Should I?

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I suspect most of you are aware that I've got an eBook out there on song writing.
It's got 12 chapters including chapters on recording and mixing plus suplimental material.

So far, those that have purchased it seem to get something out of it.
I'm wonering if it's a good idea to produce a few simple cheat sheets that help express my thoughts on this subject.

It took quite a bit of time & effort to produce the eBook and assosseated materials that make up my song writing system and quite frankly, I'm bummed that only a small audience has actually used it.

So, I'm asking you for some feedback:
-Does this have any value?
-What would be your list of topics?
-Would a simple cheat sheet be a good idea or would something a little more in depth be more useful?

I'm want to keep this guidance more general on the main elements of recording and mixing rather than tutorials on any specific DAW or plugin.

Thanks in advance everyone :)

Last edited:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
It might be best to take both approaches - a simple cheat sheet and a more in depth approach. Does this make sense?

Simple cheat sheet might include:
Chapter One - The Song In Your Head
Chapter Two - Good Can Be Great
Chapter Three - What Makes A Song
Chapter Four - How To Get Started
Chapter Five - Song Structure
Chapter Six - Lyrical Ideas Chapter Seven - Music Basics
Chapter Eight - Finding A Melody
Chapter Nine - Getting The Band Together
Chapter Ten - Recording Your Song
Chapter Eleven - Mixing Your Song
Chapter Twelve - Releasing Your Song

A more in depth approach might be to Include the 12 chapters and the subtopic titles within each chapter. That way the reader would have a road map of where things are located at a glance. This presumes that the reader owns the software! It could also be a selling point for those that do not own the software. Gee, I sure would like to know how to do xyz. Oh, and there is ABC. I have to have that! :cool::love:

Tom

Elwood

Blues
So, I'm asking you for some feedback:
-Does this have any value?
-What would be your list of topics?
-Would a simple cheat sheet be a good idea or would something a little more in depth be more useful?
Hey Moto,
Value - Certainly, but the value will be different for each player.
List of topics - sorry, not very good on this one. I guess the recording and mixing tips are what I am most interested in reading
Both - A task list for quick nav and picking out single topics, the in depth for when you need and want to play by play description.

I was kinda slow to jump on this. Sorry.

I'm kinda funny with some things. Making up tunes, I can't remember a time when I didn't. I have always liked to mess with rhymes, and then like walking or driving they just get fit into time, like with footsteps or wipers and blinkers going. Most are "dixie cup" tunes, forgotten as easily as they came. It's always done with the full convention of a committee of one, that's just me.
When I got around to making up something I might like to keep, I already had an idea of what I would like a "keeper" to have as far as basic qualities. I was a lousy student in school, mind always wandering. But from Art I learned to appreciate some balance, even asymmetrical is still balance. From reading you can't help but start to appreciate the different elements of composition, opening - character building - recurring themes - crescendo - anticlimax...all that stuff is hiding in most of the stuff I would like to read. And then listen to some classical music and viola!!! (yes - pun intended) most of the same parts are done, just with music. Then three of the modern virtuoso pianists who never fail to inspire (Ray Charles, Leon Russell and Elton John) when they make up some of their wonderful music use the same elements. Could it be something common to art? Hmmmm. Anyway when I make something up I usually have an idea of what I feel that I should do, not that I always do it right? At least a few of those elements are present most of the time (some genres seem to be more resistant to formulation - not talking about theory now)
When I get making up a tune, I really like for it to sneak up on me. Sitting thinking with an instrument at hand and just processing what's on my mind. Cynical, humorous, emotional, serious, wait for it - it's all good!. And then if I see if I can find any feeling in what I'm doing, trying to use what musical and expressive skills I can drum up (ow ow ow, the first two letters of pun are p-u) and see if I end up with a tune or not. The same process, if you can call it that, applies whether I'm dreaming up an instrumental or not.
I know, TMI (see, I'm contemporary).
Anyway, you seem to be wondering about what we are thinking when trying to make up a tune (I don't like "write" or "compose" with reference to my work, I am just more comfortable with "something I made up") so there ya go.
I jumped or your sale here because I seem to ask way too frequently about mixing and recording stuff, and I see you dedicate some lines to those topics - and - I want to show some support for your work. Even looking at it from the outside it is obvious that you worked your tail off on this and did a fine job of it.
And while I'm at it, thanks again for all of your wonderful help, not just the help you show me, all of it!

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Hey Moto,
Value - Certainly, but the value will be different for each player.
List of topics - sorry, not very good on this one. I guess the recording and mixing tips are what I am most interested in reading
Both - A task list for quick nav and picking out single topics, the in depth for when you need and want to play by play description.

I was kinda slow to jump on this. Sorry.

I'm kinda funny with some things. Making up tunes, I can't remember a time when I didn't. I have always liked to mess with rhymes, and then like walking or driving they just get fit into time, like with footsteps or wipers and blinkers going. Most are "dixie cup" tunes, forgotten as easily as they came. It's always done with the full convention of a committee of one, that's just me.
When I got around to making up something I might like to keep, I already had an idea of what I would like a "keeper" to have as far as basic qualities. I was a lousy student in school, mind always wandering. But from Art I learned to appreciate some balance, even asymmetrical is still balance. From reading you can't help but start to appreciate the different elements of composition, opening - character building - recurring themes - crescendo - anticlimax...all that stuff is hiding in most of the stuff I would like to read. And then listen to some classical music and viola!!! (yes - pun intended) most of the same parts are done, just with music. Then three of the modern virtuoso pianists who never fail to inspire (Ray Charles, Leon Russell and Elton John) when they make up some of their wonderful music use the same elements. Could it be something common to art? Hmmmm. Anyway when I make something up I usually have an idea of what I feel that I should do, not that I always do it right? At least a few of those elements are present most of the time (some genres seem to be more resistant to formulation - not talking about theory now)
When I get making up a tune, I really like for it to sneak up on me. Sitting thinking with an instrument at hand and just processing what's on my mind. Cynical, humorous, emotional, serious, wait for it - it's all good!. And then if I see if I can find any feeling in what I'm doing, trying to use what musical and expressive skills I can drum up (ow ow ow, the first two letters of pun are p-u) and see if I end up with a tune or not. The same process, if you can call it that, applies whether I'm dreaming up an instrumental or not.
I know, TMI (see, I'm contemporary).
Anyway, you seem to be wondering about what we are thinking when trying to make up (I don't like "write" or "compose" with reference to my work, I am just more comfortable with "something I made up") so there ya go.
I jumped or your sale here because I seem to ask way too frequently about mixing and recording stuff, and I see you dedicate some lines to those topics - and - I want to show some support for your work. Even looking at it from the outside it is obvious that you worked your tail off on this and did a fine job of it.
And while I'm at it, thanks again for all of your wonderful help, not just the help you show me, all of it!
Thanks for the response.
As I read your comments, I thought… hmm Elwood could have written a chapter or two in my book, I think we are aligned in many ways about creating a song.

Thanks for your support, maybe you’ll find something useful in my offering.
It’s not a perfect piece of work, just some of my learning hobbled together in a crude way.

Moto

Elwood

Blues
maybe you’ll find something useful in my offering.
I'm certain of that! :Beer::Beer::Beer:

In a future revision it would be nice if your Table of Contests was click linked to each chapter. No big deal, just faster navigation for those among us who might be a little slow. ) It looks pretty amazing!!!

Oh yeah! Skimming through the recording / mixing sections, well your writing sounds just like one of the guys on the forum that is always trying to save me from myself when I attempt those things! ;) I'm sure having a reference volume for those tons of tips is just a great thing to have! (y)

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I wanted to put some thought into this.............mainly, I think it's the respectful thinng to do considering how much you helped me in more ways than I can count.

The problem with most things I have read or videos I have watched, they do one of two things.
1) It's like please shut the hell up and get to the point your 7 minute video only has 2 minutes of useful stuff.
2) or their beginner video is for sure not beginner and they dont take into account that some people may not realize you can adjust the audio in many DAW's from the corner of the audio track, or may not know what a crossfade is.

And as @Elwood stated, different people different values. For example, some may want to write songs, thats all they care about, they click the AI auto mixer master and walk away like I used too.................now I make a ton more mistakes because I am really digging down with doing my own EQ, compression everything.

Other people , they spend less time on the song, and are more about playing with the tools and plug ins, been there done that....................and how do you please everyone, you can't.

So, in the current system, what did I find useful.
1) The charts stuff and I had many of my own, why, because many people are visual and they dont have time to spend learning the notes /chords of every key, so the quick reference is nice, and, when switching keys easy to see whot chords are similar keys.

2) The song writing template for organization, I live and die by that to keep me on the straight and narrow, especially like my last song where I was experimenting with a ton of things like piano sounds, so putting notes in there was huge.

The way I see it, you have two issues, same ones every person faces. How do you make it to keep a newbie interested, but also have value for someone with some experience.

sooooooooooo..................using @Silicon Valley Tom list, as why re-invent the wheel.

Chapter One - The Song In Your Head Very important to let people know the purpose, that being get whats in your head to peoples ears. I would include a little bit of how music structure has changed and how there really is no wrong asnwers.
Examples, like way back when, instead of a guitar solo, they used a bridge, now sometimes its one or the other or both.
Back when they used to say, "Don't bore us, hit us with the chorus" like in the song sugar sugar. But keep it somewhat short

Chapter Two - Good Can Be Great- include a reminder, songs dont have to be complex, the old saying 3 chords and the truth rings true so often.

Chapter Three - What Makes A Song - I dont know, it has instruments or the voice as an instrument

Chapter Four - How To Get Started - probably the most important, how to get off the backside and start, have hints like using the notepad on your phone, or always having a note pad with you. I have single lines, subjects, ehtire verses, sometimes they get combined into one. All sitting there if I ever needs something. T

Chapter Five - Song Structure - speaks for itself, I really dig the charts on how to write a pop song just plug and play

Chapter Six - Lyrical Ideas Chapter Seven - Music Basics - another one, one warning I would put in as I have a tendency to do it, try not too cram too many words in. Usually I start with a ton of words and lose 20% as I cant sing them and play, theres too many to fit

Chapter Eight - Finding A Melody - My guess, this is where many people probably struggle. I think a ton of people get words in their head, they have a basic melody, but then what, they look at aguitar or something and freeze. So you structured charts are very important hear. Maybe give a suggestion like humming until you find kind of they key you want to start in. But remind people the fill in the blanks are to get you started, there is no reason not to expand when you wnat

Chapter Nine - Getting The Band Together- Not sure here, one thing. Maybe drop some hints about layering here, such as Lynrd Skynrd had 3 accomplished guitar players, their sound was huge because of it. For sure some talk about virtual insturments

Chapter Ten - Recording Your Song - the toughie. YOu need a chapter labeled very basic, maybe call it the Whats a DAW chapter. And put notes depending on lvel may want to skip. I mean have an absolute basic. When I started everything talked about side channels abd busses and ssl compressors and I was like huh ?
And this was in the recording which to my thought should be in mixing only, recording should be about getting things into the DAW with a focus on basic gear and recording level. Then an intermediate and advanced. Discussion on anything with a USB can be an interface usually

Chapter Eleven - Mixing Your Song _ the fun one where we get lost in the weeds. I went throught he million plug in phase, doesnt work. Again, a beginner, intermediate, advanced. Beginners with just an acoustic and microphone dont need to worry about busses. They need to know maybe a little about melodyne essential, some reverb and export. Start with busses in intermediate and compression

Chapter Twelve - Releasing Your Song _ I guess this is, what do you want to do with it ?

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
@sdbrit68
Thanks for your feedback Mark.
You are so right, you can't cram an audience into any one bucket.
Everybody comes as they are and it's a challenge to deliver something that will meet the needs of the many vs the few.

Last edited: