A New Mic Recomendation

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I use several mics in my home studio, each serving it's own purpose.

When I'm asked for a mic recomendation, my usual reply is this:
- For most home recording situations, we are working with less than ideal rooms with all sorts of noise and room reflections.
So, if somebody want's advise on what mic should I get, I always suggest using a dynamic vs condensor mic, because they are less sensitive and therefore, will help reject all that unwanted room noise, usually somthing like an SM58.

That improves your odds of getting a cleanner recording, which is the very first thing to wok on before you start thinking about compression, EQ and other effects in the mix.

- I also recommend avioding an omni (360 degree) polar pattern, in favor of a cardioid polar pattern. (Once again, just too much room noise )
A super cardioid pattern can be even better at rejecting sounds that are not directly in front of the mic but, super cadioid mics often have one spot directly at the rear that picks up sound, so it's important to not only have the front of the mic pointed at the intended source, but also to be aware of what's directly behind the mic.

For myself, my #1 studio vocal mic is a super cardioid ribbon mic.
Even though my room is well treated, the super cardioid patter helps me reject such things as fan and HVAC sounds.

Anyways, I'm always interested in microphones so, If I see one used for a particular purpose, I like to investigate.

OK.....Blah Blah Blah...........On with the show!

So last night I watched SNL with Billie Eilish as the featured artist.
She has a very distinctive style that requires good mic techinques.

I wondered what mic was she using?
It's a very affordable Se V7 Dynamic Mic with a Super Cardioid Polar Pattern.
She uses the wireless capsule mounted to a Sure wireless system.

It works very well on her voice in live performances because it has a great upper end presence, fantastic noise rejection, little or no rear lobe, built in pop filter, and built in shock mount to reject handling noise.
So........I'm very interested in getting one of these ( wired version ) and based upon my research, I would highly recommend giving this your consideration for your own live and studio recordings.

Here's Billie

Last edited:

Elwood

Blues
She has a very distinctive style that requires good mic techinques.
I'm surprised that you didn't find her performance sounding pretty breathy. I wonder how that mic would be in a hotter stage setting? I'll be waiting for your long term review. :)

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I'm surprised that you didn't find her performance sounding pretty breathy. I wonder how that mic would be in a hotter stage setting? I'll be waiting for your long term review. :)
YES....that breathyness is her style.
I was actually suprised that a dynamic mic captured such airy nuances.
Many female vocalists (including her) prefer condensor mics in studio.
Of course, this is a promo interview, so take it for what it is but, this is now her prefered live mic for concert touring.

I'll probabluy grab one someday, but, I'm covered for now.
When I get one, I'll give a report.

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
OK Kids,
Here's one more I'm interested in:

This one is rather unique, in that, It is a condenser mic but has room rejection like a dynamic.
Getting more pricey but, if you want a condenser that will work well in a home environment, this is worth a look.

Last edited:

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Lauten is supposed to make nice mics. One review said this one may require a preamp to get signal levels where you need them.
I'm a lazy microphonist. I've been using my AKG 3000C for most everything since I mounted it to a swivel stand on my desk. I'll probably switch it out with my Rode NT1A and use that for a while. Otherwise, I have an sm57 on a boom stand if I want a dynamic mic sound, an sm58 I use handheld mostly. My stereo pair of Octavia pencils hasn't been used in over a year. So I stay lazy, not really seeing much difference between the condensers. I've been tempted to get an sm7, but am more likely to invest in guitar gear.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
@BraylonJennings
I've been looking at a few mics from Lauten, I like what they are doing.
Particularly this one :

I sold all my condensor mics except for one small diaphagm that I use for acoustic guitar recording.
If I used that more, I'd look into a matched pair.
Is this what you have? ............looks good!
That AKG looks nice as well.

That Lauten LS-208 could get me back into a condensor, with rejection like a dynamic.
It does require 48v phantom power, I don't recall seeing anything about needing any special preamp to get the gain up.
All my preamps deliver lot's of gain so, that's something I don't worry about anyways.

I have several mics, including an SM7B.
That one needs lot's of gain!
If you are looking at the SM7B, I'd suggest also considering a EV RE-20, I prefer that over the 7B.

"I'm a lazy microphonist"......Ha Ha!:LOL:
I'm lazy in a different direction.
I like to keep all m y mics plugged in and ready to go.
Lazy me, does not like to have to set up anything when I get inspired to record.

Currently, I have three desk mounted swivel stands and a large floor boom that I use for vocals and acoustic recording.
Three more smalll stands hold the mics I use to capture my amps.:rolleyes:

Yeah....it's all overkill cause I'm never recording more that two sources at once but, it's all about convenience (lazyness).:LOL:

Last edited:

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
Those are the same Octava's I have. All the others are on stands, but still used infrequently. I don't have a mixer or patchbay hooked up anymore, so it's just a matter of swapping xlr's. There are a few smaller microphone companies now making cool products for reasonable prices. I just focus elsewhere.