New post on old Slide course

RobertYoung186

Blues Student/enthusiast
I bought it a few months ago. GC had the Recording King Dirty 30s mini Bucker resonator on sale for half price so I need to match up the resonator and the delta slide course. It‘s on my list!

RobertYoung186

Blues Student/enthusiast
I have little experience with resonators, so I’m not sure what a good one is even supposed to sound like. But, that said, I think this one sounds like it is supposed to. It’s got that metallic, tinny sort of sound which I think is what they are going for. The guitar seems well made for the price. I Need to start working on learning something. I got Griff’s course on Delta slide.

ScottyBlues

Blues Newbie
That’s the ONE course I finished a couple of years ago. Can’t remember how to play any of it lol but when I go back and watch the videos of me playing the songs from this course I get proud of myself
Great course and content. You’ll enjoy it

TexBill

Blues in Texas
How does the Dirty 30’s play and sound? I’ve been interested in a resonator on a budget.
On a 4th of July trip to Nashville a few years back, I went to a guitar store up North of downtown. My purpose was to look at Lap Steel guitars.

Don't recall name of the shop, however, they did not have any new lap steel guitars in stock. There was a used pedal steel that sounded reasonably good. While I was examining it, a young man approached and offered to assist.

When I explained what I was interested in looking at, he confirmed the lack of stock and suggested that the Pedal Steel is difficult to learn to play due to all the options you face with the bending of notes that a pedal steel offers.

At that point I thanked him for his advice and asked if there was anything he could suggest. He retrieved a Dobro and that was his recommendation. It is a Dobro brand resonator with square neck to be played lap steel style. I do not recall the exact price point, although it was reasonably close to the price point I was willing to spend.

In case you are not familiar with Dobro Brand. It is owned by Gibson and is part of Epiphone. At the time it was an offshore version and I am not sure if there are any being manufactured in the Nashville plant.

To sum up, not sure which style you are interested in, just keep in mind that there are round neck models (played mostly standing up) and square neck models (played sitting like a lap steel). Preferences determine which is best for ones self. I was not interested in playing standing, therefore I chose the square neck model. Also, I have not learned much about playing it. I once took steel guitar lessons when I was in my early teens and have played very sparingly over the past 60ish years.

Hope this helps you decide which Dobro or resonator guitar you pick!

ScottyBlues

Blues Newbie
Thanks for the advice. I’m more interested in the round neck. My favorite local music store had a small body all brass Republic brand resonator, got the okay from the wife but the next time I went in it was sold

TexBill

Blues in Texas
Thanks for the advice. I’m more interested in the round neck. My favorite local music store had a small body all brass Republic brand resonator, got the okay from the wife but the next time I went in it was sold
Glad to know what you are interested in. Musician Friend has a Dobro Hound Dog round neck in the 4th Sale for about $450. Did not check if that included gig bag. Mine lives in a Levy bag and sees daylight rarely.