Amps I think my Amp died. Help

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
you could try "dry" cleaning ie inserting 1/4 jacks into where ever they go multiple times along with the same deal with any 1/8 jacks,,just to clean/reposition the contacts in the female jacks ;),,but ALL of them even if you dont think its important to the problem

KAS2

Blues Newbie
Ok when I plug into the Vox guitar input with the guitar and use the Send to the guitar input of my Yamaha there is sound. So that is something, good or bad?

Norfolk Bill

yep sounds like it could be the effects loop or headphone as ive already said,,,preamp stage is all good,,,

KAS2

Blues Newbie
Bill I did the dry cleaning and still nothing. We had a bit of snow today here in Atlanta so of course the city is more or less shut down. So I most likely won’t get the contact spray until tomorrow.

When I had the amp torn apart to get to the tubes, I did peak at the connections to the speaker and it looked ok to me.

Norfolk Bill

ok no worries :),,just trying to save you time and tech money,,it may well be something else but these are the "standard" problems with these amps :)

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Yes, your pre-amp is working now. When you plugged the guitar into the Return input and got nothing, that means your power amp section is NOT working.

Did you do these two tests, and then swap tubes?

What were the results of the above tests after you swapped the tubes?

KAS2

Blues Newbie
I did the Return test before & after switching the tubes, with negative results. I only did the Send to the other amp after I switched the tubes, which is where I’m at now. I can change them back if you think that will help? although major pain, literally like 30 screws need to be removed!

I am fairly certain that it’s an issue with the power amp. Like I said earlier it use to be kind of loud when it “powers up”, could hear it click on. Now it’s quite, with the tubes either way.

Not sure how I’m going to handle this if it’s the power amp? sounds expensive & not sure I want to invest in this if it only last less than two years!

Norfolk Bill

did you try the headphone jack in and out? on the old ones that was part of the signal chain to the power amp as well as the effects loop

Norfolk Bill

ok the only other thing i can think of is to do the jack in and out of the headphone jack to clean it ,,try it all again with contact cleaner in the jacks could take multiple cleans,,,failing that sadly we have dismissed well known obvious problems with these amps,,,could be a tech job after all

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
It doesn't sound like the tubes are involved.

Solid state power amp parts are cheap. Maybe $10-$20 to replace all the transistors. It's the labor that is murder.

If there is any way to get it to St. Louis I would be glad to look at it.

KAS2

Blues Newbie
Thanks CapnDenny, I wish I could get it to you! I’ll try the contact cleaner but fear it’s more than that. I’m going to do some checking on shops but like you said I think labor costs aren’t going to make this a viable option. So much for SS being more reliable than tube amps! At least I have my little Yamaha to hold me over but it’s looking like I may be new amp shopping soon.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
If you could remove the amp portion and just mail that to me, it might not be too bad. Maybe $20 each way, maybe less. SS amps aren't too heavy, and it won't be huge without the enclosure. Just be sure to bubble wrap it up good. I won't charge you any labor. The only expensive thing in these amps is the power transformer. and it's not likely that is the issue.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
KAS you're in Atlanta right? I don't do a lot with amps, mostly pedals, but if all else fails I'd be happy to look at it.

KAS2

Blues Newbie
Capn & PapaBear, thanks I may take you up on your offers. I’m going contact Vox/Korg to see what they have to say & there is a local place that has positive reviews that I’m going to contact. Thanks again.