Livin In The Darkness _Captn Moto

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Okay, so finally got to work on someones elses song @CaptainMoto . It was very interesting not knowing anything about it, the thoughts, feelings or anything else. So after 12 or 15 listen throughs, I had an idea of what I wanted, I am now very curious what the original intention was. and feeling

For me, this was about a guy pushed to the edge and has had enough, kind of on the border of insanity trying to make sense of the world. I really felt the lead guitar licks should not stand out, but should be like a needle poking you every now and then, then backing off. Kind of pushing you to a breaking point, then stepping back and hitting you again.

I really felt the drums had to hit harder, to be the constant push on a person, that stressor that just doesn't stop. The bass for me, was more about the every day irritations you face, not smacking you in the face, but still there and just never going away

The synths and strings, they are all the little things that can aggrivate you (like the moron at the supermarket who rings up $400 and waits until it is done to start looking for her debit card in that black hole of a purse and takes 20 minutes to find it ) to where you want to smack them and lash out.............with the rythm guitar and the vocals being the part of you that understands, and this too shall pass..................originals for me are always a story.

So, the challanges on this one...................lots of low end, @CaptainMoto has some serious deepness in the voice, so it was a struggle to keep it, but tame it and not have it muddy with the kick and the bass, then adding in the synths competing there, wow, plus balancing the levels for a roller coaster up and down vibe. I focused the synths on the higher frequency and cut the lower.

The drums, I separated into three tracks and cut everything to the kick, snares and toms, cymbals and high hats, then went in and mixed the separate.
The guitars, another challange, had to EQ out a lot of air first, then bring back those frequency, plus I wanted the lead to really blend in with the rhythm and not overtake it like I normally would want.

Vocals, there were sections I thought needed a ooomph hit to you, so harmonized those up and down, so it constantly goes froma harmonized vocals at certain message areas, then calms down to a single vocal...........................................

okay Captain, do I get to hear the original now ?

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Hey Mark,
I just went to give this a listen and before I can even get into the mix the Tempo is way faster than the original.
Is that something I did in the files I sent you or did something else happen along the way?
Tempo should be 65 BPM
I'll hold of with any further comments until you get back.

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Hey Mark,
I just went to give this a listen and before I can even get into the mix the Tempo is way faster than the original.
Is that something I did in the files I sent you or did something else happen along the way?
weird, I didnt change the tempo at all, actually, I dont even know how to do that

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Okay, it is real slow listening to your stems on drobbox, when importing to studio one, I thought it automatically adjusted to what they were, or does it stay to the default of 120 ?

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
OK,
That's more like it but..............the song cuts off before the ending so, reset the range of the mixdown to include the entire song, that should get it all.
The original is 4:05 but the length of your mix might be different.

My comments:
For sure the motivation on this song was sadness, maybe even depression.
It was about expressing the feeling after losing a loved one...maybe a lover who walked out or maybe even the death of a loved one.
This is one cut from my Album "Alone And Blue"

Here's the original:

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
OK,
That's more like it but..............the song cuts off before the ending so, reset the range of the mixdown to include the entire song.
That should get it all.

My comments:
For sure the motivation on this song was sadness, maybe even depression.
It was about expressing the feeling after loosing a loved one...maybe a lover who walked out or maybe even the death of a loved one.
It was one cut on my Album "Alone And Blue"

Here's the original:
What si so interesting, is the similarity, but they are so different, the levels of each insturment we both decided to accent and how we made it sit in the mix. The vocals are very very different where I chose to harmonize instead and double them up.

I can also hear we did very different things with chorus and reverb on the, I think it would be called depth of the sounds.............................I had the wife listen to both, she said they actually would evoke different emotions completely. I think yours is more haunting................where as I was going for someone losing their mind.

I think that shows mindset when mixing can completely change a song

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
What si so interesting, is the similarity, but they are so different, the levels of each insturment we both decided to accent and how we made it sit in the mix. The vocals are very very different where I chose to harmonize instead and double them up.

I can also hear we did very different things with chorus and reverb on the, I think it would be called depth of the sounds.............................I had the wife listen to both, she said they actually would evoke different emotions completely. I think yours is more haunting................where as I was going for someone losing their mind.

I think that shows mindset when mixing can completely change a song
I agree with your wife and with you on how much a mix can change the feeling of a song based upon the mixer’s artistic vision and skills.
I definatley felt more energy in yours.

As a song writer I'm usually writing for myself.
As a performer, I'm more concerned about the audience.
As a mixer, It's all about the listener............I try to do my best but,...
What I think becomes irrelevant. Only the listener can decide what they like.

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I agree with your wife and with you on how much a mix can change the feeling of a song based upon an artistic vision.
I definatley felt more energy in yours.

As a song writer I'm usually writing for myself.
As a performer, I'm more concerned about the audience.
As a mixer, It's all about the listener............I try to do my best but,.
What I think becomes irrelevant. Only the listener can decide what they like.
but the haunting sound in yours, evokes feelings of desperation, It tells me I have to be careful on getting routine to doing the same thing or I wont grow, I need to find a way to branch out from my personal prejudices

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
It would be nice if you had a few more folks chime in.
My songs are like my children, I’m just too close to have an objective opinion.
Input from others is a valuable learning component.