Left hand muting for Sitting Easy Blues

RichardCordovano

Richard from Colorado
I am working on "Acoustic Blues Guitar Unleashed" and have gone back to apply muting techniques to the tunes I learned from "Beginning Blues Guitar." Right off the bat, I have noticed that Griff seems to use a fair amount of left hand muting on "Sitting Easy Blues." When it comes to right hand vs. left hand muting, I suppose the answer is do whatever works, but I am curious to hear if there are any general "rules" or suggestions for when to use the fretting hand vs. the picking hand for muting?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Rule of “thumb”.

Use the heel of your picking hand to mute the strings below the one you’re on and your fretting hand to mute the strings above (and below).

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Keep in mind it’s just a general rule.

As you say, do what works.

For example you may stop the high E string with a finger on your picking hand or a lower string with a “barre” with the first finger of your fretting hand.

Whatever is necessary and convenient for this tune.

And possible.

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I was initially thinking more generally along the lines of muting unwanted strings while picking or strumming.

I hadn’t watched the “Sitting Easy Blues” lesson in quite a while.

I notice a lot of actually stopping strings using the right hand or left hand fingers during rests by simply lightly touching them.

Often doing both at once. (y)

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Also take into consideration that you’re in open position having to stop open string notes whereas in positions up the neck you can just ease up on the pressure.

RichardCordovano

Richard from Colorado
I guess it comes down to just what produces the desired effect and what comes naturally from one's experience. It seems possible that Griff is not consciously aware of everything he is doing with his hands to mute, whether using one hand or two at any given moment. He is just performing the piece.