Chord inversions

patb

Blues Junior
Griff recently posted an email video concerning chord inversions. He referred to the root, 2nd, 3rd and 4th inversions. I did not realize the root first stack/ combination is called an inversion. Later, I understood him to refer to the b7th as the 3rd inversion. Did he mis speak? Am i missing something here?
Him playing this reminds me of Claptons introduction to Call Me The Breeze with JJ Cale. Yes?
Thanks, Pat

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
He was speaking of the 4 chord shapes collectively as the "4 inversions" of a “little” 7 chord.

He first explained root position, 1st, 2nd and 3rd inversions.

And then referred to root position as the "root inversion" + 1st, 2nd and 3rd = 4 "inversions" i.e. 4 chord shapes.

The order actually played was:

3rd-root-1st-2nd = 4 “inversions”

Going to root position is an inversion of 3rd inversion . :oops:

Like each shape is an inversion of the other three, but we use root position as our reference for naming them.

I suppose like any patterns, when you play them you don’t actually need to know which ones they are. :unsure:

Last edited:

Jay Dee

Blues addicted
He was speaking of the 4 chord shapes collectively as the "4 inversions" of a “little” 7 chord.

He first explained root position, 1st, 2nd and 3rd inversions.

And then referred to root position as the "root inversion" + 1st, 2nd and 3rd = 4 "inversions" i.e. 4 chord shapes.

The order actually played was:

3rd-root-1st-2nd = 4 “inversions”

Going to root position is an inversion of 3rd inversion . :oops:

Like each shape is an inversion of the other three, but we use root position as our reference for naming them.

I suppose like any patterns, when you play them you don’t actually need to know which ones they are. :unsure:
I want to know stuff like this. I think it's a bit clearer somehow. Thanks

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I want to know stuff like this. I think it's a bit clearer somehow. Thanks
It's kinda like all modes being modes of each other but using the Major scale as reference.

Or having only 3 Diminished 7 chords that repeat every 3 frets up the neck in inversions and using Cdim7 as reference.

I like to think of any variation of a sequence as a "mode", or in this case an"inversion", of that sequence whether "Boxes", CAGED chord shapes, natural notes on each string, etc.

As long as the "objects" themselves don't change you're just creating variations of the sequence by rearranging them either vertically or horizontally, or even “diagonally”, from a different “starting” point. :cool:

Last edited: