If you have trouble at all with bends or hammers or pull offs this may help you

CraigHollander

Blues Newbie
As always the disclaimer. This info may. yes be in Griffs courses and I missed it.

If anyone does use this technique let me know so I can confirm on right track Thanks!

I do not have large hands and always thought my bends pullosff and hammers were ummm bad dues to not having finger strength. A lot of people make this statement regardless of hand size.. It's wrong anyone can do it and make it sound great.

Since doing Griffs course and watching his and other videos on bends I improved a ton but was still just not getting enough volume from hammers and clarity from pulloffs. When muting skill rapidly improved (see may other posts) they got better as well but ....

I would see guys playing clean no distortion and no stress or effort bending pulling and hammering at will and knew I was not there yet.

Tonight random luck I stumble on a video about this and the solution is simple .

Most of us here know all about the blues thumb over bend positionnbut I have also seen people do wild vibrato without even having that whole anchoring set up just with finger.

Here is what I discovered they are doing. On the video they showed top players close up of hands even BB king let alone John Petrucci and other shredders. Maybe some of you have always done this by instinct but again not me which is why only now catching up like crazy.

1 before grabbing guitar bend left arm at elbow 45 degree so hand and finger facing ceiling.
2-Make C shape with hand the turn it into a claw by bending fingers so that the tips face floor
3 now grab guitar in standard blues thumb over position not classical grip
4- Your finger then if you look at griff playing can be laid close and almost flat to strings but.... you have to keep the bend in the knuckles so the tip is aimed straight down at the strings.
4- I tried for regular playing where I didnt do classical grip ever but my fingers where flattened out and it sounded much cleaner but this most of you already know here is what maybe is different again apologies if griff mentions this and I missed it.
5- on your fleshy side of finger form the first crease behind the knuckle up to about halfway not the very tip imagine a line across then one straight down middle from tip to creaseand then on a line equally distanced from the center on left and right Side now think of a 45 degree Line from top right tip to the right side line and from top left tip to left side line.

6-This is where you with your fingers in claw position with your hand in blues thumb over position is where you want to catch the string for bend and for pulloffs and hammers . Right where the 45 degree and either left or right angle meat not the middle more fleshy part not the side of finger directly between the 2 about 1/3 down it will be.

7 I went through stages of coming directly down on string with tip or direct middle of pad. I tried to get in the middle of the strings and pull of push but it was never working every time nor articulating clear enough or effortless .

8- I try this today and BAM its coming together for real so much better.

9 You really just using same hand position but making sure that your fingers are not flattening out that they are clawed and that you are then hooking the string by coming in front or behind the string and using the pad not the side of your finger but not center of pad the side of the pad . Vibrato Bending Hammers Pulloffs all working and it makes sense

10 if you are bending coming straight down on string its likely to slip. If you come from front or behind but you fingers are not clawed you will hit likely other strings and or slip and finally if the more fleshy part of the finger will not let you "hook" the string where you cant slip . By hitting a hammer with the pad a little to the side it will give you more clarity and volume because it's harder and not as fleshy.

I think I have a video of this if I lost anyone.

If you do it the other way and it works thats fine I am just saying that this all makes perfect sense pros seem to regularly do it this way and it explains why many including me could not "fix" these problem areas.

Back to the lab

The Scientist

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I'm with Captain M. I followed up to about #6 after which i couldn't quite visualize the description. The video will probably help.

Last edited:

CraigHollander

Blues Newbie
I figured this one would lose some of you so below is the video I should have just posted. Some of you likely do it this way but cant explain it . Some will resist it because you always did it another way, some will think this kid is a little overconfident but he is an amazing player at young age partly because he understands these things and he explains it very very well. I just know in 1 day of trying this made massive progress again and when I see a young kid or a newbie or old guy saying he has been trying for decades to master the guitar this is why I get so Scientific . He is going to start out with some stuff you all know then he is going to get into the thing I tried to describe about how to hook the string properly while using rotation to easily work bends vibrato and Hammers or pulloffs and... do it clean. Its not that I cant bend and such okay I want to sound professional not garage level.

He asks us older rock starts to keep an open mind even if you have never done it like this before. It will be hilarious if this is in a griff video because of course he talks about bends but sometimes I seem to need a different perspective to wake me up . Cant hurt.

Enjoy!

CraigHollander

Blues Newbie
6:34 I think is at the area he talks about where specifically on your finger to grab strings when bending but it works on pull off hammers and vibrato as well . The other thing I was not doing correctly is explained at 17:02 Q and A Is it okay if fingers collapse during bends? This is where he explains and reasoning and demos the fishhook. The whole Q and A part really also cleared it up for me at least

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I think I’ve seen this stuff covered in a course or various YTvids.
I know some of it was covered by Griff.

As of late, it seems I’m getting more sloppy in my fingering.
I’ve noticed I’m inadvertently catching the string below the one I’m bending.
That's causing an unintended pull off there.
I see he covers a few tips on that but, nothing I’m not already working on,

Somewhere along my journey, I came to the realization that to be a good player you need to focus on controlling what you don’t want to hear as much as what you do want to hear.

Last edited:

CraigHollander

Blues Newbie
Captain that is what I am saying and Griff says it in his muting video. 2 people can play exact same notes at the exact same timing and sound different . Why? We usually say this is about how they do vibrato how they do bends but in reality one somehow sounds more professional then the other. It's not one is wrong one is right One is playing noisy the other is playing clean. At the start of the 70s rock and blues on albums are what some would call way more sloppy and way noisier than today Still great songs but even those bands changed over the years and I have seen so many live over my life and it's a ton more clean played now due to things like noise gate and increased playing ability. I just got an hour practice in and trying to concentrate on the 2 main points using the right section of my finger to catch the string for bends vibrato and pulloff-hammers. and to not let fingers collapse flat when playing . It feels weird to correct these things but after a few days you just start automatically doing it not thinking and then your like wow I sound cleaner I sound stronger I hear it better. Yes a ton of the video is stuff we all know but those 2 things the hooking the string at the right area of finger and the not collapsing fingers (this does not mean classical positions ) still blues grip still down close to string but not with flat fingers are my focus . I guarantee you try to get used to it and you will like what you hear. best Scientist.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
OMG I feel like an idiot but a happy one. Check this out and tell me what you think.

Ok, I see what you mean now. My local instructor had me start doing that quite a few years ago in conjunction with a spider crawl type exercise, with the point being to always pay attention to economy of motion. When I remember to do those occasionally, they really do help.

CraigHollander

Blues Newbie
Many sort of stumble on these things intuitively but can not explain it clear or even demo like this guy just did. I bet almost everyone on this course and board when they pull off think flick up away from guitar as it feels more natural and you think you avoid string noise but as he demos that is not how I think pros do it they do a quick flick straight through using the 1st and second knuckle keeping big knuckle steady. and then relax immediately and it will bounce back automatically. This is just how you "pick through" your just doing it with finger and it will be louder cleaner better. I was doing it wrong. With the hammer why was I like most hammering from to far away from board? My idea was to get momentum and get more clarity and volume I was again wrong he shows hammers from tiny distance from board because he is using clawed finger and power from big knuckle. You can see he is right because you can hear it. Better volume clarity and tone. I know many will not change that their choice I am going to apply these things and keep fine tuning to sound better.

I notices he has a video on bends he also uses the claw the kid talks about in the other video also the thumb over blues position. He doesnt speak about the spot on finger to catch string but does talk about all fingers should be on slant see griff videos you can see slant hand position clearly. What he does after is different however than the kid.

When bending down he starts with fingers straight then he claws. the claw is like a pulloff but here a bend so the making the claw and is actually pulling string down. Wow. I will try that later . For bending up its the opposite he starts in claw not on top but of course gets between behind the string with the supporting fingers in claw as well and then... he just straightens them out with slight wrist rotation as needed and boom up goes the string like butter. I am not totally sure about that one because if finger flatten and you want vibrato I think staying in claw you will not slip and have more control. I will experiment with it.

CraigHollander

Blues Newbie
New Technique Question

Very simple. How hard are you hitting the string with the pick . I use very little tip sticking out and I do not go much below the string when I pick my hand is not tense and my pick secure but I am not holding super tight or would tense my hand out.....but I hit pretty hard as I like the sound and playing percussive keeps me in time. I have seen some articles that say just glide across strings but when I am on level 4 speed builder sextuplets and 90 BPM if I dont dig in it just doesnt work for me . I also think the tone not volume the tone is ummm is week?

And you all say?.....................

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Rhythm guitar I try the gliding style. For soloing, I slam the strings pretty hard, too hard most likely. Like you, I think my tone is much better when I'm digging in. I hit them lighter when there's a need for speed. Even fingerpicking, I snap and pop fairly hard. Unless it's acoustic guitar, then I play really gently. I am trying to be aware and add more variety and dynamics to anything I play.

CraigHollander

Blues Newbie
yes I agree rhythm is totally different . if just strumming have no problem with larger softer pick on acoustic. I use jazz 3 now small and hard pick increased my accuracy and ability to play clean.

Take a look at this video below.. I suddenly said I need to do this almost always because its sounds better and I have more rhythm and motion .

The first question I ever asked on forum was about playing more fluid and connected no one really understood what I was saying at the time.

Part of it I figured out is keeping contact with the strings sort of bouncing off them in this flick motion (see video ) and using mini sweeps sometime called directional picking or economy picking. look at griff playing he is doing this. I got so much faster in a month when I thought keep contact at all time with strings flick it hard and pick straight through keep steady rhythm on the mini sweep over multiple string. in reality your just strumming the solo in time with the beat . This is a good video on some of this

What you call snap is what he calls flick and my friend said to me so long ago" I think I quick stab or jab string" . These are very small quick motions See the other video about. playing through the strings vs what many do . I think of it as I pick down I am stretching a rubber band when the tension hist the right spot you just relax and the band drags you back. Most people can feel rhythm when strumming but not when soling even when they can count it because when you can feel it you can kind of just jump in I am getting there not yet but its getting closer daily because of concentration and being being aware as you say of detail. Many think this is not fun. yes at first you have to work it but it becomes ingrained second nature .

view below at 1;15 note what he says

Let me know what you think. So many people say dont dig in hard you cant play fast I think they are picking way to deep below string with to big a pick I an using such a tiny bit of the point of pick when doing fast detailed picking but can get volume and tone digging in.

Wish anyone told me any of this decades ago .... but getting there now.

Best Craig