Straight in or 4 cable?

Mr.Scary

A Blues Legend in My Own Mind
So who runs straight in to the front of their amps and who does the 4 cable method.
What are your thoughts? I tried the 4 cable went back to the front end of a clean amp sound. However I do put external mod pedals in the FX loop in the Stomp XL With the Line6 Catalyst this works quite nice on the"Clean" amp. Besides we did that back in the dayright.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Honestly I experimented with 4 cable once but in general that's just way too fiddly and cable-y for me. These days I put a premium on simplicity and quick set up time (I think in open mic terms with respect to my gear). Gimme one plug and go! :Beer:

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I'm pretty low-tech and boring. Most of the time, I either don't use any pedals at all, or just an overdrive pedal to get some volume boost when needed. When I do bring out the pedal board, I either put all the pedals through the effects loop or all through the input and see which sounds better.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I'm pretty low-tech and boring. Most of the time, I either don't use any pedals at all, or just an overdrive pedal to get some volume boost when needed. When I do bring out the pedal board, I either put all the pedals through the effects loop or all through the input and see which sounds better.
Me too. I haven't had an amp powered up in months. My antiquated Eleven Rack is still my go-to rig. The setting I use is either a Super Reverb or a Vibroverb. Both have a tube screamer type as part of the setting and it appears in the signal chain ahead of the amp. I also have a really light plate reverb applied after the amp sim. It is a very clean (probably boring) sound. The controls very rarely get touched.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Me too. I haven't had an amp powered up in months. My antiquated Eleven Rack is still my go-to rig. The setting I use is either a Super Reverb or a Vibroverb. Both have a tube screamer type as part of the setting and it appears in the signal chain ahead of the amp. I also have a really light plate reverb applied after the amp sim. It is a very clean (probably boring) sound. The controls very rarely get touched.
At home I mostly use the Spark exclusively with just overdrive and reverb into a model. For jams, it's usually my little 15w Monoprice tube amp, which sounds really good to my ears without anything in front of it. Literally all of my pedals these days are for my harp going into a little 5w tube amp.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
The controls very rarely get touched.
Feel this. When I first started excitedly jumping down these rabbit holes, I wanted all the choices because I really didn't know what I wanted so didn't want to leave anything out. I mean, I even got that expensive Positive Grid "Bias Mini" multi amp rig that lets you go so far as to change out the tube types in your amp models—even though I still don't really understand what kind of tube does what in an amp.

Didn't take me too long to realize I had a hefty case of options paralysis, and no freaking clue how to leverage all that power. Even my Quilter Mach II feels like it has too many options these days and I'm actively seeking to trade it for a Mach III with much simpler controls. I found a couple of settings on it that sounded good enough to me and there the knobs stay.

My current practice rig has only a tuner pedal, a Quilter pre-amp box with a cab simulator, and a single klone style OD pedal, feeding into monitor speakers via a Focusrite. The most fiddly it gets is having to remember to turn off the OD and the cab sim when I play an acoustic into it (acoustics sound better to me in FRFR mode on the Quilter block). A bonus with this rig is it's already all set up to feed my DAW if I want to record something. I couldn't begin to describe the tone it produces with my Hollowbody II plugged in, only that I like it well enough to keep it.

Zzzen Dog

Blues Junior
Before modelling, I used the 4 cable method, plus amp channel switch cable and pedalboard power cable back to power. To make life simpler, I used a snake to run the cables to the amp, with labelled ends.