, using Garageband's acoustic amp.

Annie

On my way
Nice Jmin. But then I would never expect anything less from you. Makes me want to get ABGU too.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Sounds great!! Both versions! :Beer:

I've been working on this song too. I actually took out my Tascam audio interface out. OK, now I'll take it out of the box and see the next steps to record............ o_O

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Nice Jmin. But then I would never expect anything less from you. Makes me want to get ABGU too.
Thanks, Annie! It's a really cool course, and somehow feels completely different than BGU...thought i'd be further along than I am, but I'm a true beginner at this acoustic stuff!

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Both were very good. Right in time, no hesitations. And the tempo was pretty brisk. I like the softer sound of the thumb on the bass strings in the finger version.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Both were very good. Right in time, no hesitations. And the tempo was pretty brisk. I like the softer sound of the thumb on the bass strings in the finger version.
Funny you should mention that. I actually spent some time just plucking the bass strings at different angles and different parts of my thumb to hear the different sounds. There's a lot of different acoustic techniques I got to learn!

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Funny you should mention that. I actually spent some time just plucking the bass strings at different angles and different parts of my thumb to hear the different sounds. There's a lot of different acoustic techniques I got to learn!
That's a cool thing about acoustic. Don't need an amp. Don't even need a pick- just your fingers on the strings.

For a master class see Tommy Emmanuel.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Very nice! For me, fingerstyle is so much fun. Perhaps because that is how I started when I was 10. You did a great job. Keep it up. Fingerstyle is very personal. Your fingers do the "talking". :)

Tom

Ivan

Blues Newbie
Man alive jmin.....I just spotted this tonight. That was absolutely awesome. Both picking and finger style. I think I need to revisit this course.
Well done.....

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Thanks Ivan! I appreciate the encouragement! This acoustic course is more challenging than I thought...and going to take a lot more time than I anticipated.

BeginnerBob

Blues Newbie
Very nice! I started working on this lesson about a year ago and still haven't got it down well enough to record. Listening to your great sound gives me some inspiration to keep working away on this.

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Very nice! I started working on this lesson about a year ago and still haven't got it down well enough to record. Listening to your great sound gives me some inspiration to keep working away on this.
Thanks Bob! I think the acoustic guitar is just a little tougher and less forgiving than an electric. We'll both have have to just keep "picking away" at it! I'm hoping to be ready to record the next one this week.

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Very nice playing jmin. Both versions were spot on. I learned this a few years ago.
Personally, I like the version you flat picked...I just like the feel of the attack.

(BW)

Better off with the Blues!
Man! [and woman], this acoustic guitar stuff is kicking my butt! I figured it would be a little more difficult to play, but this is really gonna take awhile. After so many years on the electric, this feels like going back to the gym and working out with heavy weights! I think a lot more finger strength (both hands!) is required. Oh well, lower expectations, more patience!
I got a little bogged down on the first song, but I wanted to spend more time to try to develop some kind of finger-picking ability. (It's new to me). When I saw glynnd's post about "fingers or pick" it made me think about how bad I am at finger-picking, so I really want that to improve during this ABGU course. I got ambitious and recorded both the finger-picking and a pick version. On to lesson 15!

Down to the Station (jmin-fingers)
Down to the Station (jmin-pick)

I recorded this on my Fender Sonoran, directly into an apogee jam interface, and into a Mac, using Garageband's acoustic amp.
Nice! I really enjoyed both of them. I feel like the finger picking version is more playing on the porch style. The flatpic version seems more appropriate for performing live in front of an audience. Just seems to have more authority. Either way, nicely done and keep it up.

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
Very well played, your finger version was good and crisp, you must have very accurate fingers (what ever they are!), because the notes rang clear. Good one. (y)