More for Guitar or More for Amp

Stinger22

Blues Junior
There is no right answer. It is strictly a personal matter no one can tell some one else which is a correct answer. I bond with guitars AND amps. Sometimes it's look at my guitar and think man did you play and sound good tonight, sometimes it's the amp I'm hugging. Sometimes it's a pedal that out of the 5 OD/Boost I have on my board that I stuck with all night because in that room that environment it just sounded sooooooo good.

Main rig
Mesa Express 5:25 (LOTS of tones to be had)
Gibby ES-339
Fender 2011 AmStd Strat
Fender 60th Anniversary Tele
All the guitars lots of tones and different feels.

Aux.
Fender DRRI
Fender BDRI
Fender BJ special edition with Cannabis Rex speaker
Peavey Deuce 1978
2 Fender Mex Strat
1 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele
Gibby 1978 ES-347

Bernie Fitz

Blues Junior
I feel pretty fortunate that I was on the Forum at the right time to hear about Art Nace's closeout sale of the M1-18r amp a couple of years ago. With the $499 price it just about matches the +/- $500 I paid for my MIM Tele. A great combination. I see the new Pro-18 has come down about $300 since its inception. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Mr. Nace has a brilliant idea for another new model and runs a closeout on these in a few years. Gotta have a dream.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
I feel pretty fortunate that I was on the Forum at the right time to hear about Art Nace's closeout sale of the M1-18r amp a couple of years ago.
Ditto!
As far as guitars or amps go, the only time price matters is if you can't afford it or you are buying it to sell for a profit. You can for sure find a very good guitar or amp in just about any price range. Tubes, circuit boards, plain or fancy, get what you want. Take any advice (especially mine) with a grain of salt.
:Beer:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Every time the cheap guitar v. expensive guitar argument comes up, I get a flashback to the National Lampoon's "Lemmings" album. Half of the original vinyl album was "Woodshuck: Three Days of Peace, Love and Death", a parody of "Woodstock: Three Days of Peace and Music." There is a section where they spoof the speech made by the farm's owner, Max Yasgur (Max Yassir in the parody), where he says, "Long hair... Short hair... Whats the difference once the heads blown off!" Kind of the same way with the names on the headstocks.

Yeah, I know it's completely out of context, but the mind (especially mine) seems to fly in and out of reality with amazing regularity.

gpower

Blues Junior
I'm in the better amp group. There are quite a few decent budget guitars to be found, that with a bit of tweaking can be really good.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Every time the cheap guitar v. expensive guitar argument comes up, I get a flashback to the National Lampoon's "Lemmings" album. Half of the original vinyl album was "Woodshuck: Three Days of Peace, Love and Death", a parody of "Woodstock: Three Days of Peace and Music." There is a section where they spoof the speech made by the farm's owner, Max Yasgur (Max Yassir in the parody), where he says, "Long hair... Short hair... Whats the difference once the heads blown off!" Kind of the same way with the names on the headstocks.

Yeah, I know it's completely out of context, but the mind (especially mine) seems to fly in and out of reality with amazing regularity.
Once you "accept reality", it's all over! :)

Tom

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I have 3 Epi's (JB Les Paul, 339 and Wilshire) and three Gibsons (Traditional LP, 2 doublecuts w/P90's)...each is different in their own right...I never look at them in terms of difference of price but in terms of sound...
What he said. I've got an Epi Sheraton (1962 Anniversary model = out of the box with USA parts, Gibby mini-bucks etc = theoretically nicer than your average Sherry) and a Gibson 335 Studio. The Gibby cost twice as much. There are things I like about each that I think are better than the other. The Epi has those mini-buckers in it, so I think it has a (I'm never sure how to describe it so I'll say) smoothness that none of my others have. It's got a really nice sound. The Gibby has those 57 Classics in it, and I think everyone on the forum likes the sound of those. Two different guitars, two different sounds and I like them both. When I reach over to grab one and play it, its cost doesn't cross my mind.

Some folks think really expensive guitars are worth it. Others don't. Martin recently made that 2-millionth edition guitar that was selling for $150k. Ugly as heck to me, and, although I love me a D-45, I'd never pay that much for one no matter what anniversary it commemorates. But somebody, somewhere will see some value in it and buy it. Value is in the pocketbook of the buyer.

Back to the original question, the easy answer for me would be to say to aim to split the difference 50/50. If you want new, get a good mid-level guitar or a little bit nicer one that's used, and be sure that you leave enough to be sure that it's setup properly. Then aim to spend what's left on a good, little tube amp. That'd be my easy answer. BTW - I'm not a cork sniffer (I have tube amps, SS amps, and hybrid amps), I just believe that I consistently hear that something in my tube amps that I don't always hear in the others, and you can easily get one for under 5 bills now.

Problem is there are all kinds of variables to consider. Like some of the others have said, you might spend one way if you're planning on doing most of your playing at the hacienda or you might spend another way if you plan on getting with some buddies to jam or play out at all. As an advanced beginner, if you already have a guitar that plays well and an amp that sounds good, treat yourself to a pedal or something, and then, like some of the others have said, grab a good recorder if you don't have one and invest in a local teacher for a bit. Not taking anything from Griff, but someone local can give you a little direction, hold you accountable to actually practice, and give you feedback on how you're doing in real time.

DannyB

2 miles from Jim Beam. Oh! Pleasent Hope!
The loud sound you hear comes from your amp.

A killer guitar will sound bad out of a cheezy amp. A decent, in-expensive guitar will sound killer out of a great amp.

Last edited:

giayank

Just another day in paradise
Once you "accept reality", it's all over! :)

Tom
reality is for those who can't face drugs.

my take on the amp guitar question. Buy whatever you like . It's your preference. The problem is it will take you half a life time to figure out it's what you like not what other people like.;)

B

Bolar

What is this "Reality" you're talking about? I have searched both Netflix and HBO, but can't find it.

Cleotis

Boiled Eggs Rock
There's some cool work-arounds. While chasing a particular sound/tone that an SS amp wouldn't provide, a tube amp was obtained. Got the desired sounds/tones with that. But here's the interesting thing, shortly after getting the tube amp a $200 Mesa Throttle Box was also gotten. The Throttle Box made the SS amps sound the way I like it too. So, perhaps a $200 Throttle Box, a $350 Fender Champion 100W SS amp, and a $400 Squier Classic Vibe Stratocaster would fit the bill. You could buy some good beer with the leftover $50 to drink while you're blasting out some wild-ass high-gain riffs. (y)

gpower

Blues Junior
Along those lines Cleotis, another little gem I've tried on a bunch of different amps is A BBE SonicStomp. It made every amp I've tried sound better.. more open. It's hard to describe but many people have said it's like lifting a blanket off. Mine's one of those always on pedals.