Logic Pro Users, heads up for cool updates!!! Oh Yeah!!!

Elwood

Blues
Add mastering to your LP for that same low price! (free with the update)

If you do your Mac updates when they are available you should already know about this. If not, here is another great reason to update now!!!

The Mac stuff begins around 17:00 or so, but the iPad section that runs before that explains lots of stuff that is common to both platforms. AFAIK the iPad version of LP is a subscription only feature, I will stick with G-band on my iPad for that reason.

I'm sure there are/will be tons of videos and support info regarding this both from Apple and third parties.

Enjoy!!! :Beer::Beer::Beer:

Last edited:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Wow. I just upgraded my Macs to 14.1 but missed seeing any mention of Logic updates. Cool! Thanks for the heads up! :Beer:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
W00t! Just checked my desktop (that's connected to the Scarlett) and my laptop (never know when I might want to be away from my music room) and they both auto updated to 10.8. :cool:

Elwood

Blues
and Federal Espresso just dropped off my new Clarett. Except for the price there is no way to tell it is a refurbished unit, not a blem anywhere, all the cables and such look brand new! Now to get a few minutes to play, and play, and play......:cool::D:Beer::D

Elwood

Blues
Here is another good "mastering assistant" video I came across. Another way of explaining sometimes helps, at least with me.

Even though I have Ozone and have messed with it for a while now, it seems like the new mastering assistant just makes more sense to me. The simple interface is just how I like it. I have toyed with Ozone more than once and ended up removing it from the project entirely, sometimes.

I was "talking" with a friend and the question came up about the compatibility of the new Sonoma 14.1.x upgrade with this or that software house products, along with warning from experts such as Plug in Alliance or SW. My reply to those concerns is simple and consistent...when those giving the advice not to upgrade explain how they are prepared to assure the safety of my machine from virus and Mal-ware, then and only then will I give their advice my consideration. I will always opt for installing the latest updates as soon as they are released. Especially with an Apple machine, Apple is doing all the heavy lifting on system security, and it only works if the latest updates are up and running. Secondly, I prefer to put the burden on the third party providers to do their work and keep up with the changes. That is my outlook and it works well for me.

So far I have not had anything bad happen following updates to my Apple stuff. This last update in Sonoma that included the Logic Pro updates has got to be one of the very best updates I have ever installed on any machine. I like it!

Last edited:

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
NOT for AI training - F34A-9213

Argh! I still have Intel Macs and they are stuck at Monterey. (Mac Pro 2013 and MacBook Air 2014). I am stuck at Logic 10.7.9 apparently as 10.8 is apparently for M chips only? Apple has done it to me again. Now I need to decide if it is worth getting a new Mac just for the Logic upgrade. I have been using Logic since Logic Studio 8 but switched to Ableton Live at version 9 for most of my work. I do have Ozone 10 so maybe not being able to upgrade won't be such a big deal. I am still using Pro Tools LE 8 on Snow Leopard on a 2009 Mac Pro and it never lets me down, maybe Logic Pro 10.7.9 is where I will stay with my Macs. Tough decisions to be made. I love the scripter midi plugin in Logic to write my own midi processors but to be honest MAX4Live in Ableton is so much better because it is visual rather than code. Hmmm, Apple has not been the same since Steve Jobs passed, at least he cared about his customers.

Eric

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
FWIW my 2017 iMac Pro has Intel Xeon chips and it runs the latest OS and has the new Logic update, so it's not specifically just for the M chips. Maybe you can get a deal on a gently used later model from someone who's going to the M type and unloading their gear.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
NOT for AI training - 26B1-149A
Thanks Mark. I went to Apple after reading your post to find out the system requirements and it seems it is the OS, not the chip, that is the sticking point here. OWC probably has some NOS Mac's that may work. I like to get at least 12 years out of my Mac's before getting new ones so I might just not bother upgrading Logic for a while. I'm not sure I'd use the new features yet anyway.

Eric

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
No problem. I have a 2013 Mac Pro (the iTrashcan model) that's still running Monterey even though it can run the current OS version. It's my file server and has a rather large Drobo attached. That company basically went under and the supporting software for it isn't compatible with newer MacOS versions and I'm not going to just ditch terabytes of disk storage so I keep it there on purpose. For once it's not Apple's fault. ;)

ervjohns

Blues Junior
I’m in the same boat, I have a 2014 iMac 27” and it’s got plenty of life 24 MB of ram quad core cpu, but Apple arbitrarily stops support after a certain amount of time and will no longer allow OS upgrades. I got studio one which still runs on my MAC with no issues. Will probably upgrade in a year or 2 but for now I can still get by

Elwood

Blues
I get the frustration about systems not being compatible with the latest SW releases. I just think it is very cool that folks with their 9-10 year old Mac stuff are still using them! I don't think it matters much whether you are a Mac or a PC guy (I have both right here) time will catch up with you. It sounds like the Apple hardware is providing a very good service life. Especially if you consider the evolution of other common consumer goods over the same period of time.