Chicago Blues Guitar Method

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Well, the reality is that I have been collecting music literature since I was six years old. I have many collections of music and continue to add what I like. When I find something that is in print and useful, I like to tell others about it.

A nice thing about music literature is that it never becomes obsolete. That is so different from my programming books, which are obsolete about one week after they are published! :(

I like music books of different types, as I play many different instruments. Some are truly useful, and those are the ones I purchase. Method books are problematical, as not every author knows how to connect with the average player.

By the way, I did create a computer application in 1995, for the music industry. It was designed for music literature stores (of which there are few today). One of these days I am going to take a screen shot of the app and post it on this forum.

Any piece of music I recommend is something that I own and see value in for others to use. I truly do not believe that there is only one source for all knowledge.

I really miss the music literature stores that were in the San Francisco Bay Area, where I live. So many have gone. Even music stores like Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, which has top value instruments, has dropped almost all of its printed music lines.

Tom

twbuff

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get!
Yes, with the advent of the computer, a lot of people think you can "digitize" something and that will replace the printed version - which is patently NOT TRUE! Nothing beats a good book - particularly a good music book. Keep up the fight Tom, I'm with you all the way.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Yes, Tom, I'm with you on the printed material also. I have boxes and boxes of music "stuff" that I have accumulated over many years, and I find it quite valuable. Computer based learning materials and methods definitely have their place, and exhibit certain advantages, but the same is true of printed materials. I can gather up various different pieces of printed material on the same or similar topic and lay it out on the table or floor or music stand, and quickly move back and forth between them, or see them simultaneously. I can rearrange them, I can mark them up with my personal notes, and on and on - things that are hard to do on a computer. And yes, there are things I can do with the computer that are difficult with the paper.
At one point, I had many boxes full of old Guitar Player magazines. I went through them page by page and cut out only the information that I thought would be valuable to me. I reduced its size tremendously and recycled the "excess" paper. It remains a great resource to this day, and I often go back through it to find certain articles that I know are there. Sometimes a different perspective is just what is needed to grasp an idea or certain information.
We live in a great age - information was never so available or so flexible as it is today. Just imagine what the future will bring.
I can't wait for the complete virtual band using 3D full color holographic projections where I can choose my side men for each song and play along with them whenever and wherever I want to. And yes, I want it to be the size of a cell phone, battery powered, and work in full daylight. Of course it will generate sound adequate to fill a stadium too. And have exploding effects. On a clear night, it will also project images on the moon. It will be great for busking!! :D
Tom

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Tom, while I always value your opinions, I was getting ready to chew you out for trying to add one more course to the plate...I'm already backed up on Griff's courses! But you make a good point about real music literature!
I'm pulling out my old books and looking at Hal Leonard, Hy White, Wilbur Savidge, William Leavitt, Alfred d'Auberge, and don't forget Bert Weedon! Just thinking that I probably learned more from Griff than all those books put together...a good teacher really helps!

Silicon Valley Tom

Yes, a good teacher is so valuable! There comes a time when you must become your own teacher. You decide what you want to learn and how it should sound. That is when you truly enjoy your music. Someone has to inspire you, and set you in the right direction. It is up to you to know a good source from one that should be avoided. :)

Tom

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
Thanks Tom. Chicago Blues is exactly what I hope to play someday. This looks very interesting.

Silicon Valley Tom

Tom, did you buy this course? It appears not to include a DVD but downloadable audios... not videos? For $20 I can't go far wrong but I don't need added frustration.
Thanks, Pat
Pat, there are no videos with this book, just 122 downloadable MP3's, and yes, I purchased it. We all learn differently, and this series has good explanations, as well as examples. The beginning of the book covers Rhythms (47 pages), Intros and Endings, with the remainder of the book devoted to lead Guitar, and six solos. There are 106 pages in total.

One way to approach this or any book is to pick and "choose what you like the most, and save the rest for later"! :):Beer:

Tom

Last edited:

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
Thanks Tom. The author mentioned that he discusses 10 blues chord sequences. I was curious about that, so I went ahead and ordered it. :rolleyes:

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I have it, and I've been cherry picking some stuff I can put to use right away. I haven't got too far into it yet, but it's a good supplement to the BGU material.

Silicon Valley Tom

I have it, and I've been cherry picking some stuff I can put to use right away. I haven't got too far into it yet, but it's a good supplement to the BGU material.
I agree! I like to pick and choose what I am interested in and this publication allows me to do that very nicely. The concept is good and the material is useful.

Tom

Silicon Valley Tom

Tempus fugit! Time flies!

It is almost two years since this thread began, and I thought it would be fun to revisit it. I worked through the book some time ago, and pick it up from time to time. It is a fun read, and enjoyable to go through the exercises. There is a lot of meat and potatoes in this publication, and a good source for supplemental Blues knowledge.

The book is what is says: Learn Chicago Blues Rhythm and Soloing. There are no videos, so if you need help you have to figure it out, use YouTube, or find an instructor or friend who can help. You download the audio examples, and emulate what you hear.

There is good emphasis on playing Rhythm Guitar, and basic techniques such as pull off's, hammer on's, bending, double stops, and slides. Intros, turnarounds, and endings are covered. Lots of good advice is given along the way. Then you get into soloing.

For those of you who have this book, your comments would be appreciated.

Tom