Struggling to gain Proficiency in Course Material

StephenMarcinko

Blues Newbie
I've been progressing through the course and I've found that when I go back to the lessons I previously completed, I need to work through them again to play them without mistakes. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this. Does this mean that I didn't learn the material correctly the first time?

Steve

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I think about 99.9% of us have had that issue at one point in time or another.

Then a funny thing happens, the basics get so well under your fingers, that learning new material comes even faster

Dont stress it, every now and then go back and review old things and keep chugging along

oh yeah, and font forget to have fun along the way

TexBill

Blues in Texas
Yes I find that I have the same issue. If you are not playing all materials you have previously learned on a regular basis, it is easy to forget some if not almost all of the older stuff.

Same thing happens if you don't practice songs you have played before and for what ever reason you haven't played one or more recently, it will take some time to get back to the same level you had achieved previously.

So, like Mark stated, keep playing and having fun.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I can totally relate. If you don't lose it, you lose it, so if you don't go back and review periodically, it's really easy to forget what you've learned unless you happen to be playing with others and have need to keep applying the material. I was at a jam yesterday when Black Magic Woman came up unexpectedly. I used to be able to cover the Santana version from start to finish reasonably well, but I haven't played it for 2-3 years. For the life of me couldn't remember the intro fast enough to even start it off.

artyman

Fareham UK
The same happened to me a few weeks back when I said to the guys I meet up with to play "The Shadows" stuff, lets play 'Las Tres Carabelas' and then my mind was blank I just couldn't recall how it started. I think it might be an age thing.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I've been progressing through the course and I've found that when I go back to the lessons I previously completed, I need to work through them again to play them without mistakes. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this. Does this mean that I didn't learn the material correctly the first time?

Steve
Coincidentally, Anthony Stauffer at Texas Blues Alley just did a video on exactly this issue today, what he is saying totally makes sense to me. I wouldn't normally post a link to a competing website, but I happen to know that Griff and Anthony know each other. https://texasbluesalley.com/woodshed/free-lessons/how-to-remember-guitar-solos-licks

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member

Steve
been there , do that EVERY time,

DaveFromVA

In the basement.
Coincidentally, Anthony Stauffer at Texas Blues Alley just did a video on exactly this issue today, what he is saying totally makes sense to me. I wouldn't normally post a link to a competing website, but I happen to know that Griff and Anthony know each other. https://texasbluesalley.com/woodshed/free-lessons/how-to-remember-guitar-solos-licks
Thanks for posting that video; good stuff there.

I believe, though, that some of those same concepts are also covered in Griff’s ‘How To Improvise Blues Solos” course (someone please correct me if I’m wrong).

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Thanks for posting that video; good stuff there.

I believe, though, that some of those same concepts are also covered in Griff’s ‘How To Improvise Blues Solos” course (someone please correct me if I’m wrong).

What Anthony is saying is right in line with Griff's approach, although How to Improvise has a more step by step process.