February 2024 Challenge - Going down to Yasgur's Farm

Elwood

Blues
Yes it's very much a rough draft. No editing or fx.
real good anyway, real real good considering what you said there!!! (y)(y)(y) I could hear all the parts good. The vocals are a bit in the back, sorta like they frequently used to be. I think it makes tons of difference what you are listening on. I hate to hear some of my stuff on different playback platforms. Something for future work. :)

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
real good anyway, real real good considering what you said there!!! (y)(y)(y) I could hear all the parts good. The vocals are a bit in the back, sorta like they frequently used to be. I think it makes tons of difference what you are listening on. I hate to hear some of my stuff on different playback platforms. Something for future work. :)
Thanks, I just talked through the vocal to help me remember my place as I crank out practice takes on guitar. Eventually I'll get a guitar bit I'm happy with, then redo vocal, bass, and drums.

MichaelCapella

Enjoying the blues!
Great topic this month. So many songs to choose from. Here is an acoustic CSN&Y cover for your listening pleasure: Find the Cost of Freedom. I remember back when I was 15 trying to learn a little bit of lead to play on this with a friend from school. I never got much of it figured out. Fun to come back and revisit it now after working on my lead chops with BGU for the last couple of years. Recording the vocals was fun.

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
Great topic this month. So many songs to choose from. Here is an acoustic CSN&Y cover for your listening pleasure: Find the Cost of Freedom. I remember back when I was 15 trying to learn a little bit of lead to play on this with a friend from school. I never got much of it figured out. Fun to come back and revisit it now after working on my lead chops with BGU for the last couple of years. Recording the vocals was fun.

Excellent all round Michael. Short, but very sweet.:)(y)

dvs

Green Mountain Blues

Excellent, love this! :thumbup::thumbup:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member

Great job! loved the harmonies too.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Recording the vocals was fun.

Brilliant job, from my POV, on three levels Michael.
First, you've tackled both Stephen's and Neil's guitar parts, and done a great job on both.
Second, the lead vocal is superb - the timbre of your voice, to me, is a bit more like David than Stephen, but well done.
Third, the harmonies are lovely. Croz always reckoned that he had the hard, "middle" part. It wasn't 'til the a capella section that I caught it from you. Of course, the "middle" harmony is not necessarily the one between the high and low parts, but rather the third between the root and fifth, and you've put that part lower than the others beautifully.
I'm not surprised that you didn't (or did you?) try the Graham Nash part - I'd say that is too high even for him these days.

***** from me.

MichaelCapella

Enjoying the blues!
Brilliant job, from my POV, on three levels Michael.
First, you've tackled both Stephen's and Neil's guitar parts, and done a great job on both.
Second, the lead vocal is superb - the timbre of your voice, to me, is a bit more like David than Stephen, but well done.
Third, the harmonies are lovely. Croz always reckoned that he had the hard, "middle" part. It wasn't 'til the a capella section that I caught it from you. Of course, the "middle" harmony is not necessarily the one between the high and low parts, but rather the third between the root and fifth, and you've put that part lower than the others beautifully.
I'm not surprised that you didn't (or did you?) try the Graham Nash part - I'd say that is too high even for him these days.

***** from me.
Thanks, Chris. I appreciate the thorough listening and insightful response. You are correct, I added the third part under the melody, no way I could do it above! I didn't add it until the a cappella section because I wanted the vocals to keep building. I tuned my acoustic for the main guitar part from E down to D so I didn't have to strain too much on the high harmony!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member

Whoa! Thank you so much for doing this and sharing! This is just another reason why I love the monthly challenges. That was exceptional. Everything was so carefully thought out and executed. Awesome!

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Bearing in mind my throat problems, this probably wasn't the wisest choice of songs.:eek: I think the girls (backing singers) were out on the town the night before, which would explain a lot.:ROFLMAO: Hope they make you smile. There was no way I was going to hit the 'Cocker Scream', so I drafted his in instead. I hope the JBT's don't disqualify me for that!!:ROFLMAO: Here's 'With a Little Help From My friends'.

With a Little Help From My Friends
That my FRIEND---was excellent= the perfect song for you.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Last edited:

MichaelCapella

Enjoying the blues!
Bearing in mind my throat problems, this probably wasn't the wisest choice of songs.:eek: I think the girls (backing singers) were out on the town the night before, which would explain a lot.:ROFLMAO: Hope they make you smile. There was no way I was going to hit the 'Cocker Scream', so I drafted his in instead. I hope the JBT's don't disqualify me for that!!:ROFLMAO: Here's 'With a Little Help From My friends'.

With a Little Help From My Friends
Great job on this. Really enjoyed it. (y)(y):giggle:

Elwood

Blues
Well I just checked and it's only February the 32nd. So here is an entry.

This tune was done by Tim Hardin on the first day in his 9 pm set, third tune. That man came up with some fine tunes!

The version you are about to hear is the result of collaboration between @Elio and I. I only did the guitar and vocal. Elio did that mesmerizing harp and both shakers, the three congas, and the vibra-slap!

We hope you all like it!

If I Were A Carpenter

Last edited: