Alternate ways to make 3 string bent ring finger chord shape

Stanley

Blues Newbie
My ring finger will not bend backwards.
Making A shape barre chords is only possible using the 3 finger method. pinkie, ring, middle.
This gets problematic up the neck where frets are closer together, causing unwanted damping or buzzing even when super careful.

The other chord shape is this B9 shape .B9chordshape.png
not enough fingers to make this one.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
For the B9 mute the 1st string and use your ring finger and pinkie on the 3rd and 2nd strings?

Like an open B7, but with your pinkie on the 2nd string (the 9) instead of the 1st string.

It’ll be moveable to any fret. :cool:

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
If playing blues you won’t need the A (Major) shape. Use your 3rd and 4th fingers in the open A7 chord shape. Am will be even easier with all 4 fingers.

If you need Major play a power chord?

Or lay your 3rd finger essentially flat and don’t worry about the 1st string not ringing out.

Or play the barre with your 1st finger (part of G shape) and mute strings 6, 5 and 1.

Last edited:

Elio

Student Of The Blues
My ring finger will not bend backwards.
Making A shape barre chords is only possible using the 3 finger method. pinkie, ring, middle.
This gets problematic up the neck where frets are closer together, causing unwanted damping or buzzing even when super careful.

The other chord shape is this B9 shape .View attachment 20248
not enough fingers to make this one.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
You shouldn't have to bend it backward all that much to fret those three strings, but if you roll the 3rd finger to the side a little, you will need less of a backward bend. As Paleo suggested, you can also concentrate on the 2nd and 3rd strings and just let the high-e be muted. I use 9th chords quite a bit and I do remember how incredibly awkward they seemed when I first learned them. Now, it is probably the most comfortable chord shape for me.

Elwood

Blues
Any ideas?
don't overthink it, just practice at it. Get a chord that you are comfortable with and just sit and play a couple of beats on your "good chord" and switch (in time) to the B9, or any 9 in that form, and back and forth. At first don't worry about "perfect" just make the change.
When you get better at that switch each beat. 2 things should happen maybe 3, You will get more nimble at changing those chords, you may find a way of fingering those chords that is easier for you, and you will get past that whole "dang this is hard" mental block.
If everyone else has enough fingers odds are you do too. I always think that if every other dumb SOB out there can do it, well I must be qualified then. :unsure:
Give 'er hell! :Beer: