Recording Levels

CaptOblivious

Blues Junior
1. JP's interface for guitar input is exceptionally low, which requires that the backing track be turned down on the backing track channel fader so they can be level matched for the output.

While not the exact topic, I have questions on guitar input level. I am exclusive all digital using IK Multimedia Amplitude 5.0. My A/I is a IK Stomp I/O. It has preamp gain control with a max of +27dB of gain. The AT5 app has an input fader control that maxes out at 15 dB. My question is which is the preferred or better/worse method to control guitar input? Should I max out each one to just below clipping, or something else? This and figuring out a few days too late that intonation on the guitar I was using was seriously off will help going forward. Note to self after changing pickups check intonation, duh.

Edited by @PapaRaptor: This post is forked from:

Last edited by a moderator:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
You want your input to whatever DAW you are using to be 100% clean.
Any distortion should be compartmentalized within Amplitube.
So the answer is down that magic rabbit hole of tinkering.
Depending on what DAW you are using you should also have input level controls on the DAW.
I don't have Amplitube, so I'm not up to speed on how they handle the audio.
If I was setting it up without further knowledge, I would set it within comfortable levels (around mid-gain on both the preamp and and the input fader) and then adjust the input sensitivity on your DAW.

If you are using Studio One, the inputs aren't normally shown. You need to enable viewing of them:
Studio One Input Levels.jpg
This is with the Mix display enabled. The arrow on the left will toggle the display of the input levels. The level of each input is set in the circled area in the top right of this pic. If you record a lot, it's a good idea to save a template with these parameters and use that template when you record or else you will need to reset these levels every time, unless the unity levels work well for you. I normally don't have to do anything, as the audio interfaces I have seem to record at a comfortable level.

I hope that at least partially answers your question.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I'm not very familiar with the Stomp I/O but, that's a pretty nifty rig!
Here's my assesment:

We're talking about gain staging here.
There are always several points along the signal path that allow you to adjust gain.
The way to look at it is start with the first signal entry point, get that set at a good level, then look at each addtional step along the way to ensure you get good signal strength but, avoid clipping.

For most practical aplications Gain is what comes in and Volume is what goes out.

Once you set the volume on your guitar, the next point is the input gain on the Stomp.
The Stomp is an interface so, the input level should be set so the singnal indicator is in the green ,(this is where the preamp sets your gain level) it dosen't have to be maxed, just as long as your getting a good solid green signal.

Next, the signal is routed thru the AmpliTube effects.
Set those to achive your desired tone.
The output control will effect the volume going out of the rig

When recording with a DAW, check the input level coming into the DAW from the iRig.
Your input level (Gain) should be set at a moderate level ( somewhere in the -18db range is a good starting point.

So, adjust the input on the iRig so it's always green (never red), the output should be set to suite your desired listening level but, when recording into a DAW set it so the Input in your DAW is around -18db to allow for further processing without clipping.

When the recordiing, watch the main out meter for your final output level.
The objective is usually to get the voume as loud as possible without exceeding 0db, which is where clipping would occur.

Last edited:

CaptOblivious

Blues Junior
Greatly appreciate your replies! I use Reaper where control of the input signal is from the A/I or the FX in use, at least that is what I understand, perhaps a more experienced Reaper user can educate me:giggle:.

With signal gain control from a multitude of sources i.e - guitar - A/I - FX where the FX has the amp itself plus pedals and room environment seems, dialing in a preferred tone requires a lot of tweaking. Even when using one of the about a gazillion presets/captures available in the IKM biosphere (ToneNet/TONEX ) I am rarely pleased with any tone I achieve. The tone I hear when previewing the capture/preset before downloading never sounds the same when I use in Reaper or the stand-alone app. That left me wondering if it was the other variables I can control being the issue, or the true culprit is tone (or not) is truly in the fingers. o_O

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
@CaptOblivious
I'm not suprised by you comments
I've been a long time believer that "everything effects everything".
The player, instrument, effects, amp, speakers...on and on
Consiquently, user tone will always be unique to the complete system you're playing.

As side note:
Just my opinion............
Although multi effects processors provide a fantastic variety of tone, I find them to fall short of my expectaions for the tone I'm chasing.
Currently, 99% of my playing is thru a pedal board and tube amps.
Multi effects processors and amp modelers always get my attention and then dissapoint.

I think, I'd rather have one good amp that I can focus on instead of 200 options that get me lost

Last edited: