Has anyone looked at this guy’s bass instruction material?

Elio

Student Of The Blues
There's nothing wrong with owning a red bass :cool: if it's a short scale, that should be much easier on your hands. Mine held up fine at home, but the first time I had to fill in for the bass player at a 4 hour jam, I definitely felt it. Fortunately, the more I play, the less soreness I experience.

17074596631005037203600315273890.jpg

TexBill

Blues in Texas
How old is that? Some of the older Mustang Basses are worth way more than the original new price.
Best I recall that was circa 2005-06. I was taking private lessons and met a bass player at the store. He and his older brother were in one of the bands at Dolly Wood for a number of years. Afterwards he came to visit his mother who still lived near me on weekends at the time from Dallas (she has since passed) and he now lives in her home). After a couple times seeing him, I asked if he had a time he could teach my wife. He agreed and we went shopping.

Then after her second lesson, she told both or us that it hurt her wrist so much that she had to stop. Well after all those years, I got it our one day last year. Tuned it up, to my surprise it did tune no problem. Then I was playing a song with multiple guitar parts and a simple bass line. I did give the bass a go and was pleasantly amazed it was reasonably decent outcome.

How would I know if this on is valuable or just another older bass? Have not attempted to look up on Fender Serial Search.....

Edit: Just now looked for info and this is what I found.... It Has this: S xx xxxx
Crafted in Japan S + 6 digits2006-2008

Last edited:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
The story behind my getting that Epiphone was I was at the local family-owned music shop one day specifically looking for a bass. Armed with two or three bass lines I'd managed to memorize I was going through the stuff on the wall, playing through a Fender Rumble, trying various ones out and looking for something to get.

An older guy with a full beard (not quite ZZ Top territory but you get the idea) came over to listen for a while; when I paused between basses he asked if I minded a little advice. Of course I didn't! So, he went over to the used rack, brought down the Allen Woody Signature, and suggested I give it a try. I did, and it felt so good! The short scale and the overall feel and handling were spot on for me. I thanked him profusely and packed myself up and went to the counter to buy it.

The owner's son checked me out, and commented that my benefactor was one of the better-known bassists in our area and it was really cool that I got that time with him. To this day I can't remember his name but I'll remember him if I see him again.

The only functional change I made was switching to flat wound strings because I slide my fingers on the strings a lot and I don't like the noise that makes on the rounds (I did the same with the Kala UBass). I also thought the bridge was rather cheaply made and swapped in a Hipshot that was an exact fit. I'm still on the fence about the tuners but it holds tune so well I will probably leave them stock. :Beer:

Elio

Student Of The Blues
The story behind my getting that Epiphone was I was at the local family-owned music shop one day specifically looking for a bass. Armed with two or three bass lines I'd managed to memorize I was going through the stuff on the wall, playing through a Fender Rumble, trying various ones out and looking for something to get.

An older guy with a full beard (not quite ZZ Top territory but you get the idea) came over to listen for a while; when I paused between basses he asked if I minded a little advice. Of course I didn't! So, he went over to the used rack, brought down the Allen Woody Signature, and suggested I give it a try. I did, and it felt so good! The short scale and the overall feel and handling were spot on for me. I thanked him profusely and packed myself up and went to the counter to buy it.

The owner's son checked me out, and commented that my benefactor was one of the better-known bassists in our area and it was really cool that I got that time with him. To this day I can't remember his name but I'll remember him if I see him again.

The only functional change I made was switching to flat wound strings because I slide my fingers on the strings a lot and I don't like the noise that makes on the rounds (I did the same with the Kala UBass). I also thought the bridge was rather cheaply made and swapped in a Hipshot that was an exact fit. I'm still on the fence about the tuners but it holds tune so well I will probably leave them stock. :Beer:
I love flatwounds! I've got them on my bass and on my Eastman hollow-body guitar.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
My sentiments, exactly! Although, it's hard to argue with Carol Kaye using a pick. I just can't seem to adapt to it so I've pretty much given up.
I don't discriminate. Picks have their place.
Whatever works for you is how you should play.
Picking vs. plucking. Each has a unique quality about it.
Flats vs. Rounds. Again, they each have their own qualities.

I'm definitely in the roundwound, no pick camp. But it wouldn't be unheard of for me to grab a pick if I had to play an exceptionally fast bass line. On the other note, you will probably never see flats on my basses. I just prefer them, the heavier the better.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
[Warning: topic drift...] I do like the feel and the quietness of flats, though at times I wish I could get a little more "punch." Thinking of putting round-wounds back on one of my two basses, but which one? Jazz bass or Precision? I use the P-bass the most these days because it's light and I prefer the wider neck, so I'm inclined to keep the flats on that one. On the other hand, I think flats on a Jazz bass are kind of an archetypal sound. Your comments and thoughts would be welcome! (P.S. No, I can't just get another P-bass...)

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
[Warning: topic drift...] I do like the feel and the quietness of flats, though at times I wish I could get a little more "punch." Thinking of putting round-wounds back on one of my two basses, but which one? Jazz bass or Precision? I use the P-bass the most these days because it's light and I prefer the wider neck, so I'm inclined to keep the flats on that one. On the other hand, I think flats on a Jazz bass are kind of an archetypal sound. Your comments and thoughts would be welcome! (P.S. No, I can't just get another P-bass...)
Sounds like you answered your own question. Flats are more comfortable for you. Keep them on the bass you play the most.

In my opinion, the P bass gives you a more crisp sound and would give you better results with roundwounds than you would get on the jazz. But I'm wrong a lot and you already know I'm biased towards rounds.

Reactions: dvs