How Am I Ever Going To Learn All These New Scales?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
So my cars’s fixed and this is my last night on the road. I won’t have internet access for several weeks, so I’m posting a couple videos I did last night.

I was going to redo them cause I hit a few wrong notes, but I’m too burnt out from driving. So when you hear them, ignore them (There’s not that many). It’s the concepts that are important not my proficiency in playing scales. (I’m learning this right along with you).

Summary:

You don’t have to learn a bunch of new scales. We have the same 5 boxes we’ve always used. All we’re going to do is add 2 notes to the Major Pentatonic, the 4 & 7. In G that’s the C & F#.

We already know each box has a Major and minor root, G and E. So we already know 2 modes, G Major & E minor as pentatonic scales.

Box 1 starts on the Em root. Box 2 starts on the G Major root. Box 3 starts on?

A, which is the A Dorian root. Box 4 starts on B, the B Phrygian root. Box 5 starts on D, the D Mixolydian root. Box 1, back to the Em (Aeolian) root. So you’ve actually been playing 5 modes every time you practice your boxes starting from their lowest note!

Up to now we only cared about where the G and E are in each box, but now we’re going to play from every note in the Major scale.

The only thing that is new is adding 2 notes to each box. We just “modify” our patterns by adding in the new notes (C&F#) to each box.

Instead of having 5 potential roots, we now have 7 possible roots in each box.

Box 2 now has F# as the lowest note and box 4 has the C a half step up from B.

So we have 2, 6th string roots is Box 2, F# & G and 2 in box 4, B&C.

(In Griff’s video he showed the right-facing option from the 6th string root of each mode.)

Every thing we know about the pentatonic boxes is true for the “new” “Complete” Major boxes.

Wherever we can find a G on any string, we can play a left or right-facing G Major pattern.

For every A, we can play a left or right-facing A Dorian pattern, etc.

But every pattern will still fall into one of the Boxes we already know.

Again, the only difference is we have 7 notes instead of 5 and we can start a scale from any of the 7 notes in each box.

There is still only 5 Major Scale patterns in 5 Boxes and we can start from any of the 7 notes in the 5 patterns/boxes.

The Same 5 Boxes
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/qaxb3s8r4pu0q7o/modes-1.m4v?dl=0

Still related to the 5 Open Chord Shapes
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/5ozw4ad2sxjkd15/modes-2.m4v?dl=0

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Every time I see you post that observation about the 2 extra notes, I have to smack myself upside the head because it is such an easy way to think about it. I just have to remember to do it!

Chaplain Ed

Blues Newbie
So my cars’s fixed and this is my last night on the road. I won’t have internet access for several weeks, so I’m posting a couple videos I did last night.

I was going to redo them cause I hit a few wrong notes, but I’m too burnt out from driving. So when you hear them, ignore them (There’s not that many). It’s the concepts that are important not my proficiency in playing scales. (I’m learning this right along with you).

Summary:

You don’t have to learn a bunch of new scales. We have the same 5 boxes we’ve always used. All we’re going to do is add 2 notes to the Major Pentatonic, the 4 & 7. In G that’s the C & F#.

We already know each box has a Major and minor root, G and E. So we already know 2 modes, G Major & E minor as pentatonic scales.

Box 1 starts on the Em root. Box 2 starts on the G Major root. Box 3 starts on?

A, which is the A Dorian root. Box 4 starts on B, the B Phrygian root. Box 5 starts on D, the D Mixolydian root. Box 1, back to the Em (Aeolian) root. So you’ve actually been playing 5 modes every time you practice your boxes starting from their lowest note!

Up to now we only cared about where the G and E are in each box, but now we’re going to play from every note in the Major scale.

The only thing that is new is adding 2 notes to each box. We just “modify” our patterns by adding in the new notes (C&F#) to each box.

Instead of having 5 potential roots, we now have 7 possible roots in each box.

Box 2 now has F# as the lowest note and box 4 has the C a half step up from B.

So we have 2, 6th string roots is Box 2, F# & G and 2 in box 4, B&C.

(In Griff’s video he showed the right-facing option from the 6th string root of each mode.)

Every thing we know about the pentatonic boxes is true for the “new” “Complete” Major boxes.

Wherever we can find a G on any string, we can play a left or right-facing G Major pattern.

For every A, we can play a left or right-facing A Dorian pattern, etc.

But every pattern will still fall into one of the Boxes we already know.

Again, the only difference is we have 7 notes instead of 5 and we can start a scale from any of the 7 notes in each box.

There is still only 5 Major Scale patterns in 5 Boxes and we can start from any of the 7 notes in the 5 patterns/boxes.

The Same 5 Boxes
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/qaxb3s8r4pu0q7o/modes-1.m4v?dl=0

Still related to the 5 Open Chord Shapes
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/5ozw4ad2sxjkd15/modes-2.m4v?dl=0
Ya lost me at Summary: