putting the courses in order

tommyd

Blues Newbie
Has anyone ever gave there opinion on the order in which the courses might be tackled ?? I know some would get certain courses for certain skills but in general is there a suggested order ? 

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
It would depend on where you are at with your ability. It would be different for others.

So if you are a beginner, then Beginning Blues Guitar would be first on your list and if for example you were an intermediate level guitarist, you might have Blues Guitar Unleashed as your first.

There are a lot of different scenarios depending on where you are at and where you want to go.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
The BBG will get you playing songs with the least amount of familiarity with chords and the fret board so all that is very good.  Once you have that under your belt, get the fundamentals......

I always suggest fundamentals and technical where-with-all.   So I mention to start with Strumming and Rhythm Mastery for acoustic and rhythm electric.  And then for electric lead and solo applications I mention the Pentatonic Mastery course.  These are must courses for any beginning and aspiring guitarist, IMHO.

John-G

The Long and Winding Road
Chuck & mtman pretty well sum up the issue.
Take no notice of RR - he's all over the place ...  :D :D :D
RR - no offence my friend  ;)

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
It would depend on where you are at with your ability. It would be different for others.

So if you are a beginner, then Beginning Blues Guitar would be first on your list and if for example you were an intermediate level guitarist, you might have Blues Guitar Unleashed as your first.

There are a lot of different scenarios depending on where you are at and where you want to go.

+2...later.

cowboy

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
Griff's emails give a guide to the order because he identifies the courses under the following headings:

Beginner & Fundamental
Intermediate Blues Courses
Acoustic Blues Courses
Speciality Courses

So which on you choose within these headings will depend upon your interests.  :)

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Griff's emails give a guide to the order because he identifies the courses under the following headings:

[glow=yellow,2,300]Beginner & Fundamental
Intermediate Blues Courses
Acoustic Blues Courses
Speciality Courses[/glow]

So which on you choose within these headings will depend upon your interests.  :)
Sometimes we can't see the forest through the trees!!  This is so obvious!   thanks for pointing this out!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
No offence taken John ... I AM all over the place.   ;D
Sometimes I'm practicing "Guitar Mangling 101" (pickup swapping), sometimes "Pedal Mangling 105" (pedal board construction), sometimes "Amp Mangling 201" (preset editing), sometimes "Track Mangling 301" (Cutting / Pasting VJR jam tracks), and sometimes I even practice some kind of guitar playing or another and even manage to mangle that.

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
I made a note of this list.  Griff made it.  I don't remember which communication I copied it from.  I use it for a checklist to keep track of what I've ordered:

There is a 12 step program that I have found helps.

Step 1:  Beginning Blues Guitar
Step 2:  Strumming And Rhythm Mastery
Step 3:  Essential Blues Chords
Step 4:  Blues Guitar Unleashed
Step 5:  Soloing Without Scales (The 4 Note Solo)
          :  Major Minor Blues Shapes
Step 6:  Slow Blues Supplement
Step 7:  5 Easy Blues Solos
Step 8:  Killer Blues Solos Made Easy
Step 9:  Blues Gig In A Box
Step 10: Building A Better Blues Solo
Step 11: 5 MORE Easy Blues Solos
Step 12: 52 Rhythm Fills & Variations

It's not easy, but it's worth it.  ;)

Yes.  It even includes the wink.

This list came before Major Minor Blues Shapes, so you can put MMBS in between 5 & 6 if you'd like.  We've been told that it's less demanding than Slow Blues Supplement.

Jump in wherever you feel comfortable.  I came in at 4 and 12, with a splash of all the Jams.  I've had several years of personal guitar instruction before finding BGU and had already developed timing, chord and notation reading skills.  I added several more courses since to add variety to my practicing.

If I may, I'd like add a personal observation.  If you are completely confused when you approach any of these courses, I mean completely at a loss about starting with what you see, you may want to consider a private teacher for a time.  I found for me, an in person lesson experience can get you started with more confidence and give you a better sense of what you're trying to do.  Maybe Griff's videos meet this need, but I can't say so because I've had the personal lesson experience.  Being able to ask at the moment, spontaneous questions and getting an immediate answer has been very helpful.  Having done this, I now know those answers and operate with that knowledge.  It has worked this way for me.

See you down the road [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Griff's course catalog does a nice job of grouping them:
http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/course-catalog/

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I made a note of this list.  Griff made it.  I don't remember which communication I copied it from.  I use it for a checklist to keep track of what I've ordered:

This list came before Major Minor Blues Shapes, so you can put MMBS in between 5 & 6 if you'd like.  We've been told that it's less demanding than Slow Blues Supplement.

Jump in wherever you feel comfortable.  I came in at 4 and 12, with a splash of all the Jams.  I've had several years of personal guitar instruction before finding BGU and had already developed timing, chord and notation reading skills.  I added several more courses since to add variety to my practicing.

If I may, I'd like add a personal observation.  If you are completely confused when you approach any of these courses, I mean completely at a loss about starting with what you see, you may want to consider a private teacher for a time.  I found for me, an in person lesson experience can get you started with more confidence and give you a better sense of what you're trying to do.  Maybe Griff's videos meet this need, but I can't say so because I've had the personal lesson experience.  Being able to ask at the moment, spontaneous questions and getting an immediate answer has been very helpful.  Having done this, I now know those answers and operate with that knowledge.  It has worked this way for me.

This list was probably before Pentatonic Mastery as well.  I got both the Pent Mastery and the Slow Blues Supplement at the same time thinking that I didn't really need the Pentatonic Mastery but I just wasn't sure.  I went straight to the Slow Blues Supplement and put it right down and worked on the Pent Mastery for 3 months.  The Pent Mastery should be before the Maj Min Shapes as well.  IMHO.  Maybe we should get our fearless leader to chime in on tis one?  GRIFF!!  ARE YOU OUT THERE??  sup?

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Griff's course catalog does a nice job of grouping them:
http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/course-catalog/
I don't understand why the Pentatonic Mastery course is in the "Specialized" section and the Maj min Blues Shapes is in the "Intermediate section"?  Having taken both courses and still working on the Maj min Shapes course. I think the Pent Mastery is a prerequisite..... Definitely..  IMHO  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

John-G

The Long and Winding Road
No offence taken John ... I AM all over the place.   ;D
Sometimes I'm practicing "Guitar Mangling 101" (pickup swapping), sometimes "Pedal Mangling 105" (pedal board construction), sometimes "Amp Mangling 201" (preset editing), sometimes "Track Mangling 301" (Cutting / Pasting VJR jam tracks), and sometimes I even practice some kind of guitar playing or another and even manage to mangle that.

RR - LOVE your humour ... keep it up !!  [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

david moon

Attempting the Blues

This list was probably before Pentatonic Mastery as well.  I got both the Pent Mastery and the Slow Blues Supplement at the same time thinking that I didn't really need the Pentatonic Mastery but I just wasn't sure.  I went straight to the Slow Blues Supplement and put it right down and worked on the Pent Mastery for 3 months.  The Pent Mastery should be before the Maj Min Shapes as well.  IMHO.  Maybe we should get our fearless leader to chime in on tis one?  GRIFF!!  ARE YOU OUT THERE??  sup?

My understanding is MMBS covers the same topics as SBS, but the solos in SBS are quite challenging. So SBS could move down the list. I think I got it as a package deal when I bought BGU. Have since ordered MMBS on the Black Friday deal.

If you're interested in rhythm playing, 52 Rhythm Fills could be moved up the list. If you think it might be of interest there are some recordings under that topic in the forum, so you can get an idea what is covered.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!

My understanding is MMBS covers the same topics as SBS, but the solos in SBS are quite challenging. So SBS could move down the list. I think I got it as a package deal when I bought BGU. Have since ordered MMBS on the Black Friday deal.

If you're interested in rhythm playing, [glow=yellow,2,300]52 Rhythm Fills [/glow]could be moved up the list. If you think it might be of interest there are some recordings under that topic in the forum, so you can get an idea what is covered.
yes, that is a good course as well.  I've finished that one too.  I'll be going back to it soon.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Here's my list of the courses I've actually ordered, some completed, others is progress. I've bounced around among them a lot. I've listed them in the order I wish I had started them, not I the actual order I started them.

1 Blues Guitar Unleashed (BGU 2.0)

2 Pentatonic Scales (PSTM)-you are practicing the "boxes" as patterns with no Major/Minor "confusion"

3 Guitar Theory Made Useful-work through as needed along with following courses

4 Major Minor Blues Shapes-now it's time to get confused

5 5 Easy Blues Solos-now you'll understand Griff's explanations

6 5 More Easy Blues Solos

7 Slow Blues Supplement-combining BGU,Maj/Min,5 Easy & 5 More Easy you already have 21 solos under your belt before starting this course. Griff also introduces the Composite scale and Every Chord Is a I.

8 Voodoo Blues-for a little extra flavor-Griff also introduces the Pentatonic 6 scale in the Member's Extra section.

52 Rhythm Fills-anytime after BGU

Note: I purchased BGU 1.0 two years ago and I just completed Solo #6 this month, after completing Maj/Min,  5 Easy & SBS solo #1. Sometimes you just gotta move on to other things and come back when you're ready.

Mike A

BLUES NOODLER
No offence taken John ... I AM all over the place. ;D

I know this a old post. But i could'nt help myself as i half to identify with RR and his practice ruteen . it is very much like mine.(y) maybe it's good to stir up some of these old posts for some of us newbies:)