Free Tempo Recording

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
OK Kids,
May not be news to some of you but, it is NEW NEWS to me.

Looks like EZDrummer has somthing called BandMate.
Looks like it does what LP drummer does.

I have EZdrummer 2 that I never use.
Looks like you need EZ Drummer 3 to get that function.

I'm gonna look into that.
Do they have a free trial ?

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I've tried that. I'm interested to see how you do with it since I am a putz with that stuff. I believe that with bandmate you record something and then drag that into bandmate and it will suggest drum solutions. Then you can go build your drum track. I could be all wrong, just going on memory from a while ago. I do recall that it was with the EZ3 update.
I think It builds the drum track for you.
However it is not a plugin.
You drag your primary track (guitar) into it.
It creates a drum track (you have some style options) then you drag that back into your session.
Not as slick as LP drummer.

My research continues.

Ted_Zeppelin

I’ll agree with you so that both of us are wrong.
OK Kids,
May not be news to some of you but, it is NEW NEWS to me.

Looks like EZDrummer has somthing called BandMate.
Looks like it does what LP drummer does.

I have EZdrummer 2 that I never use.
Looks like you need EZ Drummer 3 to get that function.

I'm gonna look into that.
I guess it might be time to dust off my EZ Drummer3 program and see what it can do…

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Okay, number 1, it is not as intuitive as it at first might seem and I watched the quick buy me videos.................

remember you have to put a some kind of midi generator on the track, also lining everything up depending on how you transfer it to teh DAW, like anything, I am sure with some practice it would get easier

So, the original bass groove and drum was this

This is what EZ drummer liked

Keep in mind, i di not adjustments, this is all the automatic stuff

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
quick edit, one was me working for a week and hours creating my own loops, the other was a few minutes with ez drummer

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
No comparison. The EZ Drummer track is a hot mess. I would spend as much time fixing it as creating one from scratch. I'm not sure which came first, the bass or the drum track, but there is clearly no synchronization between the two.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
No comparison. The EZ Drummer track is a hot mess. I would spend as much time fixing it as creating one from scratch. I'm not sure which came first, the bass or the drum track, but there is clearly no synchronization between the two.
The bass track was mine I sent to a stem......................to be completely fair to EZ drummer. Usually I get on my E-kit, then open Studio one, I have Ugritone where I can chose drum sounds from RIngo Starr to Bon Jovi to the sex pistols, something like 20 choices. Then I play small parts to create a loop, then combine my loops as I am NOT that good a drummer but I insist on playing all my own...............then I play the other instruments over the top

In this case I took a stem, placed it in EZ drummer and it came out with this, I made zero adjustments to the sound, just popped it into Studio one then put Ugritone drums as the instrument, and including download, less than 15 minutes, so it could probably be improved on.

I am going to try it over the next week on a new song and see how it works

Elwood

Blues
calling @Many Moons

Another thing that I know that Davy has had some great success with is EZ drummer.

Have you played with the "bandmate" MM?

What is your "quick and done" way to get one of your nice drum tracks outta ol EZ?

Ted_Zeppelin

I haven’t had a chance to play around with the Bandmate function in EZ Drummer 3 yet, in fact I didn’t even know it was in there until this thread popped up. Hope to get into it this week but in the meantime, here is a quick youtube video.

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
I haven’t had a chance to play around with the Bandmate function in EZ Drummer 3 yet, in fact I didn’t even know it was in there until this thread popped up. Hope to get into it this week but in the meantime, here is a quick youtube video.

I've never used this function in EZD. I always assumed it just selected loops that it thought were appropriate for the audio. I didn't think it adjusted the timing to fit better as this video suggests. I've got a couple songs in progress that I can experiment with using the bandmate feature. I'll report back on my findings in a day or two.

Ted_Zeppelin

I've never used this function in EZD. I always assumed it just selected loops that it thought were appropriate for the audio. I didn't think it adjusted the timing to fit better as this video suggests. I've got a couple songs in progress that I can experiment with using the bandmate feature. I'll report back on my findings in a day or two.
I messed around with it a little bit last night. Did not have good results. Either I was doing something wrong or it does not adjust to the tempo of your track.

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Have you played with the "bandmate" MM?
I use Superior Drummer3 Elwood. It doesn't have Bandmate yet!!!:mad:

The way I come up with drums is pretty basic. I doodle on the guitar until I come up with something I like. I then get a rough bpm for my new song, and record the guitar along to the metronome in Logic. I then go through my 'Favourite' Grooves in SD3, until I find one that suits nicely. I then do a one bar count in, then a (8-12-16) bar verse which I copy and paste about 6-8 times. I then add a bass track, vocals etc...., then I go back into SD3 and add fills and variations for choruses etc.

I hope they add Bandmate to SD3, but I'll not hold my breath as it's been out for a while and there's no sign of it happening any time soon.:(

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I use Superior Drummer3 Elwood. It doesn't have Bandmate yet!!!:mad:

The way I come up with drums is pretty basic. I doodle on the guitar until I come up with something I like. I then get a rough bpm for my new song, and record the guitar along to the metronome in Logic. I then go through my 'Favourite' Grooves in SD3, until I find one that suits nicely. I then do a one bar count in, then a (8-12-16) bar verse which I copy and paste about 6-8 times. I then add a bass track, vocals etc...., then I go back into SD3 and add fills and variations for choruses etc.

I hope they add Bandmate to SD3, but I'll not hold my breath as it's been out for a while and there's no sign of it happening any time soon.:(
What ever you do...it always comes through great!

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
I follow Many Moons method but with EZD3. I took a song I'm working on and experimented with Bandmate. It was pretty simple, took about fifteen minutes, and the result was interesting.
Using MM's format, I already had a four bar drum groove selected and duplicated throughout which I felt was a good start for the song. I had already recorded the instruments and played to these drum loops so I should have played in time. This isn't what Elwood did, playing free time, but should work in the same way. I used the rhythm guitar part, dividing it into eight bar segments, the largest that EZD3 Bandmate uses (I think?) and kept them in verse-chorus-etc . Then I drug the track segments one at a time into Bandmate, clicked twice, and got a list of suitable grooves. In the interest of speed, I used the first suggested drum pattern (there were many choices) and returned it to the DAW in an empty track. There are options to tinker with the loops in Bandmate but I just used the first suggestion as written.
In twenty minutes I had a pretty useable drum piece. It's not what I would have programmed, but that's sort of the point I suppose. With minimal editing I probably wouldn't think twice about using it. It's difficult to say, when I'm playing and recording, I'm not the best judge of what sounds right sometimes. I won't be able to say for sure until I live with it for a while.
I'll try to get a couple decent mixes up tonight and post them to see how they compare. First chance, I'll try with an acoustic with no click track and see how well it works. it seems like something worth exploring.

Elwood

Blues
I follow Many Moons method but with EZD3.
I kinda have been doing that too. Sometimes using ol EZ, sometimes the Apple house drummer of choice, sometimes both. It is not unusual for me to spend as much time trying to come up with a drum sound as I spend on the whole rest of the project combined. I have always sought an "easy" drum solution that is easy.
After I do a few different type tunes in my flavor of the day, the "free tempo" way, and actually get acceptable results, then I will start to relax and think I am really on to something. I really like spending <5 minutes on the drum track. If it even gets close then spending a few more minutes to get some extra pizazz might actually be enjoyable. There are plenty of times that I have had to chart/count out the bars on a simple tune just to try to get the drummer to play along, and it still stinks!
One thing I know I don't like (so far - everything is subject to change with time and experience) is any of the "Flex Time" type stuff that tries to shove what you played into a robotic framework. I don't want to get this "feeling" in my tunes...

1700084685527.png