Where to start

NCJujitsu

Blues Newbie
Hey guys! Kelly here. Just wanted to say hello and ask a question.
With all of the great content on here, which lessons should I start with? The first thing that pops up in my list is 5 easy blues songs but as I look down the list, it makes me unsure of the order in which I should study them. I have played acoustic, cowboy chords and bluegrass for some time and I know the minor pentatonic boxes but want to branch out. I appreciate your time in any feedback you can give.
This is a great site and the lessons are awesome. Thanks Griff!

NCJujitsu

Blues Newbie
Hey man! I appreciate your response. Where would you suggest going after these lessons? I have electric guitars as well and really want to learn all I can in the appropriate order by the lessons.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Hey man! I appreciate your response. Where would you suggest going after these lessons? I have electric guitars as well and really want to learn all I can in the appropriate order by the lessons.
For electric, you can start with the flagship Blues Guitar Unleashed course, or for a refresher on some blues fundamentals, go through the Beginning Blues Guitar Unleashed course first.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
If you can already play chords and you want to start looking into soloing, the Flagship Blues Guitar Unleashed is the place to go.
After that I went with Soloing Without Scales. I really helped with my soloing.
After that it really depends on where the holes are in your learning.
You can never go wrong checking out Guitar Theory Made Useful. (Definitely get the Standard Harmony Rule under your belt)

ChicagoCharlie

Blues Newbie
If you only have an acoustic at this time, I recommend starting with Acoustic Blues Guitar Unleashed, and maybe Playing on the Porch as a companion course.
Second this ! Got an acoustic - great! Got an electric - great! This course works with both of them. Start here!

I started off with the BGU course and started getting a few other courses. Next thing I know, I was practing parts of different courses and becoming very unorganized. Eventually, I bought the Acoustic Blues Guitar course. After looking thorough the manual, I realized this is where I should have started. The blues boxes are broken out nicely with a couple of riffs each. Chords are ncely covered along with walking bass lines. There are some nice patterns that can be done with picks or fingers ..... acoustic or electric guitars. There is much in this book worth memorizing and playing when you are warming up or have no idea of what to play. There is plennty in this course for entry into the Realm of the Blues World.

Just before warned. The following alone almost made return the course for a refund!

There is a version of House of the Rising Sun and is done with a strict finger picking pattern. If you are looking for a version of the Animals House of the Rising Sun - this aint it! The organ solo or a version of it [ maybe to avoid copy right problems ] is Not here.

To the head boss.....
Could you please, some day when you have time, create two more versions of House of the Rising Sun? One containing the basic conent and organ solo or the Animals version. The other done in maybe the style of Shemelia Copeland's recent works and include rhythm and lead guitar parts.

Anyone else reading this! How about listing other versions of House of the Rising Sun that you have heard. And throw in different versions of Hey Joe into the list.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Second this ! Got an acoustic - great! Got an electric - great! This course works with both of them. Start here!

I started off with the BGU course and started getting a few other courses. Next thing I know, I was practing parts of different courses and becoming very unorganized. Eventually, I bought the Acoustic Blues Guitar course. After looking thorough the manual, I realized this is where I should have started. The blues boxes are broken out nicely with a couple of riffs each. Chords are ncely covered along with walking bass lines. There are some nice patterns that can be done with picks or fingers ..... acoustic or electric guitars. There is much in this book worth memorizing and playing when you are warming up or have no idea of what to play. There is plennty in this course for entry into the Realm of the Blues World.

Just before warned. The following alone almost made return the course for a refund!

There is a version of House of the Rising Sun and is done with a strict finger picking pattern. If you are looking for a version of the Animals House of the Rising Sun - this aint it! The organ solo or a version of it [ maybe to avoid copy right problems ] is Not here.

To the head boss.....
Could you please, some day when you have time, create two more versions of House of the Rising Sun? One containing the basic conent and organ solo or the Animals version. The other done in maybe the style of Shemelia Copeland's recent works and include rhythm and lead guitar parts.

Anyone else reading this! How about listing other versions of House of the Rising Sun that you have heard. And throw in different versions of Hey Joe into the list.

I have visited and performed in New Orleans many times. Great city and people! :cool::love:

Tom

TexBill

Blues in Texas
After the forty year hiatus from playing and returning for more lessons, I learned the Animals version of House of The Rising Sun. Only I learned to strum the chords without any finger picking or arpeggios.

The sound is different when listening to the original recording by the Animals vs strumming open chords. Same progression with a different sound. I have not found any sources that agree on the exact pattern for playing arpeggios vs just playing open chords. To me the arpeggios make it more interesting. Just would like to know the correct order each of the higher pitch strings are played.,,,,,,

Another tune that I find a world of difference between artists is Knocking On Heavens Door. Dylan vs Guns and Roses.....
Like them both. My preference leans toward G&R.

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I have not found any sources that agree on the exact pattern for playing arpeggios vs just playing open chords. To me the arpeggios make it more interesting. Just would like to know the correct order each of the higher pitch strings are played.,,,,,,
They’re played in order.

Like slowing down the strum to “hesitate” on each string.

Though it’s still pretty fast. :oops:

TexBill

Blues in Texas
Thanks @Paleo that is one way suggested by some sources.

Others imply skipping certain strings.

Videos watched that are classified as "Official" showing the Animals do not present the player's hands in a way that is it easily determined how it is played.

Another suggestion is to play a total of six notes of each chord. So then the question remains, which are played for "D". From 4 to 1 and retrace 1 & 2 or some other combo.......

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
D chord: 4 3 2 1 1 2 3

Actually 7 notes per chord in 6/8 with two 16ths for beat 2.

Although that’s the basic pattern, in the recording you’ll hear some “inconsistency” with missed notes or only one note on beat 2.

I don’t think I could play every arpeggio “perfectly” the same for the entire length of the whole song at that tempo either. o_O

Last edited: