About Blues Block #1 +1

Blase713

Blues Newbie
Hey guys!
I knew all my pentatonic boxes before getting into this course but this is for me an amazing way to see the fretboard and it makes it so much easier to navigate it!

I have a question about it and I’ve attached a chart I made with the Blues Block so I can explain it better.

1: In pink we have the pentatonic scale.

2: We’ve got the blues block #1.

3: We have the BB #1 + 1 like it’s explained in the manual of this course.

4: is another way the BB #1 + 1 can be seen but I don’t know if it’s correct.

My question is:

Does the +1 note always have to lead to the Blues Block #1 (like in the example 3 on the chart) or it’s a note that should always be considered playable even though somethings leads nowhere?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_8050.jpeg
    IMG_8050.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 18

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I think it will be helpful to think in terms of scale degrees.

Blues Block #1 actually has the b7 below the root as its' lowest note: b7 R b3 4 (Eb F Ab Bb in your diagrams)

There's no 5.

The next occurrence across the neck would repeat it: b7 R b3 4 b7 R b3 4 (Eb F Ab Bb Eb F Ab Bb)

Still no 5.

The +1 is the "missing" 5 that would connect them: b7 R b3 4 5 b7 R b3 4 (5 =C; Eb F Ab Bb C Eb F Ab Bb)

You now have a complete octave From R to R (F to F) with a b7 below the root and a b3 & 4 above:

b7 R b3 4 5 b7 R b3 4 (Eb F Ab Bb C Eb F Ab Bb)

So, yes, the +1 (5) will always lead to the b7 of the next occurrence of Blues Block #1 connecting them and completing one octave of the scale.

The thing to realize about Blues Block #1 is that you're starting at the end of an octave (b7) and continuing through part of the next (R b3 4).

The root is not the lowest note in the pattern.

Minor Pentatonic Box 5 starts with the b7 of Blues Block #1 on the 6th string. :cool:

If you added a 7th string to your F minor diagrams there would be another C at the 13th fret below the F at the 13th fret of the 6th string. :unsure:

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
4: is another way the BB #1 + 1 can be seen but I don’t know if it’s correct.
Any way you can see to connect notes is "correct".

The more ways, the better. (y)

You can think of the +1 as both the next note of the scale above and the next note below.

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues

Blase713

Blues Newbie
You’re well on the way to discovering what at some point you’ll hear Griff refer to as this pattern (if you haven’t already).

View attachment 19911

Maybe check out the blog here:

The 2+3 Pentatonic Minor Pattern – Blues Guitar Unleashed Blog

It’s always cool to hear from members when they start to make “new” connections.

Keep up the good work. (y):cool:(y):cool:

That looks interesting!
In what course does he talk about that pattern? Or is it only on the blog you mentioned?
Right now I’m focussing on SWS + Chord by Chord soloing.

Happy new year btw!

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
In what course does he talk about that pattern?
It's actually right there in SWS!

It's 3 occurrences of Blues Block #1+1 by a different name.

2+3 = BB #1+1

On page 58 in SWS Griff connects two occurrences of BB #1+1 starting on the 4th string.

The pattern I posted has another occurrence below those two starting on the 6th string.

Each 2 strings = 1 occurrence of BB #1+1 = 1 occurrence of 2+3.

For Example 47 Griff demonstrates a melodic sequence of 3's starting from the 6th string.

He doesn't provide a fretboard diagram.

But the diagram I posted with R placed on the 6th string 5th fret A would be it.

Then for Example 48 he does the same thing in F starting on the 5th string which would be similar to the diagram back on page 45 with another occurrence added above extending to the first string. :cool:

Last edited:

Blase713

Blues Newbie
It's actually right there in SWS!

It's 3 occurrences of Blues Block #1+1 by a different name.

2+3 = BB #1+1

On page 58 in SWS Griff connects two occurrences of BB #1+1 starting on the 4th string.

The pattern I posted has another occurrence below those two starting on the 6th string.

Each 2 strings = 1 occurrence of BB #1+1 = 1 occurrence of 2+3.

For Example 47 Griff demonstrates a melodic sequence of 3's starting from the 6th string.

He doesn't provide a fretboard diagram.

But the diagram I posted with R placed on the 6th string 5th fret A would be it.

Then for Example 48 he does the same thing in F starting on the 5th string which would be similar to the diagram back on page 45 with another occurrence added above extending to the first string. :cool:

Okay now I see it!
It seems that it’s going to take me a while to fully sink in this course haha!
Thanks again