Theory Course: Scales for Guitarist - Problem or Opportunity?

JamesHardy206

Blues Newbie
I just struggled through the Lesson 1 exercises on half steps. I swear I knew this stuff - yet I had to count on my fingers! I just watched the Answers video and noticed my problem. Griff's (great) visual of Blocks use an A to A octave. My brain didnt recognize it, as I 'see' an E to E scale like the guitar fretboard and E form barre chords. If the example had been mapped to an E to E graphic I am pretty sure my learning curve would have been faster.

Not sure what to do with that. I can type out an E to E octave and re-do the exercise with that mental model. AND does it suggest I do the same thing in all of the EADGBE roots and combine scales and steps with Fretboard mastery. Or perhaps that is a bunny trail? I dont know yet how good I want to be at recognizing distance between notes. I suspect it will make transposing keys and recognizing roots, 3rds, IV, V, VI and VII easier. Seems important...

Humbling as a 50+ year player. I want to grind through the absolute beginner stuff because I am often stunned at the gaps in my self taught/stolen knowledge. I know I do lots of things at an Intermediate/Advanced level. And yet the foundation is pretty shaky.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
E to E and E shaped barre chords would be referencing the 6th string.

You’ll also want to be able to reference the 5th string A to A and A shaped barre chords.

And eventually be able to move up the chromatic scale on all 6 strings.

Half and whole steps between notes don’t ever change regardless of which note or where you start from. :cool:

Whether on the guitar or not.

(He’s discussing your mental model of notes in general, not specifically as you would see them on your guitar.)

Good luck with the rest of the lessons.

Take it step by step and don’t try to get ahead of yourself. (y)

Last edited: