Pick technique guidance

CraigRomero217

Blues Newbie
I am fairly new to all courses, my question is as I play say box 2 minor and go back and forth to box 1 and 3 and/or between all 5 boxes my pick discipline gets muddled and then I get lost. How do I hone in this skill. Do we have any instruction on pick drills in our content. - Thanks all

ervjohns

Blues Junior
Try just concentrating on one transition at a time, say between box 1 and box 2 and just practice that. Usually the third string is a good place to make the transition. There are some lessons or blog posts about alternate picking but again practice that with a pattern you have mastered. Sounds like you may be trying to learn too many things at once?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Picking technique is part of something that Griff calls our guitar DNA. Meaning that some people find one picking style comfortable and other find people find a different one comfortable. You will probably have to ignore it for now and discover which type you are..
Going back and forth between the boxes will serve you well.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
A good exercise with a pick is to go from Box 1-5. First, use a down stroke. Repeat and do a down stroke - upstroke on each note, followed by a triplet - down up down. The exercise is meant to allow you to gain control. :cool::) This is also a good warm up exercise.

Tom