Memorizing a lick

Larry H.

Mojo Enabled
Ok. Rather than just ask for advice, I thought I'd share the status of my efforts. I am on the 50 slow blues licks, box 1. I can play all the licks decently with the tab in front of me. I think the counting is MUCH better than it used to be. I now clearly hear and perform the beats. My issue was putting away the crutch with an eye towards improvising. I went back and started with lick 1. I played it 4 times with the tab. Then I turned off the iPad and turned on the slow blues backing track in A. I played nothing but the lick, in time, for the entire track. I lost count how many choruses that was. I then played in the lick over the entire track for each of the keys in course; twice of E (open and 12th fret). Open position required me to turn off the track and work out the fingering. I discovered playing all the tracks in each key was a bit much. I switched to the entire track in A, for licks 2 - 4; and then 36 bars of the track in the other keys. I have not yet tried the trading. Earlier were trys were quite humbling.

CraigHollander

Blues Newbie
Update still doing my system Day 8 I now have slow blues by the box... box 1 and 2 total 20 licks memorized. Starting Box 3 tomorrow. I got busy and had 2 off days no practice so this was over 6 days. Will be interesting how long box 3 and 4 take if it comes faster this time.

I also practice of course playing in time with the backing tracks and noticed 2 things for the group to weigh in on if they feel so inclined...

1- I can count it out when I do each lick to learn it individually as they are fairly slow. What I find with backing tracks is I am not great at counting it out it throws me off as thinking I need to count and already working my left and right hand. I usually end up just moving leg up and down another fantastic Griff suggestion rather then tapping foot when sitting. I do find that regardless I kind of now just here when it sounds right. If I am going to slow I just feel it if to fast I feel it and if I start on right beat iand play the rights speed I guess I just end up in the right spot? Now I just got to see where each of the 20 fit best because although you can mix them to Jam (the idea of me doing this exercise) some clearly don't sound good in certain spots.

Here comes the questions

In this particular course am I correct that most of these licks note only start on the tone center ex A minor Pentatonic note A but also many seem to end on it or the 3rd of A the 1 chord . So in this case I think the 20 I learned to date every one of them ends on tone center the rest end on the 5th of the 1 chord and 1 ends on G the 7th of the 1 chord. I get why however......

When I look at Griff example solo for box 1 and 2 these licks go over many times a D7 or E7 chord but do not hit there 1 3 5 chord tones. I know this can still work and that is why most solos are in minor pentatonic it kind of goes with everything in blues context .

So I am wondering why all licks in any place on the backing track do not sound perfect if we are not in this course targeting chord tones but are in exclusively Minor Pentatonic.

2nd shorter thing I noticed

I looked at Griff Course how to construct slow blues solo, he states here is the framework that comes up over and over again of where in each measure of 12 bar blues the riffs are placed when I tried to compare to slows blues by the box solo it did not match? I am guessing is it because the slow blues by the box starts with a quick change A to D not 2 measures of A is he talking about he most used basic 12 bar blues format only and if yes how do we adapt that thinking to when it is not a straight 12 bar blues?

Thanks

The Scientist

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
I'm working on this again since my injury. This is my first week but I'm trying to learn then this way. I started with the 50 slow licks Box 3 simply because I don't have alot of box 3 licks in my head. I'm trying to recall them like this. S3-5 and so on. It stands for Slow lick 3rd box-5th lick. Or if you're starting from the beginning S1-1 which stands for Slow lick box 1- lick 1 etc. and what count they start on .

CraigHollander

Blues Newbie
Hi In the end you have to do what works for you. I memorized 1st 3 of ten box 3 today using my same system. A- I group the licks by the 1st note as this not only helps me remember them faster but.. when improvising and you are in the are of that not you have something to play. Then I play take 2 or 3 that start on same note and memorize then go away dont hit it again until at least 12 hours later if I know them still move to next 2 or 3 When I hit 5 I start with backing track playing them over to ingrain deeper. I also try to see where in a 12 bar blues they sound the best some are good for an opening some are better in middle some for a turnaround. I do as you say note where in the measure they start on. If you play it at right tempo start on right note you will hear the landing is correct when playing with backing tracks. Keep at will report on this in a few days.

CraigHollander

Blues Newbie
Well after reading this thread, I've decided that I'm either going to try to learn licks from Guitar Mastery...

...or Differential Calculus.

Decisions...decisions...
Good Morning Interesting Grifff video today seems to touch on every one of the points in one video I have tried to make since started posting this month. I was just mentioning on another thread for example he doesnt alternate pick he uses Economy picking or some call sweep or directional picking. He mentions Frank Gamble Speed Builder was the course that trained a million shredders (although he is more jazz) Chop Builder is a master 1 hour video that Tunes your ability to pick clean and fast ..... anything. See what he says about practice. Cool . The Scientist

CraigHollander

Blues Newbie
Progress .... Update

1st without these BGU coursed I could not be making the progress I am making, Thank you Griff!

2 weeks and 4 days into intense plan. I keep a log and I missed 6 days (I have to do work and family UGGG) So that leaves 12 sessions

Slow blues 50 Licks
Box 1-3 30 licks down to memory and 1st 3 of box 4 33 licks 12 days of practice 33 memorized.
blues speed builder 80% or more complete on level 3 120-130-140 beats
Working on Rhythym mastery course going well. As I agree you can miss notes but play out of rhythm it aint sounding good.

Todays practice is why I do the speed builder i. it forces you to analyze everything note by note where you are getting tripped up until like any repeated task it becomes second nature or muscle memory isn't that what having technique or skill is. 140 triplets one after another is not that fast compared to other musical genre but... to get each note sounding clear as day and to have them accented correctly and articulated and not sound jerky to sound fluid as my very first post a month ago was about is hard to get down.

Today by doing this things that yes likely griff touched on and I know other instructors did but never sunk in with me did....

This may help someone....

A- I already held my hand position and pick in the way that most of the greatest players do (not everyone does the same but there is actually a video on the web of this rates how pick is held by known great players and came to conclusion of most popular) . I also feel most comfort and control with that grip.
B- I knew when picking about what some call pick slant to not get stuck between strings and not accidentally hit wrong one (kinda more important when playing fast)
C- what broke me out today however is ..... I saw another video about edging of pick this is not the same as pick slant this is when you turn the pick 45 degree angle to the strings to side of pick. I never did this because it changes the tone to what I thinks sounds bad. Guess what I was doing it the way all the other bad teachers explained but not the way intended . You angle but still pick straight but and down not slice the string with just the side of pick by keeping it straight up and down with a slight angle on pick you reduce resistance friction but keep tone. Also keeps your hand position perfect angle and ... relaxed.
D- On pulloffs I can do them in time but was having problems getting where I wanted to be with the articulation and not making any other unwanted noice. had seen detail video about pulling off from behind the string or basically sticking finger in-between the strings to pulloff but still was not right but then I saw another video about what part of the finger to use and.... it aint the tip near the nail When I used the the part you where they would take your fingerprints the pad bingo .
E also finally got down what they meant by lowering your hand down as you pick from the 6th string to the 1st string. I had tried this once but it felt weird because I was trying to just lower by my shoulder why I dont know . it realized just lower by dropping forearm from elbow while keeping upper arm locked. Perfect. Why do this is your trying to play fast and clean you want to have the tone as well consistent if you just start angling hand with out dropping arm you will get scratchy sound as the side of pick karate chop will come to play. For muscle memory you want to hit the strings the same on the 6th as the 1st in relation to the actual angles.

So from doing the speed builder exercises and really analyzing the motions to build speed I was able to gain a ton of technique in a week if only my guitar teacher at 15 had bothered to explain any of this then. .....

a- Pick grip -check
b-Pick slant -check
c-Pick edge check
d-Pulloffs check
e- arm position and movement check
f-muting check
g-from the warmups I recommitted to left hand positioning for maximum efficiency and that means keeping your fingers close and down when ever possible. trying not to lift the last finger used if not needed
h From watching Griff play at fast speed or slow I realized that 1- he is using economy or often called directional or sweep picking and on left hand he is not only in classic thumb over position but has his hand collapsed down not finger high ruled over.
I- The great thing about using the rotating wrist forearm motion back and forth which causes pick slant combined with directional picking is.... you feel the beat more it becomes like you are strumming through one direction notes then the other jus like chords but very mini motion you can here the hits on the clicker in the course clear and feel them more.
j-When picking I realized that the fluidity comes from picking through in one motion not down pause down you want it more like a strum . This is what started my first post last month but no one understood what I was getting at . here is a video about circular picking about I think a quarter of the way in he mentions this and shows the difference. Sometimes by the way if you watch blues but definitely rock or metal players going fact its almost like the pick starts to look like its moving in a circle I did this accidentally it was crazy but I dont have that technique down yet. Watch Griff hand how smoothly he picks the licks and you will be able to see all the above in his playing technique.

Thats it for now will hold for a month for next update to see how much progress can be made.

If you record yourself and can do the exercises and solos of this course at full 140 speed without mistakes clean and fully articulated no unwanted noise you already have the above skills however you came by it . for the many on this board who are not there yet I post because no one ever helped me and I wasted so much time. I started BGU 3 years ago and gained a ton but was not where I wanted to be. The insane guitar mastery guy Is not a better course but I saw his you are failing because you are not practicing correctly videos and boom the light went off . I broke out in last 12 practice sessions more than in a year and now everything I am confident will come together as the technical roadblocks are going down!!!! Play on have Fun. Best The Scientist.....

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
I learned this system of forced forgetting and re-remembering from a fellow named Johnny Lee who called it "pit stop practicing". This is definitely NOT the same thing as simply practising in short blocks. Try it and you will see the difference.

As far as the question posed above "Does ANYONE not understand short term/long term memory?", the answer is yes. We may know what it is, but I don't think anyone really understands how it works.

CraigHollander

Blues Newbie
GM

Boogie

Yes forced forgetting that is exactly what Claus from Guitar Mastery explained so well. Most of the time a system will work better then random aimless practice. The way he simply said to memorize is yes do play short session then come back to it like Griff said but also try to force forgetting. That forced forgetting along with below is making it easier and easier.

I will play the newest licks I am learning play 1x if I can remember or play with tab if I cant but then I will play all the ones I have down to jumble it then try 1 more time to do the new ones.

If I do them correct bingo got it if not I stop wait until next session try again.

I never tried this much memorization but it's working and getting easier .

I use 50 blues licks by the box started dec 19th missed many days of practice due to work . Practiced 13 days so far and... 37 licks memorized . Completing box 4 today. I never practice more than an hour at a time and hit other tasks memorizing I spend 15 minutes tops each session.

Once box 5 done going to actually be switching to getting them all sounding great jamming with backing tracks mixing them up .

I stopped practicing without purpose. Of course the idea is play and have fun but practice focus and purpose is what takes you up a notch.

The goal here was to feel comfortable when some one calls out blues in A that I can jump in and just play without being able to recall licks how can you do that? If you know 5 licks you can play but it gets kinda repetitive?

Also the other cool thing is I am utilizing Griffs soloing without scales idea. I organize into a library all licks I learn by the note they start on This helped me recall them way easier..Now I have licks by the root 3rd and 5th which... Griff and so many others say highlight the chord tones and.... I also will be utilizing his "secret of pros" play major over 1 Chord"

Eventually it just becomes ingrained.

Now back to mastering playing fast with level 4 of blues speed builders this is a tough one.

Best The Scientist

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I learned this system of forced forgetting and re-remembering from a fellow named Johnny Lee who called it "pit stop practicing". This is definitely NOT the same thing as simply practising in short blocks. Try it and you will see the difference.

As far as the question posed above "Does ANYONE not understand short term/long term memory?", the answer is yes. We may know what it is, but I don't think anyone really understands how it works.
True,but my point was about needing the concept explained to guitar players. Pedantic.

BoogieMan

Blues Junior
Memory is a funny thing. As I get older I'm finding it more difficult to remember guitar phrases (not to mention ballroom dance steps which are currently my nemesis). Anything that helps is welcome.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I still struggle with this. In fact, it's what stalled me in the Beginning Blues Guitar course: early on there's a blues tune to get down and I have never been able to memorize all the licks in it or get through it even once without looking at the chart. For me that's not a beginner level skill.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I still struggle with this. In fact, it's what stalled me in the Beginning Blues Guitar course: early on there's a blues tune to get down and I have never been able to memorize all the licks in it or get through it even once without looking at the chart. For me that's not a beginner level skill.
One of the things that I have found is that a huge part of being able to memorize anything is that you need to be able to believe in and trust your ability to do so. The more you distrust your ability to memorize, the less able you will be to do it. In my case, I don't necessarily trust my ability to *play* a lick well, but I do trust my ability to memorize it. Much of that is recognizing and accepting the typical process that occurs.

When I first start, I am usually *not* likely to remember a lick, unless it happens to be similar to something else that I already know well. Once I start to play it, it will take a number of repetitions before I can remember it well enough to play without looking at tab or notation. Once I put everything away and come back to it the next day, there is a reasonable likelihood that I will be starting with that same lick again from square one, although it will go much quicker the second time. Albeit frustrating, I do know with some certainty that I will eventually retain it. And, at some point shortly after that, I typically remember it well enough not to have to refer back to the notation every time.

As with anything else, you need to build up that confidence slowly and starting with shorter, simpler licks. There are also a number of cognitive learning theories that support the notion that the more ways in which you are exposed to and/or interact with a new concept, the better you will be able to retain it. For this reason, Griff's counting advice becomes really effective because it makes you actively associate the notes with the rhythm, while you express them in two different ways simultaneously (verbally and through the guitar). Adding in a toe-tap or other kinesthetic activity along with a backing track that provides auditory cues (drum fills, bass patterns) provides even more associations to aid in the learning.

Another key association is to know where the lick is located relative to scale patterns that you know, and where they are located on the fretboard. If I can associate a lick with a minor pentatonic pattern in Box 1 and in a given key, I already know where to start looking for those notes, which then produces yet another association (spatial) that relates to the lick. After a while, identifying a fretboard location becomes less of a cognitive process and more of an intuitive process -- much the same way that you open a book that you've read and you sort of know approximately the right place to find something you read about, without having to remember the actual page number. Since much of our thinking is wired spatially, that is something of an innate skill.

GeoffAdkisson220

Blues Newbie
I have over last week discovered and watched many videos by Guitar Mastery because they are different from griff in that they are teaching you where you are going wrong in the process of getting from point A to B which is the great challenge to becoming professional quality player . We can all understand on paper and video what is in BGU and other courses but can you jump in with a band and play can you create music that is tight with band and sounds "right" to listener, on spot. With where I am now these free videos (no need to buy full courses at the moment) they will help you understand bad habits that slow your learning down quickly correct them and yes this below is on why you cant remember licks for long, a problem I have had and am working on this now and so much more . When you can recall all types of licks at will you can more freely improvise if you cant how can you play a set with a a band. I assure you Griff can play at least 100 licks right now if he was asked. 10 songs with solos have maybe 10 licks per solo so 1 set some bands do 4 a night can have 200 operate licks right ? a great compliment to work of BGU as totally different topics are being handled by this guy See below and let me know if what he says makes sense I would also say that although you dont need to know technically 100 licks that Griff can play at will way more than a hundred licks. Why he can do that is not just how long he has been playing The guy below gets deep into these kind of questions in addition to the regular topics that are covered so well by griff he goes more into "how to learn " "How to practice" "How to eliminate bad habits that hold you back" He nails so many things I know I have done wrong that held me back things no one pointed out. I am now working to correct it and develop a far better practice system as I only just stumbled on this guy. Check out the memorization video below and the comments from so many thanking him. it has link to guitar mastery you tube page and a thousand videos for free you can watch what you think will help you to practice more efficiently wasting not time in improving Tell me what you think. Cheers!

At 4:27 I think he describes exactly what I do with 50 boxes. I trade off one for another go back to the first play the 2nd, then 3rd and 4th then 4th and 5th and back and forth until I can play them fluently. Now doing that helps make only a few stick. Those that stick have some of the components of others Ive learnd so they've come more easily.
Seems to me the only way they are really going to stick is to use them by way of the solos. Now if they arent enough in the pocket for you to truely be entertained then Id make my own chord loop and figure out where I want to stick the ones I really like. Nothing worse than playing what you dont like. I think Griff mentions this in that you take what you can/want and leave the rest. But drilling the ones you dont like will introduce something that even though not great gets you out of a comfort zone so you could look at it as a dexterity drill or ear training, etc.

AnthonySavoie220

Blues Newbie
This is what I usually do with new licks:

First figure out what shape(s) its from. Listen to it a few times to get it in my ear. After that I'll play through it slowly, if I need to break it down into smaller chunks and just work on some weird 3 note sequence my fingers have never done before, that's what I'll do. I'll keep cracking at it till I can play it reasonably well.

After that, and this is the key for me, nothing sticks unless I do this - I mess around with it. Different timing. Sliding into notes instead of bending. Throw some trills in. Try ending the lick on different scale degrees - what happens if I end this on the 5? 3? Goose the 3 a little? I'll play old familiar licks and end with the new one. Play the new one and follow up with an old one. This kind of playing around with it is the only thing that works for me.

Just hammering away, repeating the lick over and over may work for some, but not this guy. I need to really explore it, take it apart, figure out what makes it tick.

Edit - BTW that messing around with it could be a few hours, days and sometimes weeks.

CraigHollander

Blues Newbie
That post is an older one see follow up posts. But this is great got some new guys who are getting it. Both Geoff and Anthony you are on the right path. Sometimes the guys on the boards do not get me what I am saying is I agree with what you are doing and...

A- the end goal is to play solos effortlessly. Just Jam and.... have it sound tasty. focus means setting goal and how you will practice to get there not as you say banging away for hours .
B= My goal is not to memorize just to say hey I just got down 50 licks to memory in x time its to be able to on the spot use them in solos.
C-I use this particular course because Griff provided 50 by the box which allows you to do the following in terms of practicing solos if... you get them to memory.

1- Know enough licks to jam a good amount without sounding repetitive while increasing your speed and ability to quickly memorize
2- To play in different pitches as all 5 boxes are same notes just lower or higher on the neck so gives again variety of sound and lets you build solos that sound good. Although you can stay in 1 place also sound good ask BB
3 helps you get all the box shapes down by learning the licks and yes noting the shapes and seeing how they can connect smooth.
4- You can practice not only in different keys with backing tracks but you can practice playing major over 1 chord and minor over 4 and 5 as Griff says this is the blues secret of sounding even better.

As far as how to memorize as long as you have a system that works for you cool do it the thing is have a system thats it have fun but practice with purpose because getting better is fun.

I like to take licks and 1st put them into order of the note they start on.This my secret sauce try it you will see. 1 box at a time it will stick fast. This goes to griff soloing without scales where you just know the sound you're looking for and are you starting ending on the 1 3 or 5 chord tone? Then I do 3-4 at time for 10 minutes walk away next day jumble it by playing something then check repeat never more than 10 minutes at a time.

Let me know if it works.

CraigHollander

Blues Newbie
Practice and Memorizing 1 month Update

I periodic share on progress in the hopes what I am doing to improve helps some beginner to intermediate players save the time I used to waste..
After today next update will be a full month from now. I thank all for help and patience on 1st month of posting on forum.

- I started serious plan and focus practice Dec 19th 28 days ago
-I only got to actually practice 14 of those days due to work and family commitments.
-When I could practice it was about 1 hour a session occasional 2 so I could not have played more then 1.5 hours on average max l 21 hours likely less

My goals were
improve ability to memorize by using a repeatable system that works
be able to play at fairly fast blues speed clean accurate and articulated in time
Work on Rhythm skills
Stabilize my physical technique-closing out this report today
Improve my guitar and amp tone -moved any additional spark tone discussion to new thread closing here today

Results
Memorizing
-Had 1st practice in 6 days very bad stretch of no practice. Recalled and could play Box 1-4 all licks but had just started on box 5 before missing all those days so that is being worked on now. Goal complete by end of weekend.

Speed- Was able to Do level 1 and 2 no problem level 3 is at 90% and level 4 surprising at 80% already. Goal complete perfect play through by end of month .

Rhythm -Highly neglected working on strumming but over the month re reviewed Rhythm mastery and ran most exercises. Last night I found the link below that leads to an exact breakdown of every Springsteen song strums and fills. Perfect for electric or Acoustic to apply many of the rhythms while learning whole songs and again memorizing . I am not the hugest fan of Bruce but... look at the way this is laid out it can help to get rhythm chops up to speed fast. Interesting the worlds most favorite strum Griff talks about is all over these songs. Goal I will learn ten good ones with different patterns target by end of Feb 6 weeks and have then to memory.

https://www.youtube.com/@BruceGuitar

Physical Technique - Unless something new last update on this because I am finally happy and have it flowing

This has changed my guitar life everything has now come together when I took this serious and made a consistent technique that works. many I guess do this instinctively or were taught it not me...

I realize most of this has been mentioned in Griff various videos but especially in relation to lievel 4 speed licks I have come to realize that getting all this 100% under control is what separates the men from the boys .

- I finally have 100% realized to play clean and also have ability to play clean fast, harder small picks are for me the answer . Did I listen when so many great players said they used Jazz 3 type picks of course . its small but has the more pointed tip then other small picks. I am almost fully adjusted to it and its working,

-Hand and finger position changing the pick I realized having used medium or large picks for me was throwing me off my desired hand position and also was not good for me curing up fingers. Its not for all favorite pick but for me perfect

-proper seated position left and right hand see griff video my forearm lined up comfortable with my hand straight initial position. Although Griff likes fingers out on fretboard and I always did that, I now changed to all fingers curled up and my pick is still between thumb and index but actually further down not between tipped 1st joint with this position the fleshy part of hand is really flat as are thumb and even the curled fingers against strings. and the pick fingers are really supported by the other 3 more than in the fanned out hand position. Muting is now perfect no scratchy noise as hand moves no noise just clean. It felt weird at first but now damn when playing fast so much more precision and control . I never lift fully off always clean.

- I also mastered the concept hit the 1st string the same angle as the 6th this is not lower your wrist alone or pick will become sideways and bad tone I am now moving my forearm just enough at elbow to keep the pick to string attack same at all times regardless of string .

-Pick I hold relaxed and the position of my hand makes it Angle just a touch not fully sideways off string and when I am doing lick low to high direction I tilt my hand a little up away from guitar at the pinky side and keep flat to thumb a touch up when moving high to low this causes what people call pick slant not slanting the actual pick you could do that but this I think is the way pros do it keep pick straight hand angle causes slant . Why ? to not get trapped between the strings and make unwanted noise. Cleaner

-Pick depth as minimum as I can to get good hit and tone .

-left hadnd forearm below neck proper thumb over blues position and finger slant and left hand muting .

-Finally What I noticed Griff does consistently directional or economy picking . yes you can alternate pick everything but that has a specific sound and more likely not to be able to play fast clean directional picking every time the right way game changer.

This may be science but not something you practice you just decide this is how I am going to physically play and after awhile not long less than a month it will be second nature. If watch how griff plays and all great players calm in control not straining relaxed ... this stuff is so important.

The only thing left for me and will take Griff or any advice is I really am getting enough volume from hammers and pull off but for some reason still get unwanted noice often I am trying to figure out why what I can change to get them cleaner .

So closing this technique report basically off except for the pull off question as I cant think of anything else to fix at moment. 14 days changed everything for my ability to play.

Tone

I started a spark thread for anyone who wants to share settings. so details there I will post on spark tone cloud in a week or 2 a bunch of tone settings and effects setting sounds with various amps.

The goal has been hit here as now I can hear the difference between the pro cat and the tube screamer I know the controls I know how they are getting the sounds and I am programming in that I think sounds solid. Presets that come with modelers are generally bad. This was fun to finally understand it all.

Making slow or no progress was what made me quit 2x when young not this time it's going smooth now.

Going Forward Stage 2

Next stage is take the 50 licks over FEB and play over all the backing tracks major sound over 1 chord minor over the 4 and 5 in all different lick combinations until second nature and flowing. Work on my strumming using Griff courses and the bruce tab site and tackle once level 4 is solid solo 6 slow blues solos course because I think its the fastest of all the course solos and If I master that then I know I have achieved something . I am going to use song surgeon and isolate the licks in the speed trainer just like griff does.

You all know writing my updates is Guitar therapy for me when I think about all the wasted time I could have played like I wanted but at least now I will be. end game in sight. Best The Scientist

John-G

The Long and Winding Road
I’m going through the Beginning Blues Soloing course myself, and I’ve been “stuck” on lesson two for weeks. Five four-bar licks, and to progress past the “trading” section of the lesson I need to own them. It’s been a slog, but one I feel is critical to my advancement. I wish I had a magic bullet for owning these licks, but for me it’s been spending my practice time just playing them over and over, switching up the order, ad nauseum until I own them. Then, I know, eventually I’ll have to go through the same process with new licks. If I knew of an easier path, I’d take it.
Same here bro, utterly frustrating ...:(

CraigHollander

Blues Newbie
John and Mark

Do not give up. Trust me on this. Everyone means well with various advice but there are people that can for whatever reason just do the work quick and then there is everyone else. I was in the everyone else frustrated and gave up 2x category . I tried when I was teen gave up in frustration and then again for a year or 2 when I was 30. Griff has the greatest course available it's all there but the one thing I am convinced of is this you need a plan to memorize things and you need a plan to learn proper movement on guitar to own it. Meaning based on what I used to do and what you say is going on you need to adjust how you use your practice time not your fun time your I want to progress focused intense practice time. .Techniques is not knowing what a hammer or pullout or bend etc that is knowledge . it's how to execute them in an efficient way that is repeatable and gets ingrained into muscle memory. Thats when you just can look at a guy like griff how relaxed he is no matter what he plays and say he has technique. But how many people give a thought on how to organize and efficiently practice to learn? This is the key. I after nearly 3 years owning course learned a ton of knowledge fairly good playing while reading tab but was not owning things not being a real player even with massive progress in knowledge. I finally had "the moment" Dec 19th a little over a month ago where it all came together. Follow the below in relation to memorization and you will own the licks and you will sound "right" if I am now doing it making rapid progress anyone can. I just regret that no one took time to show me the path all these years but thankful that now. I see your post I want to help you.

Memorizing

1- Do not focus on to many licks at 1 time to memorize. Do 3 max a day and even if it take 2 days to own those 3 in 10 days you will own 10 right? If you do steps below you will be able to memorize and own 3 licks every 48 hours.

2- Dont think why I am saying this but trust me it will not only work it will help you later on to own the fretboard. Take licks from lesson and copy it to a word doc you call lick library you can do it by each lesson you are working on organize them by the note they start on . So eventually if you in say A minor pentatonic box 1 5th fret 1st string you are going to know at least 5 to 10 things to play from that starting point. For now you are doing it because it helps you memorize by thinking which note the lick starts on. It just does. It is one of the key things that helped me.

3- Do not play the lick a million times that will not ingrain it in your memory you will not own it. Play the lick just for no more than a few times and if 2 start at the same note think what is the difference between the 2 that start on same note. Stop doing this on 3 licks at a time in 5 minutes Do not do it again for at least 6 hours . I have to work so what I got in habit of doing is before coffee in morning grab my guitar not plugged in and try to play the last 3 licks I was learning day before. If I already knew 6 others try to play all 9 . I note how many right. Then I sit with coffee and off my lick library doc I just look at them see what I did right or wrong. Then when I come in from work I repeat as part of my practice plan This is less then 5 minutes in morning and maybe 10 at night. If initially getting 1st 3 takes little more then 48 hours do not try to work on the next 3 until you pick up guitar and can play the 1st 3 without looking at tab.

4- once you have more than 3 licks perfect to memory you go to next 3 and this is important as you repeat step 3 you also do this play the new licks looking at tab initially 1st then try to play the 1st 3 without tab this kind of scrambles brain a little so dont be surprised if suddenly the ones you though you knew you miss something then go back to the new ones try to play without looking at tab . Then stop . The key is to spread these sessions out to no closer together than 6 hours or more. Try to do it like morning and lunch or morning at night but the best thing even if guitar not plugged in is 5-10 minutes morning lunch and night. Playing them a million times is... making you forget them.

5- John- Mark we all have other things going on . I keep a practice log I practiced 21 days out of last 45 thats it I set as a primary goal to increase my ability to memorize so that I can jam on the fly without tab. I used 50 licks by the box and I now have 45 of 50 licks done to memory and will have last 5 before end of Jan. You see 50 licks in like 25 days. It feeds on itself as your realize "I am doing it" you get confidence and memory gets stronger its like your in training for sports and this is the drill your brain stops fighting it and starts going with it.

You cant remember everything but..... in a band where they play 3-4 sets a night 30-40 songs how many licks are in each solo of each song? Way more than 50. So know you can do it. They do. You can.

Final thing is this to own it even when you are a beginner because its not to early to do good habits (I had to break ingrained bad ones) Take each lick and focus on the motion meaning if it has a bend a slide a pullout a hammer isolate just that movement for a minute and think do I sound like griff on the video? if not ask okay why do I not sound like him. When you stop and think about it instead of just playing it a million times you will actually realize my slide is to slow or the pitch of my bend is off or my pulloffs are weak not clear. Then you need to seek either in or. outside the course help in getting those things fixed. Also check right hand are you in right position are you muting are you holding pick right etc. So when you analyze your sound and movement you not only are improving but.... it helps you to memorize and own the licks.

Count it out like Griff says from day one as slow as you need to get it down and note which beat it starts on because all this will help you own it. This counting thing is so obvious to anyone who has ever seen dancers practice or people in a gym aerobics type class the instructor is always counting it in and floating the count effortlessly in and out . Why the hell didnt not one of my teachers say anything but play with a metronome? That doesnt work . Griff made a great contribution to Guitar Kind by bringing out importance of this in being able to do what we all want eventually to feel the pulse the beat and play around with it anyway we want on the fly.

If you do this in a month you can ingrain and memorize and fix a lifetime of bad habits I did it. I am not pro level I am like intermediate but. I can see being advanced by end of year. This is how guys In high school became that good in 4 years they focus they take learning it correctly serious.

I hope you try to do these things and it works for you.... and also block out some time and if beginner do some fun strumming just playing all work and no play is also not good.

Back to the lab
The Scientist