How to use triads - target chord tones and play back and forth and in between chord tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigHollander

Blues Newbie
Hi PapaBear , You get it. Yes correct . That is what I am saying for 2 months about the whole thing and it's the main reason why people are not getting the most out of not just Griff amazing ,material but any material. you can have all the knowledge int eh world but do not see the "connection" between different parts different ideas different courses. After I fixed my easy problems guitar tone, guitar physical technique playing to speed (still working but way better) and very important memorization . Having enough licks to memory no tab. I tried to solo and yes if I stay in all pentatonic minor over the chords I can do it but it was not what I hear on many great players I wanted to know more so that was Feb 1 and that is how I got to understand what I am babbling about on PDF. All because I feel so bad that it took me a lifetime to be able to break out and I know what I changed in how I process practice connect it together I though pass it on after 3 years of watching people cry on this site about problems playing that sounded.... just like me.

Papa Raptor

Please do this for me tell me the triad of Am Dm and Em chords

Then in A7 blues where box 1 starts on the 5th fret 6 string tell me all the 5 notes then do the same tell me the exact notes of box 4 6 string root
then I want you to take box 4 and play it from the 5th string root on the 5th string. tell me the 5 notes not the shape the actual notes and tell me what you get. Include the 6 string even though the root is different

After you post I will know if I have brain fog or lack of understanding or if maybe you all have missed something I will happily hope I am wrong please do this . Thank you

P.S I know that he referring to the sound .... that is why he says technically yes but you will not like the sound much.

CraigHollander

Blues Newbie
I have to run out again but I think I have it all figured out and ... it's going to blow out the last roadblock and its all laid out in another very deep and encompassing course Griff did. If you anyone thinks they cant benefit from what I am trying to do for myself and share then tell me why no one told me how are we going to do this method you gave out if Griff says that playing the 4 box over the 4th and 5th chord will not sound good. It's in the course the answer I just found it but I have to run and will speak to it later. The answer goes back which set off this latest investment in time Feb 1. Papa Bear is starting to get me. I think when I send this explanation out hopefully the rest of you will as well.

There is no perfect shortcut but we need as a group to have a way to pull all the course focuses together or how can we actually apply them.

I again am no expert I feel like an idiot that even though I was trying to be careful and I still stick with all I said in pdf tiny 4 pages that I completely missed this important point. The good news is I was doing it by ear I could hear when trying it out when I was hitting it correctly and not but took 24 hours to figure out why.

Give me a few hours to get time to explain it.

Leaving now

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
I don't see where Craig was discouraging Griff's methods.
I don't see that anywhere either.

In fact he has nothing but praise for Griff.

He has achieved great progress with Griff along with a series of videos from other instructors.

He's combined both into a more comprehensive, organized plan aimed at the frustrated and discouraged so that they too can make great progress in a shorter amount of time.

But don't quote me.

Apparently I really don't get it.

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Please do this for me tell me the triad of Am Dm and Em chords
Am = A-C-E
Dm = D-F-A
Em = E-G-B

Then in A7 blues where box 1 starts on the 5th fret 6 string tell me all the 5 notes
You didn't specify, but since you appear to be replying to my comment, I'll go with the A minor pentatonic.
A-C-D-E-G-A-C-D-E-G-A-C

then do the same tell me the exact notes of box 4 6 string root
There is no root on the 6th string in box 4. The two notes on the 6th string in box 4 are the 5 and flat7. The exact notes are E and G. The lowest root note for box 4 is on the 5th string.
Box 4 of the minor pentatonic scale always has the root on the 5th string and 3rd string.
Across all six strings A minor pentatonic box 4 starts either with an open string or the 12th fret (your choice) and consists of E-G-A-C-D-E-G-A-C-D-E-G

then I want you to take box 4 and play it from the 5th string root on the 5th string. tell me the 5 notes not the shape the actual notes and tell me what you get. Include the 6 string even though the root is different
E-G-A-C-D-E-G-A-C-D-E-G

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
He also says if you like the sound knock yourself out,

And that he’s never found an example of anyone use that approach.

Nor have you mentioned I’m the one that pointed it out and provided the cheat sheet. :cry:

CraigHollander

Blues Newbie
you are really not helping your cause doing it again I just got back I will be sending it out soon. It may have been better for you and the group if you had a little patience to wait until I gave the final answer. I do have other things going on?

CraigHollander

Blues Newbie
This is what I believe is to be correct explanation of how to use the shape system and use the IV pattern.

As mentioned the idea of this whole massive 4 page pdf is to bring all the griff course material we can under one roof to connect the dots to open up a world of better sounding guitar playing. If I have it wrong still please let me know thats fine but.. do not get into a argument on who has better approach as I dont care what approach you do I am sharing to try to help what is killing it working for me . If it helps some people that is my intention.

After Paleo brought to my attention that Griff says playing box 4 5 root over over IV chord or V chord will sound bad (yes he does say that ) I went back to look at Griff courses as so far we had pulled together the concepts from the below courses into 4 pages and a few charts as a cheat sheet to get people jump started to see how it all fits together and how to utilize in a musical way.

Here is what we had before today

Soloing without scales - Yes we are speaking of that in terms of licks but also moving chords all over by the root and inversions of triads by root position as well as arpeggios.

Modes unleashed - yes we are touching on it because each pentatonic box is also linked to … a mode.

Major minor Blues - yes this is one of the best and easy way Griff stresses to freshen up your playing Play major over the I chord and Minor over the IV and V

Guitar Theory made easy - some not all as trying to avoid getting into that to deeply is part purpose of doing the cheat sheet.

Essential Blues Chords - We are using all of them or will be

CAGED- Which is what we are in controversy with how to combine with all the others at moment

How to jam the blues alone - this talks about combing licks and chords a bit its the general idea

One Course I forgot about that I think holds the answer…. See next text ….. because I want to remind you again that anyway on Griffs sheet to play over I IV V is great it all works This way you will see also can take you very far. No one ever gets it or modes very rare because TMI and Theory and to many charts etc push people off they cant see the connection between all the courses its overwhelming a bit , but its how you get to next level just like major minor Griff says is next level not that you have to do it but it sounds great. So play how you want I want to know all the ways to solos and sound good not 1 way See next Post

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Am = A-C-E
Dm = D-F-A
Em = E-G-B

You didn't specify, but since you appear to be replying to my comment, I'll go with the A minor pentatonic.
A-C-D-E-G-A-C-D-E-G-A-C

There is no root on the 6th string in box 4. The two notes on the 6th string in box 4 are the 5 and flat7. The exact notes are E and G. The lowest root note for box 4 is on the 5th string.
Box 4 of the minor pentatonic scale always has the root on the 5th string and 3rd string.
Across all six strings A minor pentatonic box 4 starts either with an open string or the 12th fret (your choice) and consists of E-G-A-C-D-E-G-A-C-D-E-G

E-G-A-C-D-E-G-A-C-D-E-G
I think I may understand the disconnect here, in the videos Craig posted, the Triads and Shapes are all Major pentatonic, none of them discuss Minor, so if you were playing the Major sound over a blues progression, box 4 major in D would work over the 4 chord in an A blues. Minor not so much.

CraigHollander

Blues Newbie
From Griff course

1-When most people learn to play the blues, they start with the minor pentatonic and/ or the minor blues scale (they are almost identical.) And while there is nothing wrong with those scales, and they are useful and allow you play the blues all day long... they don’t always give you the whole picture.

The reason they don’t give you the whole picture is because not all of the “sweet” notes are there. In other words, pentatonic and blues scales are great because you can’t be wrong with any of the notes, but you may not always be exactly right either.

“What he means is some of the chord tones you want to emphasis using the most popular and easy method fall outside of the the scale”

2-Again, we’re still playing the A Minor Pentatonic sound, so we have the A, C, D, E, and G, but the chord is a D (got that,) F# (don’t got that,) A (got that,) and C (got that.) Notice that the F#, again one of the 2 most important notes in that chord, isn’t in your scale – there’s no way to get it.

“He is talking about when you try to play over the IV chord you do not have one of the most important notes. This is what I was trying to say to papa to write out the triads and the 3 box position notes to illustrate this exact point earlier”

3- To make matters worse, we have a G which, if you hang out there, will tend to sound suspended over the D chord... but again if you’re just using the scale you probably won’t know why it doesn’t sound quite right... it just won’t sound quite right.

Now the E7 chord has an E, G#, B, and D – and again you can probably see that we’re missing the G# and the B from our scale. The G# is more important, and we have a G Natural so we’ll be OK, but it’s not perfect.

Here is explaining the comment in the PDF of what happens when you play box 4 over the IV chord or V chord Thus theoretically correct but you will not like the sound

4-So blues players throughout history have relied on the “close enough” sound of the minor pentatonic and the minor blues scales – and it works amazingly well.

But, what if you want to get more than just “close enough?”

So here he is saying why playing minor pentatonic is the most popular its not perfect but you will sound good . What he says last line is what happens when you want to take it to better then close enough. The whole point since FEB 1 that I am trying to explain to you all.

5-You have a couple of options, one is to actually change keys with each chord. And this is a process I often describe as “Every Chord Is I” and I’ve talked about it in other courses that I’ve taught.

But there’s another way, a way that ties together things in a new, more musical way, and that’s to solo by chord instead of by scale... and in fact, mixing the “by chord” and the “by scale” allows for some really impressive sounds.

Paleo remember when I told you the chord determines the scale . you are right that chords are created off of major scale as you said but that is not what I was saying I am saying what griff is saying above.

This is to the point of the way I am now opening up things in playing faster I see the chord and it dictates the scale I only started trying to adapt this for blues only less to understand and to remember because I believe in think small grow big. Its works on any chord family of chords same system different chords and scales different “emotions” “feelings” His last line should be enough to say why everyone including me need to understand all this.

6-The first chord shape we’ll talk about is the one most people are most familiar with. I’m calling it the “E Shape” chord because if you take this chord and move it down to

it’s open position, it’s an E

Yes this is what I have in my pdf but in the chart as additional visualization I group every part of this by box

Open chord closed version

The E shape the E arpeggio Pentatonic Box and the Minor Scale

Look at his similar box development and realize what it meant is what I am saying he is seeing the triad chord tones in the arpeggio shape or as cage calls it the E shape not in the 7 chord itself

7-
The next shape we’ll tackle is the “A Shape,” or a root on the 5th string barre chord (though, as you’ll see it’s not the only shape we have with a root on the 5th string.)

UMMM the 4 chord from the 5th root? Interesting……..

8-Now, when we play this, I strongly encourage you to start and end on the root. Later, we’ll work on starting in other places, but even then we’ll always end on the roots.

This all was the missing ingredient in my pdf which I am going to completely fix clean up for myself to never lose this info and then post.

He is saying to start and end on the root when playing like this because when you take the box IV root 6th string and use from 5th string root the position of the of all of the 1 b3 5 and 4 and 7 change same pattern but the positions changed so why it doesnt sound good regular way is because we have learned box 4 licks that fit to the box 1 root.

Why the hell did I stumble on all of this direct connection to the above. When I took the 50 licks I memorized for jamming form Griff course by the box I though hey let me practice major minor I can take the box 2 licks he gave and just move them up to play off the same space I would play minor box 1 . Griff Says on PDF that is good and he says al notes are same so why did it sound bad . The licks construction for major is different than minor using same pattern. So here for IV chord look his chart at where the root is its on the IV or if played on V its on the correct note to highlight the chord . He also say yes you can incorporate the other 2 and the all important the one missing from...... the 1 box shape.

Conclusion

You do this to keep the chords and the scales as close together as possible so you can practice moving back and for the between the full chords licks arpeggios double stops partial chords from triads and emphasis the best notes the sweet spots

. The way you avoid bad sound is thinking if it as a mode you are playing box 4 but form the I b3 5 of the IV or V chord not the ! Chord .

In playing on the porch or how to play Alone. Course Griff fast strums the chord then plays 1 or 2 measures of licks When you do this you start to anticipate the changes you hear them the sound of minor major the sound of a I vs IV fast . This is a link to a guy who created a incredible library of blues licks in all styles.

He doesnt speak . He plays the chord then the lick ends playing the chord . This is how you train your ear to do what my neighbor can do hear color hear the sound of different chords by ear and scales and the sound when combined. You can hear every note inside a chord even when strummed. I can only do a little but believe I see improvement and can now get there but if you just be aware during practice and listen it will come and then I believe from seeing many great players how you can really just feel and have ingrained everything and make incredible stuff.

If I had seen the playing by the chord which is again sort of caged we wouldn’t have confusion sorry I am not perfect.

I will try to revamp the PDF even more concisely by tomorrow night.

Thank you

CraigHollander

Blues Newbie
Paleo look at the chart in my pdf at the minor scale on the right then look at Box 1 and see the shape inside the scale . You know theory what mode is that minor chart? Link means that the pentatonic scale fits within a corresponding major or minor scale . You see the shapes inside . this is why each row goes minior chord shape arpeggio pentatonic to minor scale they build on each other it's the reason Griff says in the pdf you sent me about the dorian and the mixolydian being popular in relation to blues those are modes

Elio

Student Of The Blues
It has been brought to my attention that Griff does not recommend using box 4 5th string root minor over the iV or IV chord. I saw his chart and I
he says technically yes but you will not like sound. So I need to respond to that before all of you who are trying to use the pdf trash it . Can not do it now will later today. Thanks
Ok, guys, I fully admit to not being the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to theory or practice, but I am really curious since I don't think I've ever heard that before. From a practical perspective, since box 4 contains the same minor pentatonic notes as every other box pattern, why would it sound different over the IV chord than any other box pattern -- assuming that we are talking about a minor pentatonic over a dominant 7 chord in a blues progression? I often use box 4 over a blues progression and I like the sound.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Yes in videos he is all over the place from dom 7 to minor to major as griff says the system works on all chord families
That's my understanding, but why would the same notes not sound as good when played at a different place on the neck? I personally like being able to better vibrato further up the neck, hence my question.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Ok, guys, I fully admit to not being the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to theory or practice, but I am really curious since I don't think I've ever heard that before. From a practical perspective, since box 4 contains the same minor pentatonic notes as every other box pattern, why would it sound different over the IV chord than any other box pattern -- assuming that we are talking about a minor pentatonic over a dominant 7 chord in a blues progression? I often use box 4 over a blues progression and I like the sound.
Best I can tell they are changing scales with the chords, which works pretty well with major, in blues not always with minor. So eg. Major A pentatonic on one chord, D major pentatonic on four chord....etc.

CraigHollander

Blues Newbie
Elio you just hit on the disconnect that you all have. Not a bad thing we are getting somewhere finally. Griff explains why. in chord by chord soloing. You are mostly soloing over all 3 chords using the 5 boxes of the key 6 string root
many just in box 1 and 2 He says nothing wrong with that but there are other ways. To play over
A7 DT E7

Griff shows it in the chord by chord soloing. what I illustrate in a few pages and the Vancouver video guy champions.

so to get clear do what I asked papa to do. got to the chart of root 6 string box f in A and see where all the notes are and which notes they are and there are charts that show the I b3 and 5th.

You will see clearly when you move it to same pattern but from 5th root things change .

The reason people like soloing by the 6rth string root is yes every box same notes and you can play over each chord Grif says not perfect but hard to sound bad the easiest solution. However there is another way. You want to play not only the chord of A7 D7 and E7 but have a system to keep it all close in to each other while using a pattern that has all the D& triad chord tones E7 triad chord tones so you can find them the fragment chords the double stops the I b3 5 fast and easy through shapes.

What the Vancouver guy is saying and I dont want this argument again I share his opinion there is value in knowing scales but I can teach my son to do this all through shapes and very little memorization he has to know the 5th and 6th string notes and then automatically you know the 1st string notes which is half neck as you use other chords with 2 3 4 root the system works the same way and you will naturally learn the names of the notes and more important where the triads are .... the shapes that is what chord by chord and 'caged is no one including me until feb 1 gets this . but when you do fully get it .... its going to help you massive.

Not opposed to any other way but guess what here is another video why you should cheat on guitar from same guy. You have to wonder after 14 years teaching why would he make it? Because of all the pushback to change of viewpoint he gets from people because they think its hard to get down its not once you put it all together and practice it or not worth their time as they go on playing only minor pentatonic box 1 . When could at this you want to play a lick that fits in box 3 over D7 not with this you know how to find the shape that matches box 3 you see the root I matched it for yiou on PDF and boom there you go . I am starting just to practice it now for test of month limited to not get overwhelmed its taken 10 days to get it al straight in my head.

No one right way but clearly Griff has not one but 2 courses talking about it why I never see people discuss in 3 years reading the forum?

Show me that griff is not considering it an important part of guitar.? He made 2 courses about it? I did what it sounds like all of you did for the whole 3 years I had access to course I ignored it . This is what I mean by being able to utilize all griff offers from 1st day beginner to guy trying but can play whole life me it involve a fresh perspective on practice learning and open mind . Elio you and PapaBear and papa raptor are starting to see it today . If you regulars can see it you are going to help so many lurkers who read but dont post as well as those who come on sad and angry they cant get it . All I want to do is play the damn thing for real and develop a way to learn it that is fast .

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
A minor Box 1 exists within the following 6th string root patterns:

Right facing
A Aeolian
A Dorian
A Phrygian

Left facing
C Ionian
C Lydian
C Mixolydian

Point being a box isn’t linked to a mode.

Which is why you can play the pentatonic of any chord in a diatonic progression, i.e. “follow the chord” with its pentatonic if you don’t know what mode to solo with.

Last edited:

CraigHollander

Blues Newbie
When you play Am not A7 Straight Am you can solo over that with aeolion pattern with root 6 position say A you can also solo it with A minor pentatonic box 1. Remember what I keep saying the chord determines the scales you use. Now what are the triads shapes of box 1 minor pentatonic and what are the triads of the scale What is the arpeggio shape of the Minor penatonic and the minor scale Where are the roots of both........ they overlap same position . There are uses to knowing what box is linked to what chord shape and what mode of the minor scale . Use of aeolian is not normal in straight blues more dorian and mixolydian as Griff states in the PDF however when you are just playing a minor song most revert only to pentatonic because they dont know the mode shapes. Because TMI FEAR of Million Scales etc crazy material on internet that sounds like a college professor scares them off from using other scales people actually mostly use minor or major pentatonic but in pop rock jazz country metal they also use modes not just pentatonic . I say again you have to crawl before you walk think small to get big I am personally only trying all this on for now 3 chord 12 bar blues format dom 7 chords period when I am confident in that can expand to other chords and type os solos. I can show find many many solos. The point is to see how it all fits together and what the goal and advantage to learning it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.