Studio One Some Studio One tools

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Okay, so as I utilize Studio One 6 more and more, things I would never have thought to look for or even use, I am finding I use more, they are quick nice tools. I am actually finding Studio one has a ton of little easter Eggs that you work with for quick access and changes.

First one is Data Zoom, we all know about the slider to zoom in or out on the audio track time line, the Data Zoom actually lets you zoom in to see the audio files much better and clearer, two little lines

Data Zoom.jpg

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Another one, generally I just use the faders, or go into the audio file, but a new project has some electric guitars, acoustic............and as I am playing bass more, I am learning how to navigate using an instrument with active pick ups, something I have never done before. So, in the current project, I recorded the bass a little hot, and the acoustics a little soft...............thought I would see what another option would do as a test. You can click on the audio file and chose "Increase volume", or "Decrease volume".
I don't know how much of a change it makes, cant seem to find the numbers anywhere, but, it was just the correct amount, and I didn't have to spend time with sliders or dials

other items.jpg

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
S1 offers plenty opportunities to find those nuggets.
I’m always learning.
There are lots of great DAWs out there.
This is a good example of why I abandon others and just focus on one, with the hope that some day I’ll master it.
I just don’t have the capacity to learn all the tools on multiple DAWs.
I don’t recommend one over the other.
I suggest “stick with one you know” unless or until you outgrow it and have a compelling reason to switch

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I don't know how much of a change it makes, cant seem to find the numbers anywhere, but, it was just the correct amount, and I didn't have to spend time with sliders or dials
The "Increase/Decrease Volume" options work in 6db increments.
Things to be aware of when using this. If you're working with a track that is segmented into two or more sections (different takes, edit points, etc.) the Increase/Decrease will only work on the section you have highlighted. If you did an entire track in one take, it's no big deal.

In that same vein, if you select an event, you will see a very small square white box at the top of the track in the middle of the event. You can click and drag that higher to increase gain or lower to decrease gain. While you are dragging, you will also see another small box that tells you how much you have increased or decreased the gain. If you want to fine tune it, you can hold down the SHIFT key while dragging, which will slow down the effect of the cursor.

Lastly, If you enable the Macro toolbar in the top toolbar (next to the Q for quantize), there is an editing macro which will normalize an event so that the peak level is -12db (instead of 0db like normalize usually does.).

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
The "Increase/Decrease Volume" options work in 6db increments.
Things to be aware of when using this. If you're working with a track that is segmented into two or more sections (different takes, edit points, etc.) the Increase/Decrease will only work on the section you have highlighted. If you did an entire track in one take, it's no big deal.

In that same vein, if you select an event, you will see a very small square white box at the top of the track in the middle of the event. You can click and drag that higher to increase gain or lower to decrease gain. While you are dragging, you will also see another small box that tells you how much you have increased or decreased the gain. If you want to fine tune it, you can hold down the SHIFT key while dragging, which will slow down the effect of the cursor.

Lastly, If you enable the Macro toolbar in the top toolbar (next to the Q for quantize), there is an editing macro which will normalize an event so that the peak level is -12db (instead of 0db like normalize usually does.).
thanks, I googled it but didnt get an answer..................I was using it on my scratch tracks today

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
S1 offers plenty opportunities to find those nuggets.
I’m always learning.
There are lots of great DAWs out there.
This is a good example of why I abandon others and just focus on one, with the hope that some day I’ll master it.
I just don’t have the capacity to learn all the tools on multiple DAWs.
I don’t recommend one over the other.
I suggest “stick with one you know” unless or until you outgrow it and have a compelling reason to switch
Like Aocustica Mixcraft, eventually, I outgrew it and invested in more.............hopefully it will be worthwhile one day

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Ok. weirdest thing..................I opened my studio one project this morning, and my bass was gone, so, I was all kinds of pissed because, I cant play bass, it took me forever to get that right, but I moved on planning to re-record it.

Finished the pianos today, then added an audio track to plan my markings for recording bass again, re named the track as "Bass", and suddenly my track was there again..................did it go to Mcdonalds and get a snack or something ?

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Ok. weirdest thing..................I opened my studio one project this morning, and my bass was gone, so, I was all kinds of pissed because, I cant play bass, it took me forever to get that right, but I moved on planning to re-record it.

Finished the pianos today, then added an audio track to plan my markings for recording bass again, re named the track as "Bass", and suddenly my track was there again..................did it go to Mcdonalds and get a snack or something ?
:unsure:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member

I see that your bass track returned after a coffee break. I can't explain why your bass track disappeared, but if you recorded it originally, you should be able to find it. Studio One records and keeps almost everything you do. It may be way overkill, but it keeps every take you do, even if you don't save it. Everything goes into the Pool, which is a folder associated specifically with your song. The pool can be seen in the browser (right side of the screen). It even has play controls at the bottom so you can preview your tracks before dragging them back into a track. Here is a partial example of a track I've been working on for the October challenge. I hope to have it finished before November arrives, but I'm not sure I'll make it.

Pool.jpg

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I see that your bass track returned after a coffee break. I can't explain why your bass track disappeared, but if you recorded it originally, you should be able to find it. Studio One records and keeps almost everything you do. It may be way overkill, but it keeps every take you do, even if you don't save it. Everything goes into the Pool, which is a folder associated specifically with your song. The pool can be seen in the browser (right side of the screen). It even has play controls at the bottom so you can preview your tracks before dragging them back into a track. Here is a partial example of a track I've been working on for the October challenge. I hope to have it finished before November arrives, but I'm not sure I'll make it.

View attachment 19513
damn, thanks, I didnt know that, I wonder if somehow I accidently deleted it, then by using the exact same name, since I am a creature of habit, that it automatically put it back...........

I ended up changing the bass line anyways, I played a 1-5-7-1 instead of a 1-5-1-5, figured, I dont have a recording contract, may as well experiment