NPD - Donner Circle Looper

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
The Donner Circle Looper is a combination drum machine and looper that works great for practicing. Also, because you're able to load backing tracks from a computer into any of its 40 memory slots, you could also use it for solo performances. The 40 slots can each record 4 minute loops in 44.1kHz/24 bit WAV form (backing tracks added from a PC can be longer if they're MP3s). There are 100 drum tracks (10 styles with 10 tracks per style), plus 10 metronome tracks. The best part is that it sells for $98.99 on Donnerdeal.com and you can usually get it for $90 with a 10% off coupon. I had originally been considering the Flamma FS21 ($120 on Amazon with coupon), but it's the exact same unit as the Donner for $30 more.

Pros:
  • You can use it separately as a looper or a drum machine, or combine the two
  • When the looper is combined with the drum track, you get a 4 click lead-in to your looper recording
  • You can set the drum BPM with a dial or by using tap tempo
  • You can set a fade out on the tracks of up to 5 seconds
  • Your recording is stored in memory even when the looper is powered off
  • With the using of an external footswitch (Digitech FSX3 or equivalent), you can scroll up and down through recordings or drum tracks, as well as switch between the two
  • You can Undo or Redo the last recorded dub without wiping out the whole recording
  • You don't have to be extremely precise with your dubbing. It compensates for minor differences.
Cons:
  • Other than a couple of them, the Blues drum tracks are pretty bad. However, some of the Pop and Rock ones can be used for blues
  • Overall, the drum tracks are just okay in quality, but considering the price . . .
  • A little easy to get clipping on the input. Needs to have guitar direct in and pedals after.

Overall, a very useful tool for a bargain price compared to something like the Boss RC-3 at over $200.

Here's mine with my homemade FSX3-style footswitch (the rear switches are higher than the front one, so it harder to hit both accidentally):

CircleLooper.jpg

Here's a Youtube video below that takes you through the various features (and pokes fun at some of the dumb stuff :D).