Is this course for me?

caprica

Blues Newbie
I have been working my way through BGU2 section on solos 1, 2 and 3 and it is just not coming together for me. I struggle to keep up with the slow versions of the solos (the full speed version is too hard for me). In the solos it is not the speed of the individual notes, it is the mix of bends, pull offs, tweedles, etc that trip me up.

So I am wondering if there is something supplemental, like this course, I should be doing to get my chops up?

ps. Prior to starting BGU2, I have been playing melodies over pentatonic scales using patterns from the Justin Guitar intermediate course:

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/IM-136-BuildingMelodicPatterns.php

My fingers happily run up and down the scale at 120 bpm using Justin's patterns. At 140 bpm the error rate picks up, so there is more room for improvement.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
The Pentatonic Mastery Course was my segway to whatever level of fret-board mastery I have today. It has helped me with every course I've taken since then regardless of acoustic or electric. It also helps combining the Major and minor scales as quickly as possible and that is the key to so much in the Blues or Blues Rock........... I recommended this course to anyone wanting to learn riffs or how to solo..........

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
The two "five easy solos" courses might be good for building those chops, too. Griff mixes those elements into them as you go along and the solos themselves are straightforward enough in composition you might find it easy to focus on the sugar that's giving you grief.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Pentatonic Scales and Mastery or whatever it's called and some of Griff's turbo training to get your speed up

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I have felt your pain. I am a combination of all of the above.

I gave up on BGU and went to the Pentatonic Mastery and 5 Easy Blues Solos courses.

Pentatonic Mastery is just what it says it is. You'll learn the "Boxes" forward and backwards and the scales along one string and on pairs of strings. Also you'll improve your timing by working in quarter, 8th and 16th notes and playing the scales in melodic patterns. Added bonus: Your speed will increase.

5 Easy Blues Solos are basically "easier" than BGU solos 3-6.

I actually went on to 5 More Easy Blues Solos and the Major Minor scale shapes before going back to BGU.

And I was able to complete all 6 solos in BGU.:)

And go on to more "advanced" material.

caprica

Blues Newbie
Thanks everyone. I will look into the 5 easy blues solos as a way of building my speed when playing with sugar.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
If you are struggling with BGU, PSTM will be a real challenge.I'd recommend Soloing Without Scales or 5 Easy Blues Solos.