Art of Mixing

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
I forget who recommended this, but the Art of Mixing video br Dan Gibson is a great resource. Campy, slightly psychedelic, and almost 30 years old, you'll find absolutely no information on auto tune, cut and paste, looping or other in-the-box type editing. Nothing DAW related. Instead excellent descriptions of everything you can do with a mix. Volume, eq, panning, and effects all explained and demonstrated in concise examples. Great material for anyone looking to bump their mixing game. For me, the reverb stuff was eye opening. Preverb, reverse reverb, gated, ducked, all with examples that demonstrate how they can fit in a mix. No hardware or software equipment is used, only explained in a way where you can use it on whatever gear you have available.
It's 2 1/2 hours long. It's quirky with 30 year old video technology. Dan is a little chatty the first ten minutes or so, but then the lessons proceed swiftly. Even if you're knowledgeable, it's a great refresher course on details and theory. They use graphical displays for all examples. I found the course still being sold for $40-60 online. This youtube video is an accumulation of a series of vids and free to watch. It's a trip, listen with a stereo or headphones to get full effect from the examples. Grab a drink, give it a chance and you'll learn something and be lightly entertained. It's good stuff.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I fund that several years ago, (think I posted it here).
From my perspective, It's GREAT place to start understanding mixing.

My ebook uses similar concepts to help get decent mixes with basic tools.

We're all so caught up with all the fancy tools at our disposal, it's easy to forget the basics.

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I forget who recommended this, but the Art of Mixing video br Dan Gibson is a great resource. Campy, slightly psychedelic, and almost 30 years old, you'll find absolutely no information on auto tune, cut and paste, looping or other in-the-box type editing. Nothing DAW related. Instead excellent descriptions of everything you can do with a mix. Volume, eq, panning, and effects all explained and demonstrated in concise examples. Great material for anyone looking to bump their mixing game. For me, the reverb stuff was eye opening. Preverb, reverse reverb, gated, ducked, all with examples that demonstrate how they can fit in a mix. No hardware or software equipment is used, only explained in a way where you can use it on whatever gear you have available.
It's 2 1/2 hours long. It's quirky with 30 year old video technology. Dan is a little chatty the first ten minutes or so, but then the lessons proceed swiftly. Even if you're knowledgeable, it's a great refresher course on details and theory. They use graphical displays for all examples. I found the course still being sold for $40-60 online. This youtube video is an accumulation of a series of vids and free to watch. It's a trip, listen with a stereo or headphones to get full effect from the examples. Grab a drink, give it a chance and you'll learn something and be lightly entertained. It's good stuff.
I think there was a book too, I read one, for some reason I believe it was this. I use Izotope products, mostly because their customer support and they have a ton of free excellent (as in my thick skull can understand) vidoes on using it, and it gives general information that can be used with other prodicts,

Then I have studio one because Joe Gilder does great videos, and Gregor just cracks me up the way he says things. I did invest in a course, actually multiple from

Streaky.com Whether they were a good deal not not, I don't know, but it has been fun

DavidCabrera

Blues Newbie
Yeah, I've also seen that "The Art of Mixing" video by Dan Gibson. It's calm and old-fashioned, which is neat. It goes into the basics of mixing simply, which was helpful. I'm into mixing myself and always looking for good tips and tricks.

I've also been checking out https://faqaudio.com/ for more info on mixing and making music. They've got a bunch of easy-to-read articles and guides that cover both the technical stuff and the creative side of audio work. It's a great place to learn more, especially if you want to keep up with the latest music production.

Last edited:

leftymike01

Blues Newbie
Very cool Information. Something I needed.