Thought i had it memorized

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
Got through 50 slow licks. Box 3-5. Can trade with Griff on them no problem. Then I wrote them on little squares of paper i.e. s4-1 (50 slow blues licks box 4, lick 1) and put them in a bowl. So I put on a jam track and pull out a lick and mind goes blank, pulled another one and same thing. So I guess I don't have them in my mind as well as I thought. Back to work.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Maybe the idea is to remember some useful licks you can play in each area of the fretboard rather than memorize an arbitrary label for each lick. :unsure:

Last edited:

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Got through 50 slow licks. Box 3-5. Can trade with Griff on them no problem. Then I wrote them on little squares of paper i.e. s4-1 (50 slow blues licks box 4, lick 1) and put them in a bowl. So I put on a jam track and pull out a lick and mind goes blank, pulled another one and same thing. So I guess I don't have them in my mind as well as I thought. Back to work.
I tend to really agree with what @PapaBear says. The fishbowl approach seems a little too much like studying for a test and then promptly forgetting everything you memorized but that never made it from your short term memory into long term memory, so it's promptly forgotten after the test

I like the approach of putting on a jam track and just playing the licks that you like best, and in the places where they go best. Griff's approach of going through the track and just playing the same lick in every possible spot usually really works well for me. After that, swap out a different lick and add it to the mix if it turns out you like them.

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
You've said that you’ve memorized the licks well enough to "trade" with Griff,

Now you've assigned each lick a "name" in a bowl but you don't recognize them that way.

I'm pretty good at memorizing, but I guarantee that I wouldn't be able to recall all 50 licks by name in this way either.

Especially since if Griff introduced them in a different order they'd have a different number. :unsure:

Add in 50 licks from the Classic Rock licks course and the 25(?) from Beginning Blues Soloing.

And all the other licks from each box in Major Minor Blues Shapes and Slow Blues Supplement and all the licks from each box in all the other courses.

You’ll have a lot of Box X-# licks that just have different prefixes.

There's got to be a better way of organizing licks for yourself.

It's the licks that are important, not memorizing the example number they were.

Nobody is going to recall all the licks they ever learned by the example numbers they were in whatever lesson they learned them from. :oops:

Example: What was lick #6 in Solo #4 in BGU 2.0?

I have no idea.

I’ll have to check.

Hmmm. That’s a lick I use a lot.

But I don’t recall it as lick #6 in Major Box 2 from Solo #4 in BGU 2.0 whenever I use it.

Last edited:

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
You've said that you’ve memorized the licks well enough to "trade" with Griff,

Now you've assigned each lick a "name" in a bowl but you don't recognize them that way.

I'm pretty good at memorizing, but I guarantee that I wouldn't be able to recall all 50 licks by name in this way either.

Especially since if Griff introduced them in a different order they'd have a different number. :unsure:

Add in 50 licks from the Classic Rock licks course and the 25(?) from Beginning Blues Soloing.

And all the other licks from each box in Major Minor Blues Shapes and Slow Blues Supplement and all the licks from each box in all the other courses.

You’ll have a lot of Box X-# licks that just have different prefixes.

There's got to be a better way of organizing licks for yourself.

It's the licks that are important, not memorizing the example number they were.

Nobody is going to recall all the licks they ever learned by the example numbers they were in whatever lesson they learned them from. :oops:

Example: What was lick #6 in Solo #4 in BGU 2.0?

I have no idea.

I’ll have to check.

Hmmm. That’s a lick I use a lot.

But I don’t recall it as lick #6 in Major Box 2 from Solo #4 in BGU 2.0 whenever I use it.
Alright, I'll scrap that method since I just had the idea yesterday And will go back to just play what I recall to a jam track and keep trading with Griff

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
tape the tab on the other side of the card.

That said, It takes LOTS of time for me.
and I don't do it that way.
As I've always done with learning solos,
I'm going to use Lick one, lick two... but I don't literally mean the numbers as presented in the course. Instead, I mean listen to them all pick the ones that you like and go through them in any order you like ONE AT A TIME.

Day 1 Learn lick one
Day 2 Refresh lick one & learn lick two
Day 3 play lick one & refresh lick 2two
Day 4 alternate lick one & two over tracks
Day 5 repete day 4

Day six on repete day's 2-5 adding a new lick each time.
Definitely a slow process.

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Just re-watched the intro and Section 1 of the course,

Just some thoughts from the "Trading" section.

1) Griff uses the 10 licks from the section. He states that taking anything from anywhere would be really hard to do.

2) The idea is to recognize a lick by ear and be able to repeat it from memory.

3) You don't need to play every one. If you don't like the lick play something else.

From the "Breakdown" section:

Get the licks memorized. At 18:30 to 19:10 he emphasizes playing thru all previous licks before learning the next one.

At no time does he suggest memorizing the order the 10 licks were presented or the number they were assigned within the section.

I went through the course and traded within each section.

If you asked me today what Lick 7 in Box 4 was I would have no idea. :oops:

Even though that very lick may be my new favorite and I may even be using it every day.

The point is I'm using it.

Not that I don't remember it by number.

The only reason I can see for remembering the number of a lick would be if you were going to construct your own solo using the 10 licks and wanted to memorize that solo.

Last edited: