putting the courses in order

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I know this a old post. But i could'nt help myself as i half to identify with RR and his practice ruteen . it is very much like mine.(y) maybe it's good to stir up some of these old posts for some of us newbies:)
I did this years ago when I was bored...............not long after Griff came out with a suggested formula, couldnt find the thread on that though

Attachments

• flow chart.jpg
    flow chart.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 24

Mike A

BLUES NOODLER

I am so glad you found this..i dont know why Griff does not put that on his site for those looking for lessons? i would have followed this to the tee..as a matter of fact i am going back to the beginning and work my way through this, i would have to say i am around a solid 7..but i would like to get to 10 and know when i got there it was a prescribed prossess from the master himself ..good job(y)good lookin out for us BGU'ers:D

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I know that we have had several discussions about the topic of "what order is recommended for Griff's courses". It is nice to have a target, know your goals, and how to proceed. Taking the “flow-chart” into account, I have a slightly different take on the sequence, but to each his/her own!

When it comes to teaching others how to play a musical instrument, there are many challenges. At what level is the student? What is the student attempting to achieve?

With the piano, different countries have different systems, and there may be more than one system within a country. One system we use in the United States is levels 1-10. After I completed those I went through a national competition to receive my certificate, having started that journey when I was 6.

Years later, I began teaching my son and daughter piano, and found that levels 1-10 were still used. Alfred had a series of piano literature books for children, levels 1-10. They also had a series for adults, levels 1-3, which contained the exact same material!

The guitar is a different beast. From what I have experienced it seems that there are certain expectations created by the arranger/composer, which the aspiring student may or may not be aware of. Classical guitar has had the most structure as far as grading or levels is concerned, in my experience. As for other styles of guitar just about anything goes. The material you have may be suitable for a “beginner”, or even difficult for some “advanced” students.

Griff provides so much great material for guitarists interested in Blues and even Rock. You have to have a goal, ask questions, and experiment to see what works for you. A teacher with weekly lessons can be of great assistance, but for the average adult who has to work and support a family, that can be next to impossible. Even then, finding a good teacher is like finding a good doctor. I rate 85% of all doctors and music teachers as incompetent. The further you live from civilization the more truth you will find to that statement! :(

It would be great if you could find a good teacher to learn basics, how to hold a guitar, pick, and basic techniques. You might even be able to find a fellow guitarist who can help you if you are new to the instrument.

So what is your goal? Rhythm guitar, bass guitar, solo guitar, improvisation, acoustic or those and more?

If you look at Griff's material, it would be hard to place a level 1-10 on some of the pieces. It can be done – with a good deal of effort. Just take BGU as an example. You might find one piece very hard to master, but the next one may be no problem. Is there something wrong with you? Well, one answer is your techniques may not be well developed. That is why I am such a great advocate of learning correct guitar techniques at the beginning of your journey.

Griff has several paths to playing Blues Guitar. Why? Perhaps because there is more than one path to that goal. Not every student learns in the same way, and a good teacher lays out options. Griff's courses cost money but they are far less expensive that having a full time teacher who may not teach you what you want. If you owned all of Griff's courses you would be ahead of the game. Pick and choose what works for you. If you do not like something – skip it! On with the next. Find your own path and become your own teacher. You have the tools now get to work! :cool::)

Tom