New Member question on blues theory

Maybe the answer is in the lessons have not got through all of them.

While playing a solo over lets say a song in E. Should you change scales with the chord progressions?

So while the band / bass is playing an. E should I play in the E scale then switch to A when the band switches to A then in B when B?

Thanks for the feed back.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Maybe the answer is in the lessons have not got through all of them.

While playing a solo over lets say a song in E. Should you change scales with the chord progressions?

So while the band / bass is playing an. E should I play in the E scale then switch to A when the band switches to A then in B when B?

Thanks for the feed back.
Welcome to the forum!!!

If the song is a blues with a I-IV-V progression you can either play the minor pentatonic in the key of the I chord throughout the entire progression, or you can optionally chase the chords using the major or minor pentatonic scales on each of the respective chord changes.

Griff does a good job of describing the approaches you can use in this video:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
If soloing over a “Blues in E” with all Dominant 7 chords (E7 A7 B7) you may also find the attached summary chart useful.

You would most likely approach a song actually in the Key of E Major differently.

Attachments

• Modes-BluesSoloingCheatsheet.pdf
    36.8 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!!!

If the song is a blues with a I-IV-V progression you can either play the minor pentatonic in the key of the I chord throughout the entire progression, or you can optionally chase the chords using the major or minor pentatonic scales on each of the respective chord changes.

Griff does a good job of describing the approaches you can use in this video:

Thanks for the info and video!