EQ With Your Ears Training Course

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Very tempting, but I am concerned if I have enough of the basics down to branch out from the routine I learned elsewhere yet

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
I was going to bring up something like this the other day but decided to let it be. How do you EQ when you have 80% loss of hearing in one ear
and 30% loss in the other ear especially when you are wearing left-right head phones? It boils down to getting them little RED PEAK lights dialed in as close as possible then it sounds all out of EQ to me, but I just go with it anyway.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I was going to bring up something like this the other day but decided to let it be. How do you EQ when you have 80% loss of hearing in one ear
and 30% loss in the other ear especially when you are wearing left-right head phones? It boils down to getting them little RED PEAK lights dialed in as close as possible then it sounds all out of EQ to me, but I just go with it anyway.
There's no doubt, some of us have hearing problems (some more than others)
I know my top end hearing is shot and my right ear is worse than my left.
I'm not sure there is an good answer but, here's what I do:
1. While mixing
I have to know where the problems might be.
That comes, in part, from undersatnding what lives in each frequency.
Using visual tools to help me when I can't hear it.
That's things like spectrum analyzers , parametric EQ and frequency charts.
Asking for objective feedback from others
2. While mastering
Getting help from smart tools
This is the main reason I've incorporated some AI tools into my process

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I too have higher frequency loss, too many rifles in the Army , before they cared about hearing protection. I do practice with no volume and watching analyzer to see where the frequency hits, and have a chart of the ranges, then go back and listen with my ears.

I also use CLA NX with Beyerdynamic 990 pro headhones

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I too have higher frequency loss, too many rifles in the Army , before they cared about hearing protection. I do practice with no volume and watching analyzer to see where the frequency hits, and have a chart of the ranges, then go back and listen with my ears.

I also use CLA NX with Beyerdynamic 990 pro headhones
I’ve thought about but never tried any of those studio simulation plug ins.
I see that CLA NX is on sale $34.
I’m thinking that’s a good thing if you have a crappy environment for mixing, not sure it can help if you can’t hear. Does it help there?

I to have some high end headphones that I use for mixing they do help hearing things that are in my range.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I’ve thought about but never tried any of those studio simulation plug ins.
I see that CLA NX is on sale $34.
I’m thinking that’s a good thing if you have a crappy environment for mixing, not sure it can help if you can’t hear. Does it help there?

I to have some high end headphones that I use for mixing they do help hearing things that are in my range.
I think they do, I tried some mackie studio monitors, in my sound room, and I found I prefer the headphones, it might be a feel thing, but I have a small headphone amplifier to run the 250 ohm headphones.
I think I hear better since it is right on my ear, I do turn off the thing that lets me move my head around as that annoys me. Being able to switch from subs and mains to mains, to boombox I like a lot.................I have two of the other studios too, but generally stay with the one I know (Plus I am a Chris Lord Algae fan)...................for $34, you cant go wrong to try it