Warm ups are important for a guitarist!

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I have been playing guitar for over 70 years and have not had any problems with my hands due to the guitar. I may be lucky! :cool::) I have had sports injuries but that is not the topic of this discussion.

I like to recommend doing a few basic exercises with the guitar before starting a "session", be it practice or performance. Determine what works for you and how long the warm up should last. I use a five minute warm up and find that it works for me. Get your fingers moving and your head oriented with music and forget the outside world! :love: After the warm up, I like to get into new material, and then play whatever I like for as long as I want. Above all have fun! It is nice to have a sense of direction. If you are into Blues, follow Griff.

Tom

MarkWalker218

Blues Newbie
Agree, I always start a practice session or before a jam by doing the chromatic scale 0,1,2,3,4 feet on each string up and down for a few minutes and then running through all the pentatonic shapes in C and one other key for several minutes. Gets my fingers moving and my head thinking about the notes and shapes.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
My warmup is simple and is basically like a two-string walk up.
It starts a full step below the root on the sixth string then goes to the middle of box one and ends with some "rock bends" in the house pattern of box 2.
I go up into it and then back down out of it several times, usually with a variety of Dorian half-steps sprinkled in, until I can do it smoothly and then I'm ready.