New Look and Name For Monoprice Amps

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
They haven't changed the photos on their website, but those who have recently purchased the Monoprice 15 or 5 watt amps have shown that they now have front panel controls (rather than top) and are called "Stage Right".
They're apparently the same in other aspects. I think I like the old style better.

Monoprice15.jpg

Monoprice5.jpg

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
agree on the older model...I prefer the controls on the top...but that's just my opinion...later.

cowboy

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I keep mine on a tilt back stand so having the controls on the front panel is really appealing. I also like the fact that the back is now open for cord storage, and that they are apparently now using a full size metal Reverb tank in place of the plastic one.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
The old models had two input jacks for power selection. Does this one have a button instead?

Edit: googled it and yes, grey button is to switch between low and high power.

Last edited:

LLL

Workin' the Blues
So does that mean that the 15watt model is not no longer a Laney Cub 12r clone?

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Not a true Clone for sure unless they Laneys start shipping with a front panel too.
I haven't found any info yet on whether they have the same electronics, although it sounds like the speaker is the same. The reverb tank is a metal tank, not the blue plastic one most Monoprice amps had, although I was one of the lucky ones that got a good reverb tank in my original Monoprice.

RussellC

Blues Newbie
I order the 15 watt version yesterday. The 20% coupon covered the shipping, but I had to buy another item that cost at least $1 to reach the $200 to use coupon.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
So does that mean that the 15watt model is not no longer a Laney Cub 12r clone?

It seems as though it is the same chassis but with a few changes in response to customer feedback. From the comparisons I saw of the original amp, which I have, it isn't really a clone. It is the same chassis used by Laney but distributed by Monoprice under their own branding.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
Not a true Clone for sure unless they Laneys start shipping with a front panel too.
I haven't found any info yet on whether they have the same electronics, although it sounds like the speaker is the same. The reverb tank is a metal tank, not the blue plastic one most Monoprice amps had, although I was one of the lucky ones that got a good reverb tank in my original Monoprice.

any idea of what brand/model of the reverb tank?...usually replacement tanks are rather cheap...thanks...later.

cowboy