CAGED Unleashed

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
I like to make flashcards, it's a leftover from my college days (that was a long time ago!). I try to condense information in just one visual card for future reference. Once in a while I go through my cards and pick something to practice. I have cards on little chords, the Crosscut saw riff, etc....

Making the card is how I learn, I can't make the card if I don;t understand the information to keep and the info that doesn't need to be on the card. The CAGED concept is not new to me, I had never made cards for it though, and I liked Griff's "simplified" version of the chords, I had always tried to make the full open chord pattern in addition to the barre, and as Griff points out, it's a b****, so I decide to make a card with the simplified chords.

So here is my card for the major chord shapes, I think I got it right although I regularly find mistakes as I work through my cards.

upload_2016-7-20_21-18-6.png

I hope it might be useful to someone else

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
putting the last video into a card is a lot harder, there is a lot of info, even though the concept is not too complicated.
I think maybe I take the chord shapes in the first chard, but I label each note with its function instead of just labeling the root. Possibly add an other color dot for the pentatonic scale notes in each chord shape, but since this is not limited to blues, it can get pretty crowded, so I think just having a good concept of where each not of the basic chord is may be enough, and you just have to "think" changes from there.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Really nice illustrations 2-note. I especially like the second one showing the connections. It really communicates at lot of information very succinctly.

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
Nice work TwoNotes! Your thought process is similar to mine, particularly on the connections illustration.

Thank you for all the work you put into making that illustration so it would post correctly. Often times making a proper displaying post is a project in itself.

See you down the road! :thumbup:

ToneSeeker

indecisive player ... I suppose..
That's a great illustration... I used almost the exact same one in the CAGED Unleashed manual
Griff,
I've been a proponent of the CAGED System going back a bit and I was wondering if you really concentrate on arpeggios with this. I've never approached it from that standpoint and always used it to, well, just play chords and build chords... always helped me as the acoustic guy without a capo in the church band...

HotLks

From the introductory/invite email to us members Griff showcased arpeggios. It's my impression that there will be plenty of focus on it.

ToneSeeker

indecisive player ... I suppose..
From the introductory/invite email to us members Griff showcased arpeggios. It's my impression that there will be plenty of focus on it.
...... I couldn't resist... 30 Seconds after I posted this, I just bought it...

david moon

Attempting the Blues
and here is my card for the "connections". It's a little overkill, that's a concept I have mastered already (at least in my head, not in my fingers yet), but it was quick to make once I had the chord charts.

View attachment 1013
The D connects to the C and whole thing repeats.

CAGED is a great mnemonic for remembering the connections.

You don't need to start at the C form

If you start at an A chord using the E form at the 5th fret, you could work up the neck for A chords using the forms E D C A G E.It's the order or "connections" that matter, you can start anywhere.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
That's a great illustration... I used almost the exact same one in the CAGED Unleashed manual :)

Great minds think alike!
Griff- I think in the video you mentioned that the D shape connects next to the C shape and the cycle starts all over. Also there's nothing magical about starting on the C shape, you can start anywhere in the cycle. Maybe that's all covered in the course.

CAGED is a nice easily remember mnemonic, EDCAG wouldn't work so well but has the same meaning.:sneaky:

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
CAGED is a nice easily remember mnemonic, EDCAG wouldn't work so well but has the same meaning.:sneaky:
Exactly.

I think the intro video Griff send makes it clear the pattern repeats and thsat depending on your key you have to start with one of the other shapes, e.g. G.
Maybe I'll update my card to show the root on the B string of the D shape is the same not as the root on the B string in the C shape (in fact my brain also sees the G and E strings of the D shape reflected in the half barre of the C shape).

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Yep, there can be other chord notes than the root that are in the "connection" between the shapes.

For minor chords, there are not so many easily barred full chords, but the shapes connect the same way. And you can think of the shape as a basis for a little chord or a scale box.

leftymike01

Blues Newbie
Looks like a nice refresher course of something I study years past
Has anyone gone through some of the course to give some input about it?
Does he do any solos demos associated to the scales,or apeggios

ingog

Started in 2009
and here is my card for the "connections". It's a little overkill, that's a concept I have mastered already (at least in my head, not in my fingers yet), but it was quick to make once I had the chord charts.

View attachment 1013
I love it. You need one more though. The D to the C, so that if D wasn't the last chord you can continue with the progression.

Scott 2.0

Blues Newbie
CAGED Hands C Chord.PNG

C Chords...
Before I knew Griff had a course, I went ahead and made an aid for myself. Between Griff's book and TwoNoteSolo's diagrams - I think it is all there, but attaching for anyone that might like to see hands. Don't mean to confuse. Those are Griff's hands from his youtube videos. I didn't get his permission. :confused::confused::confused: :cool:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Until Griff has a chance to create an area fro CAGED Unleashed, let's try to keep all questions and comments about it in one thread, so that we can copy it to the new area when it's available.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I've got a question for @Griff
I'm just starting out in CAGED Unleashed (CU) I've been through the first three videos and in them (and on page 2 of the manual), you say to stop and learn this at 60 BPM before moving on.
So are we talking the entire Circle of 5ths at 60 BPM or just the C shape?
I can play the C Shape up and down at 60 BPM (Not cleanly, but you say that clean isn't important right now), but if we are talking about the entire Circle of 5ths (12 chords) it's gonna be a while.
I'm sure that it will get easier as my fingers become used to that dang D shaped chord, but ti will still be a while. Not complaining, just want to understand and adjust my expectations.

By the way... I just figured out that you can use the @ to tag a person if you want them to see a particular post. Pretty cool... If it works. Hey @Chuck Did you know about this?

Last edited:

HotLks

This has been moved from "CAGED Theory" thread.

What is the train of thought to lock on to the closest form of the next chord I want to play? Is it to go to the nearest root note of that chord and grab the left or right facing version? If so, I have a way to go because I still need to think about which fret is which note.