About Blues Block #3

Blase713

Blues Newbie
I have a confusion about this one..

If I was improvising in the key of A minor, should I start the Blues Block #3 on the root note A or should I start the pattern on the relative major of Am which is C?

Thanks in advance!

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
BB 3 is a Major pattern.

I wouldn’t be thinking BB3 if playing in minor.

However, if you start from the Relative minor root which is one note back you’ll be playing BB1+1 which is minor. :cool:

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
For example, looking at BB3 in C Major on page 90 in the manual "anchored"/rooted on the 5th string.

To play A minor you could start on the 6th string A, 5th fret, which along with G at the 3rd fret would be starting BB1+1.

So in C Major I would envision BB3 stating on C on string 5 and in A minor I would envision BB1+1 and start on A on string 6.

Even though connected you have all the same notes either way: G A C D E G A C

If you played BB1+1 in A minor from it's b3 which is C you'd be playing BB3 in C Major. :unsure:

Thinking in terms of playing a relative scale over a key rather than in terms of the key's own scale would be too confusing for me.:oops:

But some people do it. :cool:

Last edited:

Blase713

Blues Newbie
I don’t think I understand haha, maybe my question wasn’t well formulated..
What I want to know is:
If I am playing a blues in A and I want to improvise with a Blues block #3 over the 1st chord, what would it be the starting note?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Your original question said you wanted to improvise in the key of A Minor.

You wouldn't be using any A Major pattern over an A minor blues.

You would play an A minor pattern starting on A.

Now you've changed your question to a Blues in A which starts with an A7 chord.

If you want to play an A Major pattern over the A7 chord you would start BB3 on A.

Whether playing Major pentatonic with BB3 or minor pentatonic with BB1+1 you would start on A, the root of the first chord.

Relative keys are irrelevant.

Last edited:

Blase713

Blues Newbie
Yes my bad, I meant to say Blues in A, I was thinking scale A Minor Pentatonic.. I understand now, thank you!

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Yes my bad, I meant to say Blues in A, I was thinking scale A Minor Pentatonic.. I understand now, thank you!
These sorts of details come up a lot and @Paleo did a thorough job of pointing out why we have to be deliberate and precise in how we think and speak about musical questions.

Sounds like its been answered, just wanted to make sure you get the benefit of seeing these details :)