My final try to play the blues from India.

AnthonySavoie220

Blues Newbie
Well, you gotta walk before you run.......mastering the guitar is a great goal......good luck though, nobody ever really gets there......that's the beauty and frustration with guitar and music in general. Just when you get to where you thought you'd want to be, you see an even better destination down the road.

My advice to you is enjoy the damned journey.

If playing guitar isnt fun, you are doing something very wrong. There is a difference between putting in hard, sometimes grueling or uncomfortable, work on something and being so frustrated you want to throw the guitar at the wall. If you're banging your head against the wall on something, set it aside. Come back to it later, for now, work on something fun. Could be as simple as just throwing on some music and picking out root notes as the chords go by. These kinds of really simplistic exercises can really help drive home the structure of a progression. Move from picking roots out, to power chords, or triads to keep the fun factor going.

Essentially what I'm saying is, dont try to go too far too fast. Take your time with it and there is no shame in stepping back and getting down to basics. The Beginning Blues Guitar course may be a great starting point.

If you're at an intermediate level, Blues Guitar Unleashed 2.0 is highly recommended. It's the only course I can speak to as I'm working my way through it right now. I cant imagine you wont learn a ton from it. I've been playing for a long time, mainly blues. Purchased BGU2.0 to fill in some holes in my playing......it's done, and is doing that, as well as providing a whole new library of sounds/licks and added clarity to things I thought I already knew well. It's not just a random collection of lessons. There is a logic to the flow of information, and that information is related back to real world examples of that or a very similar concept being used. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Good luck!

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Unfortunately that IS the name, but that's NOT how it is listed on the My Courses page. I was trying to avoid confusion.
Some folks might realize that as a devotee of theory I was merely attempting to empathize the "Easy" aspect of the course (as did Griff).

Unfortunately someone else might ascribe an ulterior motive. :rolleyes:

Emojis matter!

Last edited:

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
Welcome Sid. I will dispense with the course related advice, I think the other folks that have posted have covered things.

Your diagnosis is a tough one to be sure. I'm dealing with clinical level depression, which comes with it's own share of avoidance mechanisms. Medications are not nearly as potentially difficult, but they have their problems. I'm feeling pretty lucky that things have finally begun to look upwards.

What I will tell you is that having that small attainable goals that give you a sense of accomplishment are critical. Whether it's completing another lesson in a course and posting a recording of the lesson (a rhythm or solo), or participating in one of the virtual jams, learning the various components of a song (for me that's rhythm, lead and bass... each being a separate goal), or for me the ultimate: participating in a live blues jam; each has a sense of accomplishment and reward.

Best part is you get to dictate what those goals are.

The other component is interacting with others... if you can find someone to jam with, learn from one another, fuel one another. Get to a blues jam.

As for the creative aspect, that comes with time... AND jamming with others. Learning licks and learning where they work best, etc.

And finally, don't sweat the standing and practicing thing. Stand for as long as you'd like or as little and then sit. You'll build up tolerance. Also, it's easier to stand when you're more comfortable with what you're playing. It's similar to how tired your fingers and hands get when you're learning something and then how effortless it feels once you have it memorized. Part of it is conditioning. The other part is the lack of physical strain you are putting on yourself when you first learn.

And finally... Music is good for the Soul, making music is even better!!

I wish you all the best in your journey!

Jerome

BobErnst194

Blues Newbie
Hi all,
This is my final effort in trying to play blues and become a professional blues guitarist.
I have tried various other sites but wanted to try this too as all I was doing was memorizing and regurgitating solos.
I am currently going through the how to jam alone on an acoustic course.
After finishing the course I plan to buy a good acoustic.
Can someone point me to similar courses for acoustic after the how to jam alone course?
I can't really afford a Martin or a Taylor so I am planning to buy an acoustic from Hex acoustic guitars made in China from procraftIndia.com for about 20000 odd rupees.
Anyway I am off to play now. If I can muster the courage and strength to stand up.
I find it very difficult to stand up and play guitar because I lose motivation due to my schizophrenia and depression dual diagnosis.
I feel like I am fighting the devil constantly in my mind. My amygdala frequently goes into freeze/flight/fight mode.
Thanks for reading my rambling.
Blues on.
Your friend from South India,
Siddhu Boy.
Seems like you've earned the right to play the blues with conviction. Good luck!