4 NOTE SOLO

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
What is the difference between the 4 Note Solo and Soloing Without Scale courses?

Would one do one before the other, or could they be done concurrently?

Thanks.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
The 4 Note Solo lesson teaches the 4 note pattern anchored on the second string along with a solo.

Link:

The Soloing Without Scales course teaches that same pattern (now called Blues Block 1) and moves it around to other string sets and keys.

He then adds a note to the pattern (Blues Block 1+1) to complete a 5 note minor pentatonic pattern.

He then changes the "anchor" for a “right-facing” Blues Block 2.

And then introduces Blues Block 3 which is a Major pattern.

Each section has its' own new solo = 7 "4 Note Solos" in all.

The course also has the following additional sections:

Slurs
Bends
Grace Notes
How to find notes
Major Blue note tweak

SWS is an expansion of the 4 Note Solo Lesson.

In fact the complete title of the course is actually "Soloing Without Scales -"The 4 Note Solo""

So, no, I wouldn't see any advantage to doing one before the other.

SWS covers what's in the 4 Note Solo lesson and more. :cool:

But I would certainly check out both (as well as SWS 1.0) as he might explain things slightly differently?

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Those in the know will see how these smaller “Blocks” combine to form “Boxes” or can go by other familiar names.

(Griff emphasizes this to a greater extent in SWS 2.0.)

The idea here is to start “small” and get jamming without all the “mental gymnastics”.

Last edited:

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
What is the difference between the 4 Note Solo and Soloing Without Scale courses?

Would one do one before the other, or could they be done concurrently?

Thanks.
The 4 Note Solo is really a mini-course, by comparison to SWS. And while it's the launching pad for the idea, SWS is far more in depth, with several complete solo examples, so it's much more of an in-depth thing.

So you could easily do them both together or separate. If you do SWS, you would never even *need* The 4 Note Solo, you would have all of those skills and ideas.

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Embarrassed to say I have barely looked at the 4 notes course, though that was one of the emails that pulled me in. I have done SWS, and as time goes by I'm learning little areas of the neck up and down and across all 6 strings fairly well. I'm playing all over the neck more, I just need to do it with more intent. It's coming more each day. Doing the house pattern now, the 4 note would be a good followup.