Resonator lessons

patb

Blues Junior
I bought a Republic round neck tricone with the intent of fretting conventionally and with a finger slide but I also see them played with a bar (probably a square neck). I also have an Airline 6 string lap steel . I have looked at lessons on Truefire and Homespun but it's hard to tell about content from a short video. I would like to avoid the basic parts about which finger for the slide etc once again if possible.
I play slide in standard tuning with conventional fretting and understand the basics of open tunings. Has anyone tried the Roy Rogers slide course?
Suggestions, experiences?
Thanks, Pat

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Have no experience with that.
Just got my first resonator so, I'm pecking around for some basic training.
Somewhere around here, I've got a DVD from Griff on that.
Maybe I'll hunt that up and see what it's got for me.

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Would your playing be different on a resonator than any another electric or acoustic guitar? I've only picked on one a couple times, it is a cool tone.

AnthonySavoie220

Blues Newbie
I picked up both of these for less than $20 combined, just need to keep an eye on sales/discounts - RJ Ronquillo

Good instruction in each, with a ton of licks to work through. Playing some of that stuff on a resonator would sound incredible! ;)

There is a bit of overlap, with some of the intro course also being covered in the licks course, but overall, for the price, it's solid.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Courses from Griff...
Intro to Slide
Acoustic Delta Blues Slide Guitar
5 Easy Slide Solos

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
I'm sure there are specific courses on resonator based slide available on the internet, but I think that slide in the beginning is slide.

If you're an AAP member check out Griff's slide courses.

TrueFire has some great slide content. I'd recommend Andy Aledort's Slide Guitar Power. It does have the "how to wear the slide", etc. But it get's good when it goes into tunings and artist style examples: Open E, D, A, G and Standard tunings. It is electric guitar focused, but it's good stuff.

TrueFire did recently acquire JamPlay so there's a bunch of new slide content as well that I'm completely unaware of... but I did see some things that are interestingly named. I'd recommend getting an annual membership... though you might want to wait until they have a sale. It's usually $199, but they usually offer $149 deals pretty regularly, and $99 deals occasionally. I've even seen a $49 one drop once on a Cinco de Mayo (but it's not something to count on). Then you get a year to check out all the slide content... just don't get overwhelmed.

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I'm sure there are specific courses on resonator based slide available on the internet, but I think that slide in the beginning is slide.

TrueFire has some great slide content. I'd recommend Andy Aledort's Slide Guitar Power. It does have the "how to wear the slide", etc. But it get's good when it goes into tunings and artist style examples: Open E, D, A, G and Standard tunings. It is electric guitar focused, but it's good stuff.

TrueFire did recently acquire JamPlay so there's a bunch of new slide content as well that I'm completely unaware of... but I did see some things that are interestingly named. I'd recommend getting an annual membership... though you might want to wait until they have a sale. It's usually $199, but they usually offer $149 deals pretty regularly, and $99 deals occasionally. I've even seen a $49 one drop once on a Cinco de Mayo (but it's not something to count on). Then you get a year to check out all the slide content... just don't get overwhelmed.
Agreed there's a ton of content there. Let me put on my guitar player hat and not a course creator for a sec... their TABS are often really bad and not very accurate. I've gotten yearly deals there in the past just to look for new ideas and stuff to learn (mostly acoustic fingerstyle) and was so turned off by the poor transcriptions that I haven't been back. Andy Aledort has been around forever so hopefully his are better than the ones I saw.

I only say this to make you aware, if you think something isn't right, you may be correct.

AnthonySavoie220

Blues Newbie
Agreed there's a ton of content there. Let me put on my guitar player hat and not a course creator for a sec... their TABS are often really bad and not very accurate. I've gotten yearly deals there in the past just to look for new ideas and stuff to learn (mostly acoustic fingerstyle) and was so turned off by the poor transcriptions that I haven't been back. Andy Aledort has been around forever so hopefully his are better than the ones I saw.

I only say this to make you aware, if you think something isn't right, you may be correct.
Glad its not just me.......everything I've done through Truefire has had *some* issue with the transcription. Usually its something minor, but I have come across transcriptions with parts completely missing, or in a completely different position than the video. If you get into Truefire, you come to expect it.....at least I have...

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Glad its not just me.......everything I've done through Truefire has had *some* issue with the transcription. Usually its something minor, but I have come across transcriptions with parts completely missing, or in a completely different position than the video. If you get into Truefire, you come to expect it.....at least I have...
I feel kind of awkward saying so because of my position as a "competitor," I guess, but I'm also a player and and as a teacher I feel compelled to put that out there. I've submitted so many "this tab is wrong" complaints and they never seem to change, it got frustrating because it was something I hated so much as a kid growing up when it was really hard to find transcriptions.

patb

Blues Junior
Back to basics. On the Reso, I need the basic strum and finger picking and then licks that can be strung together. I know enough theory to figure out what's being played.

Andy does have some "odd" tab and seems tired of it at times. He plays some licks but way too fast for me to hear and no tab.
IMO David Hamburger does a better job of it, covering open and standard tuning and playing in place or moving with the changes. Unfortunately, not licks oriented.

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
I agree that in general, TF tab can be a little dicey, every once in a while. And yeah, Andy does seem tired at times... then again, he's seemed tired for the last 20 years, LOL. Even comes across in his old magazine articles. His speed doesn't bother me, as most of what he's presenting (at least in the courses I've used) is more about ideas. So if I don't get it exactly "right" I don't care, it's more about feel, etc.

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
Back to basics. On the Reso, I need the basic strum and finger picking and then licks that can be strung together. I know enough theory to figure out what's being played.

Andy does have some "odd" tab and seems tired of it at times. He plays some licks but way too fast for me to hear and no tab.
IMO David Hamburger does a better job of it, covering open and standard tuning and playing in place or moving with the changes. Unfortunately, not licks oriented.
David Hamburger's Slide Shop is pretty good.