Simple way to know the chords in any key

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Hmmm. He finds the chords but it would also be useful to mention their function.

In Major the chords are I, IV, V while the minor chords in the pattern are vi, ii, iii.

In minor you have i, iv, v while the Major chords become III, VI, VII.

You may also find some instructors who refer to this as the "L Pattern".

And Griff introduces the pattern in BGU for finding the roots of the 3 chords in a Blues. :cool:

Last edited:

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Griff has a course on music theory but this guy starts right away on making it sound like C major is difficult. I dont know much about theory but i mean whats the point of playing guitar if you cant play a major or minor scale?

The simplest way I found, and it's not the most popular. But I tend to think differently.

Everything is in a major key. Some make the tonal center the vi chord; most people call those minor keys. But the pattern for the relative major still applies. You start in a different place and emphasize that chord. This also applies to and demystifies all of the modes of the major scale.

Last edited:

JamesHardy206

Blues Newbie
Griff has a course on music theory but this guy starts right away on making it sound like C major is difficult. I dont know much about theory but i mean whats the point of playing guitar if you cant play a major or minor scale?
I get frustrated at times covering 'old ground' in beginner lessons and music theory. I have been a DIY player for 50 years. I know a lot of stuff. And almost every time I sit through a Beginner lesson I learn something that connects the dots in ways I never imagined. Not just a new idea, but things that leverage my homegrown knowledge. Lord, it's hard to be humble! But for me it is necessary!

JamesHardy206

Blues Newbie
Learning. I can choose what to study but cant control what I learn! I joined group to explore playing Blues lead guitar. My brother has been a better lead player for 50 years and I have drifted towards Rhythm and Bass. So that was the plan. BGU's focus on timing and chords as the foundation for solo's has expanded my understanding of the possibilities of the guitar role. I find new sounds and disciplines that draw me to apply to playing backup on Bass and Guitar. I can 'see' the holes in my playing and excited to connect the dots and get gooder at some things that I value in my playing. I may or may not ever learn to solo like SRV or BB. Or make ground on my Bro'. For now I am enjoying following a path that has it's own mind!